Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

36 spokes - one broken - can i just remove spoke and keep on riding... forever?

One spoke broke, can I keep on riding and not worry about it. That wheel looks like it has a lot spokes (36 in total).

I know, I'm lazy.  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

been riding for two years and never had one broken spoke on any of my three bikes... so I am going to blame the creator of this thread off I get one soon lol.

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is it front or rear - front is particulary easy to fix, even more so that repairing a puncture (and even the rear will only involve taking off the cassette at most)

sm replied to TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes
TheHatter wrote:

Is it front or rear - front is particulary easy to fix, even more so that repairing a puncture (and even the rear will only involve taking off the cassette at most)

Agreed - I think sourcing the correct size spoke is my biggest problem. I'll order a few and see what fits!

racingcondor | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't advise it long term. Yeah the good thing about high spoke counts is that you can ridw them home with a broken spoke but most homes aren't thousands of miles.

PM me the hub and rim brand and model and I can probably give you the spoke lengh. It's best measured properly but it souns like you're looking for a minimum fuss fix.

sm replied to racingcondor | 10 years ago
0 likes
racingcondor wrote:

PM me the hub and rim brand and model and I can probably give you the spoke lengh.

Lovely offer, thank you however I have no idea what hub and rims are on this thing (second hand / no markings on hub or rim).

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

In the sunnny north east, love my lbs always so helpfull,

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

I hav 36 spokes rear mavic cxp 1 snapped no problem kept riding no problem, took it to lbs cost £6 to replace and retrue why go to trouble to do it urself wen ot is gonna be less than a tenner

sm replied to issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes
issacforce wrote:

took it to lbs cost £6 to replace and retrue

If I can find an LBS round here to do it for £6 bucks I'm in. Forget about finding spokes, maybe I just need to find a decent LBS (North London).

Raleigh replied to sm | 10 years ago
0 likes
sm wrote:

maybe I just need to find a decent LBS (North London).

Erm. Condor on Gray's Inn Rd.

Paul J | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can keep riding, but, in addition to your wheel being out of true, you will find that another spoke will break and quicker than the first. That'll lead to another spoke breaking quicker again, and so on.

It's actually pretty easy to fix spokes. Your LBS should be able to match up the spoke for you, and have a spoke tool. You can use the brake blocks as a cheap-man's wheel truing feelers. Just remember to use very small increments (quarter-turns of the spoke tool) for the final dialing-in of the spoke tension.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

No.....don't do it....what you have to do is

GET A PINK SPOKE and replace it  19  19

sm replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

GET A PINK SPOKE and replace it  19  19

Not a bad idea, at least one spoke would match my bar tape  3

KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes. But it will go out of true quicker in that spot over time. I have a Workcycles FR8 with three spokes missing for years (damaged hub flange), wheel still perfectly true despite carrying a 70+ kg load at times.

sm replied to KiwiMike | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Mike - that seems the easiest answer. Getting the right spoke measurement and finding a single spoke replacement online looks a pain. 35 spokes and onwards I go...

Latest Comments