Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pro Team kit - Naff or not

Having got back iinto cycling after years away my vintage (2002) Italian team jersey and winter jacket seem pretty cool.

I have a plain Loius Garneau top but still like the look of the Pro kit.

Now wanting to buy some new stuff, I would feel a bit silly in Sky kit because it is so well known but not sure whether to buy some 2013 Pro Team jerseys (quite like tge 2013 Radioshack Trek jersey) or get some Retro old designs.

Whats your thoughts on wearing recent Pro Team kit. Is it naff.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

58 comments

farrell replied to 3cylinder | 10 years ago
0 likes
3cylinder wrote:

would you really wear the Sky ultra tight mesh stuff Froome and Porte were rocking in the tour? Really?

That kit always set off my Old Gregg "Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other" radar.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

See this is the sort of attitude that most people find so perplexing....

I think tradition is perplexing! A bit like not crossing the path of a black cat, passing port to the left, not passing salt hand to hand, buying a round of drinks for a hole in one, not wheel-sucking etc. You cannot expect a sport that has been around for over a century to not have traditions.
I think people are getting 'wrong' mixed up with 'un-cool'. Most cyclists seem to say wearing champions jerseys is wrong or un-cool, this was made clear to me from day one of entering a club, but so is wearing Man U kit when you are not a 'true fan' whatever that means. But what about wearing a yellow jersey on the day a countryman or favoured rider of yours wins the yellow jersey? Do not take 'the rules' too seriously, but ignore them at your peril!
The transient nature of cycling teams means that wearing an up to date jersey makes you look like you are jumping on the bandwagon of success and/or are a newbie. I bought a La vie Claire top in Hinault's day I now wear it with pride but did not wear it at the time! Tradition...
Be safe out there and do not walk under any ladders!

The Rumpo Kid replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
3cylinder wrote:

would you really wear the Sky ultra tight mesh stuff Froome and Porte were rocking in the tour? Really?

That kit always set off my Old Gregg "Wanna go to a club where people wee on each other" radar.

I'm glad someone else thought that. I found myself reminded of Jake Shears. Disturbing.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

This one's been done to death already! Ref the Sky kit topic

Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

This thread has only been 'done to death' if you have been on this forum for a while. In fact I would think that most topics have been discussed here at some time or another.

So for those of us relatively new to cycling, we will keep asking the same old questions even if it is a bit irritating.

700c replied to Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:

This thread has only been 'done to death' if you have been on this forum for a while. In fact I would think that most topics have been discussed here at some time or another.

So for those of us relatively new to cycling, we will keep asking the same old questions even if it is a bit irritating.

Well, ok, but the last comment was just 2 weeks ago and the thread had 160 comments!.. For reference, this is the topic I, and others are referring to: http://road.cc/content/forum/84151-why-it-considered-wanky-wear-sky-kit

Arguments went back and forth but general consensus is wear what you like

Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

Orange retro San Pellegrino top arrived today. They were a cycling team from the 50's & 60's. Very pleased with it. There are some nice retro jerseys about. Thanks for all the comments.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice.

Agreed retro tops have some style and class lacking from the very modern team gear around today

Prendas ciclismo are great for the more unusual and retro tops, I highly recommend them.

Wearing my giro d'italia Maglia Nera top today, bit controversial but a lovely look, fit and feel as it's partly made from wool.

Leviathan replied to Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:

Orange retro San Pellegrino top arrived today.

I am assuming the 'retro' bit means it is not made of wool? *shudder* like in the good old days.

Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

No its not wool. They get old designs and make them from modern cycling materials. This one was made in Italy by Santini using 'Microsense' fabric, whatever that is.

ashfanman | 10 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

This one was made in Italy by Santini using 'Microsense' fabric, whatever that is.

It's made with a tiny bit of sense. One up from their 'nonsense' range.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with wool, or at least a wool mix -of my Jerseys the retro style wool mix one is the most comfortable.

It also suits the style well

jollygoodvelo replied to Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:

No its not wool. They get old designs and make them from modern cycling materials. This one was made in Italy by Santini using 'Microsense' fabric, whatever that is.

I was looking at that specific jersey the other day, love it. Would go well with black bibs. Might I ask how the sizing is? How big are you and what size did you get?

I'm a 41" chest so most of the Italian makes consider me morbidly obese.  4

andystorey replied to jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Send us an email to info [at] prendas.co.uk and we'll happily help you with sizing.

Height/weight/chest/waist normally help us get the size right....

Without that XL would cover a 41 chest

a.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Post deleted

Sensible replied to jollygoodvelo | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gizmo_ wrote:
Sensible wrote:

I was looking at that specific jersey the other day, love it. Would go well with black bibs. Might I ask how the sizing is? How big are you and what size did you get?

I'm a 41" chest so most of the Italian makes consider me morbidly obese.  4

The sizing chart was spot on for me. I am a 42.5-43" chest, 36" waist, 13 stone 6 lb, 5'11".
I went for an XXL 42-44 and it is perfect. Not too tight but not loose either. I would think you would be an XL.

KirinChris replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

Yellow/Pink/Rainbow etc jerseys aside, of course you can wear what you want on the bike. But just like if you were to wear an orange and pink t-shirt down the pub plastered with logos, don't expect not to get judged for it.
"Oh but what sort of dick is so shallow that they judge people for what they wear?"
It's the sort of dick who has eyes. And a sense of aesthetics.

It doesn't mean you're a bad person. It just means you are lacking in sartorial taste. That's absolutely fine.

If you care enough to ask, you care enough that you ought not to wear it.

Very well summarised.

The only thing I would add is that if you really want to wear team kit, join a club.

There are plenty of them out there, and they could probably use your support more than Team Sky or Radio Shack.

Dazza_Tee | 10 years ago
0 likes

Same as any other sporting team gear really:

- watching the sport, supporting 'your' team: ok to wear

- actual member of team participating the sport: ok to wear

-attending fancy dress party with theme "my favourite sporting hero": ok to wear

- practicing for same sport but at grassroots level and you are not a member of the team and not a kid: NAFF

- competing in same sport and you are not a member of team: NAFF. Also confusing and probably against the rules of the sport (but I have seen it)

-any other time: NAFF. And just plain unfashionable in the most basic sense.

Sensible replied to Dazza_Tee | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dazza_Tee wrote:

Same as any other sporting team gear really:

- watching the sport, supporting 'your' team: ok to wear

- actual member of team participating the sport: ok to wear

-attending fancy dress party with theme "my favourite sporting hero": ok to wear

- practicing for same sport but at grassroots level and you are not a member of the team and not a kid: NAFF

- competing in same sport and you are not a member of team: NAFF. Also confusing and probably against the rules of the sport (but I have seen it)o

-any other time: NAFF. And just plain unfashionable in the most basic sense.

In honesty, I was thinking the same as you when I started the thread. I do like the Radioshack shirt and was on the verge of buying it, but then wondered if other cyclists would take the p***. I know there is a train of thought that you wear what you like and sod everyone else. I wouln't say I'm a fashion victim but I do care what people think and I would have felt awkward n a current team top.
I am glad I have found the retro market. Some of the gear is understated and quite cool. There is also enough choice to keep me going for my cycking life.

pj replied to Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes
Sensible wrote:

that's most people; judging by the ridiculous number of nodders in full team kit out on the roads every weekend.

i came across the chopper in full-on expensive team kit recently on the edge of Bristol. total douche o'clock.

//farm6.staticflickr.com/5323/8921824839_fa5e2c021f_z.jpg)

pj replied to Sensible | 10 years ago
0 likes

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am sure I saw him riding round Devon with a whole bunch of others all in team kit last September... Talk about taking it too far, they even had replica team cars following them and presumably fake Police outriders!!!!
Talk about taking things too far..
And you can tell by the look on his face that he is sitting on a Chinarello  3

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Who cares? I rode up and around the the Pym Chair/Lamaload roads (Peak District) today and was so banjaxed that i could have moonwalked home to Sale quicker. I cant remember what I was wearing never mind everyone else. Although there was some vision in Pink. Marvelous.

ilovemytinbred | 10 years ago
0 likes

I dont care, it is just good to see people on bikes but I think it is especially nice when I see people in club kit. Its good to see who someone rides for, or where they are from. It often is a good conversation starter too.

pj | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for club kit.

don simon fbpe | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't really care, wearing pro team kit seems a bit odd to me. Club kit is absolutely fine, of course, otherwise wear what you want.
Now, baggies and peaked helmets on road bikes are another thing altogether..........

RPK | 10 years ago
0 likes

No different to wearing the team strip of your favourite soccer or rugby team.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

//24.media.tumblr.com/8025a5cacfa52febd1a5cdb5d076cbaa/tumblr_mq1na4yH1t1rqrqs1o3_1280.jpg)

i sort of like this, not sure how you would go about getting club kits from other countries though.

Basically if you like it wear it, but be prepared for someone to complain, it is the British way.

Pages

Latest Comments