Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

October for riding alpine passes- too late?

So I'm thinking of a little holiday having a go at a few of the Alps classics, maybe basing myself in Bourg-d'Oisans or somewhere. But it looks like my window will be mid-October and I'm wondering whether that's going to be a problem?
I appreciate that there can be huge yearly variation for when the snow starts but apart from shorter days and chilly descents is there anything I should know?

Also, recommendations welcome for routes/bases/accommodation etc. Bourg-d'Oisans, Alpe d'Huez etc. are the honeypots but I'm as interested in good rides in nice places as ticking the big names.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

andy_schweiz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mid-October should be okay but don't blame me if you're stuck in a snow drift, after all, it can snow in the middle of Summer at 2000+ m. The first snow in Switzerland last year was at the end of October and it snowed properly! Check out this out....http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=12888724

Latest Comments