Home

Hello chaps
I have a uni assignment wherein I have to look at tools, so I chose the chain tool as I think it has room for improvement or at least change. I find chain tools a bit fiddly, what with having to move around the bike, swap the chain round or use off-handedley to replace the chain, amongst other such problems. So I was wondering if you guys would be willing to share some experiences with me, via comments on here, and via this 3 min survey

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K3PX782

Any comments regarding what you like/dislike about chain tools would be helpful

Thank you
Paul

10 comments

tarquin_foxglove [144 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I've filled it in.

In return I would like to know the results of the survey and your conclusion.

billyman [148 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

done, excellent choice of questions, a non fiddly non carbon damaging tool that is practical and affordable,

and can be stored in the bike..ie in the end of the handlebars, or inside a hollow seat post, or both

Raleigh [1667 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Are you doing Product design?

Cooks [494 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm studying design, but this module is predominantly product design. These surveys are totally invaluable, because the tendency is to come up with a porblem, and then only work on a solution for that problem, whereas the consensus here has been a different problem to what I was having. It has given me a few good ideas.

Also, as it got twitter'd by the forum, it got a few rt's, and the answers have more than doubled, for which I am totally grateful.

And Park Tools seem to be the best!!

Raleigh [1667 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Where are you doing it as well?

Cheers.

0 likes

open university. I have a busy life, no time for any other way  1

And, this was my favourite answer so far...

'Fuck you. This question shouldn't be required.'

spongebob [277 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Magnetic pin pushing bit for reinserting pins! Extendable handle for easier pin pushing

Tjuice [226 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Completed. Although you might have wanted to include an 'any other comments' box at the bottom. I just mashed my other comments into the other questions already on the form.

I have one of these:
http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Asaklitt-Chain-Link-Remover/34-8708
And I have found it to be really excellent. Handles 1/8" and 3/32" chains with ease. Not really portable, but I do (almost) all my chain work at home and think I have only once needed a chain tool on the road.

At present, as a hobby bike mechanic (I only work on my own/my family's fleet), I struggle to see what additional bells and whistles would make me want to get something more expensive.

0 likes

I was initialloy thinking about going down the bells and whistles route (including a hydraulic one handed, one way type affair) but from the survey I'm just going to work on solving the problems people already have.

pdows47 [103 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Done. I can see a great kickstarter campaign coming from this  10