Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

giving blood. Any problems

Hi there
I'm due to give give blood tomorrow and do the ride London thing on Sunday. I've done this distance before but not in the week before a big ride. This should be ok shouldn't it or should I swerve it?
Cheers
Andrew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

18 comments

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you do intensive exercise the day before you donate it could mean you fail the Haemoglobin/Iron test they do if your levels are naturally not especially high. If you pass the thumb prick test after an 80 mile sportive then that's a sign your blood doping  3

keef66 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm doing an 80 mile sportive on Sunday, so I opted for a donation on Monday. Somebody is going to be getting a pint of tired blood!

Cooks | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't give it all...

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Although yeah it will probably be fine.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

My expert advice... is to seek expert advice.

Don't take medical advice from faceless people on the internet.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Give your blood mate, its worth it and you can always do another ride.

Due to having extensive tattoo's i'm not allowed to give blood for a while which is a shame as its a worthwhile cause.

farrell replied to Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes
stumps wrote:

Due to having extensive tattoo's i'm not allowed to give blood for a while which is a shame as its a worthwhile cause.

To be fair, having ACAB tattooed across your knuckles was a fairly bad idea, both personally and professionally wasn't it?

I've often found that going out on the piss straight after donating blood has "interesting" effects. Although I do recommend lining your stomach with the free biscuits, tea and orange squash.

DrJDog replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I gave blood then went out many years ago. Fainted twice the next morning when trying to take a whiz. Couldn't work out what was happening when I was waking up on the floor of the toilet.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

Tyler Hamilton says it makes you feel a bit washed out for days afterwards! Reading his book suggests that it affects you for two weeks. It is putting it back in that is the dodgy bit, gives you the chills... according to him  4

Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure it'll be fine but probably worth mentioning to the nurse during the pre blood giving check and let her confirm (rather than let us lot give you the all clear based on internet searches and our own experience).  1

After all, we are all different and don't know your personal health history.

Hat off to you for donating!

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just look at it as altitude training....what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't worry should be fine!

+1 snappyandrew

snappyandrew | 10 years ago
0 likes

My Spanish doctor assures me it's fine

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looking to shift a few cells to avoid that high hematocrit you know is just around the corner?

MartyMcCann | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should be fine- my donation sessions are usually always on a Friday and don't imnpact on rides on Saturday or Sunday-I just avoid going out on the Friday evening. Still useful excuse to have if you get dropped though!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Q: How long will it take to replenish the pint?

A: Blood volume is replaced within 24 hours. Red cells need about 4 to 8 weeks for complete replacement. You need to wait 56 days or 8 weeks to donate again.

Q: How will I feel after donation?

A: Most people feel great! Donors who know what to expect and have eaten regular meals before donating are usually fine. After donating, drink extra fluids for the next 24 hours.

Q: How soon after donating can I get back to my regular routine?

A: Right away. Just avoid lifting, pushing or picking up heavy objects for about 4 or 5 hours after giving blood.

http://www.bnl.gov/hr/blooddrive/FAQ.asp

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Your body should have fully recovered by Sunday. If you look up online how long it takes to restore the pint of blood, I'm pretty sure its just a couple of days and you should have no adverse effects.

If it was tomorrow you were doing the ride, I would be wary, but its 5 days after your donation, you should be fine

didds replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

If you look up online how long it takes to restore the pint of blood, I'm pretty sure its just a couple of days

Its quicker than that if you know a bloke with a moped...

didds

Latest Comments