Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride London food advice

Riding on Sunday and realised that I have to leave home at 4.30 for the 12 mile cycle to the start. So my question is what to eat? I imagine its pasta for supper but what to eat at 4 when you are going to be starting at 6.30? Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can get food poisoning from eating reheated rice. Seriously.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/can-reheating-rice-cause-food-poisoning.aspx...

@bashthebox - no need for anxiety, it's just another bike ride (albeit a long one). Have a great time everyone!

And don't come on here bragging afterwards without evidence. As the phrase goes, "photos, or it didn't happen". Right?  3

MCbrown01 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am setting off a bit later a 5 - but I will being having my usual pre-ride breakfast of some reheated basmati rice, soy sauce, spicy sauce and a couple of fried eggs. Admittedly an acquired taste but it's a recipie from the feed zone which is cracking cycling specific cook book. Have a good ride!

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm dreading the early start / pre-ride lack of sleep anxiety.

I'll be downing as much porridge as I can manage that early, and having a coffee and, please god let it, a good evacuation.

Uuurgh. 4.30. Urhg.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stuffing yourself at 4am? Bonkers.

Soak some muesli, nuts and dried fruit overnight and eat some before you leave and a bit more when you arrive with a banana or something similar.

What and how much you eat (and when) during the ride is far more relevant than what you consume beforehand.

I agree with nic that eating too much the night before, particularly meat or fat, is counterproductive. And don't eat too late, you need time to digest it properly.

700c replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

Stuffing yourself at 4am? Bonkers.

Agreed. What's worse is getting up at 4.30 to take someone to the start (well, 5 miles before the start), and not getting to ride yourself!  20

nicstevenson | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd suggest not trying to eat an absolutely huge breakfast too close to setting out to ride to the start - might just make yourself feel sick... instead, go for a bowl of muesli with mashed banana, then take another banana and some flapjacks with you to eat at the start. Go bland and slow-release carb heavy I would say!

Oh and make your saturday night pasta wholemeal if possible... without too much cheese or meat - best to consume as many carbs as possible, save protein for afterwards!

David Arthur @d... | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you don't have time for porridge, get a massive bowl of cereal/muesli down you, and if you have time some scrambled eggs on toast.

If you do find you don't get the perfect breakfast down you, don't panic, just start eating and drinking earlier on the ride, and continue to do that regularly throughout the ride. Do that and you should be fine.

Northernbikeguy | 10 years ago
0 likes

The usual advice is porridge or muesli and then maybe a banana at the start.

Personally though, I like to start all my big rides with a bowl of Weetos or a packet of Pain Au Chocolat.

Oh but it's a big ride so don't try anything new in case you make yourself sick.

Latest Comments