Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Have you read Tyler Hamilton's book?

What did you think? I found it very thought provoking. I am not sure I feel sorry for him or if he wanted us to feel sorry for him. It certainly made me think; the weight control measures in particular...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

Squiggle | 10 years ago
0 likes

I loved it! Certainly my fav book of the year  1
I'm now halfway through Seven Deadly Sins which I'm enjoying but not as much as Secret Race

SideBurn replied to Squiggle | 10 years ago
0 likes
Squiggle wrote:

I loved it! Certainly my fav book of the year  1
I'm now halfway through Seven Deadly Sins which I'm enjoying but not as much as Secret Race

Full credit to David Walsh for his tenacious attitude but does David's book add anything to what we already know?

wheelsucker | 10 years ago
0 likes

fabulous book, I really rated him as a rider, felt he was held back bu LA and was really excited when he left Postal.
Then spookily he got done for PEDs?...just like all of LA's liuetenants do...did they have the complete LA formula? ah that one missing piece of the jigsaw.
I then went right off him with his chimera twin nonsense.
Read the book, nicely written couldn't put it down.
I have been involved in elite sport and the Olympic organisation and the early days of WADA and recall a questionaire (1980ish) that showed what we were all up against where 50% said they would dope if it gave them success even if it lead to an early death..the Goldman Dilema I think its called

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I forgot about that bit!

I enjoyed Laurent Fignon's more.

0 likes

I did buy David Millar's and I enjoyed it. I wasn't aware of the weight control stuff in Tyler's. Perhaps I should read it before you lot tell me too much about it!  4

SideBurn replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

I did buy David Millar's and I enjoyed it.  4

I have never liked David... I always thought he was as dull as last nights dishwater; he always seems to whinge and make excuses during dull interviews. I thought reading his book may ease my opinion... I have just got to the bit where he slags of Bradley Wiggins and says Bradley's 4th place in the Tour was just luck  39

0 likes

I keep picking it up in Waterstones, then deciding that I don't want to give him any money, and promptly putting it back down again.

SideBurn replied to notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

I keep picking it up in Waterstones, then deciding that I don't want to give him any money, and promptly putting it back down again.

I understand exactly how you feel, but I thought b****cks I will read it anyway!
I am glad I did, but I am not trying to sell the book, I just found it very thought provoking and wondered if anyone else found it so. I found the weight control measures almost as stunning as the doping, I was expecting the doping! I am now reading David Millar's book; which is hard work.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Simply put , a fascinating and what seems to be an honest and open account of things

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

One other thing that struck me about the book was how easy (and cheap) it is to dope; he says EPO is available over the counter in Switzerland. The expensive bit is having a Dr on board to get round the testing. How many amateur riders are on this s**t with no drug testing? You can buy many products that claim to be like EPO and testosterone, but are really just iron tablets and zinc, it suggests to me there are many out there who would be happy to give doping a go given half a chance.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

That is interesting Rumpo; I did wonder about it.
As for the 'what would you have done' question Sadly Biggins, as he says, he was told repeatedly that he was only doing illegally what could be done legally (EPO) he admits this is not quite right, but it is easy to see how anyone could be seduced. Again, reading Michele's site he (Michele) is still saying the same thing!

The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think the dog blood story might stem from the illicit use of Oxyglobin. This is used to treat anaemia in dogs, and being a veterinary drug is easier to get hold of than Hemopure, the human equivalent.

Sadly Biggins | 10 years ago
0 likes

It is a good, well-written book. I was distinctly in two minds about buying it because of his near decade of lying beforehand and the rampant use of PEDs. It is certainly an eye-opener though and shows just how easy it was to get away with cheating, or on the flip side how stupid or unlucky you had to be to get caught at the time. Arguably the book and Hamilton's change of attitude leading up to it (plus Landis and Tygart, of course) were also key in bringing the Armstrong case to its denouement. For those reasons, I'd recommend it.

I don't feel sorry for him and I don't think he wants anyone to do so. It did make me think what I would have done if I'd got to that level at the time only to find that the choices were (a) give it all up; or (b) cheat. I'd like to think I know what I would have done but I'm glad I never faced the choice.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Has anyone got issues with the book?
He describes a cannula in detail (the plastic needle used put in and remove blood) but seems to make a fundamental mistake while doing so? Surely he would be -very- familiar with one?
He also refers to a rider using dog blood; which would surely kill a human? But this was hearsay not what he had actually seen or done

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hadn't wanted to read yet more Armstrong-related 'bad news' but after everything that's been said I think it will be worthwhile.

Have now reserved one of the four copies in the county library (all are currently on loan).

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like to read Michele Ferrari's website, in it he has made a number of statements about riders weight. One of them being that the reason for Bradley's poor showing (for him) in the Giro was his low weight combined with the poor weather. I do not know how you could regulate this; a minimum body fat percentage?
Reading that Tyler rode all day and then took only water and sleeping pills afterwards? This was to reduce his body fat to 3.8% and get the magic 6.7 watts per kilo. This seems quite shocking, but is nothing compared to what fashion models get up to.... Models do not ride a 3 week tour but people still show concern for their low weight.

Nevetsyarg | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just finished reading it and found it a very honest and gripping read.

SideBurn replied to Nevetsyarg | 10 years ago
0 likes
Nevetsyarg wrote:

Just finished reading it and found it a very honest and gripping read.

I was reluctant to read it; my opinion of him and his cheating being poor. However history seems to have backed a lot of his allegations... I found the book difficult to put down!

BadbrainAJ | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think Hamilton intended for anyone to feel sorry for him.His book finally unlocked the door,to the Armstrong
lie machine.The weight control issue,is still fairly obvious in the pro peloton,assuming they are doing it Hamilton's way,by starvation (and not other methods)

Latest Comments