Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Another newbie(ish) trying to find the right bike!

Hi,

I've managed to get myslef a fairly well paying internship this summer (breaking the trend of most uni students!) and so now I am finally ready to part with my hard-earned cash to buy a new bike. I'm basically looking for an endurance style bike since I'm likely to be doing longer rides, sportives, charity rides etc with my mates, nothing serious. The advice that I got from my local bike shop was either a Specialized Secteur Sport, Giant Defy 2 or a Bianchi Nirone 7 - all based on the three brands that they stock.

Since then, Ive found out that my dad may be able to get a bike with a decent discount through his work. This got me thinking that there must be other bikes available online and in larger bike shops that I should take into consideration, only problem is that I have no idea what ones to look for!

So I'm looking at spending below £1000 and preferably want bikes that are readily available online(wiggle, evans etc.) or in larger bike shops...

Thanks in advance,

Jack

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

jaw1g11 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info, now I just have to take that big step and actually buy something haha

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 to what juanerasmoe said.

juanerasmoe | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got a giant defy 3 for less than 600 in Edinburgh bicycle coop (you just have to ask nicely for a discount), and I could not be happier.
My advise would be to buy a defy 2 or 3, and save some cash for stuff like mudguards, clothes, pedals and shoes.

TeamCC | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi Jack, if you like something at Capital Cycles write to me at team [at] capitalcycles.co.uk and I will work out a great deal for what you need.

Additionally, some internships offer cycle to work scheme benefits! That can help you either save money or buy more bike/ accessories. All you need to do is ask the company. It doesn't cost them a bit except some time to file the paperwork.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just because you're doing lots of mileage doesn't mean you need an endurance marketed bike.

Look at the alloy Canyons, and if you don't like the look of them just buy a Planet X pro carbon for a grand.

Don't forget pedals/cleats and stuff.

Al__S | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got a Ribble Sportive Bianco at Christmas. I've been very very happy with it, my first "proper" road bike at this sort of price- though I did spend £1200 on mine. If you want to upgrade components, you might even consider their alloy range- barely any heavier, fair bit cheaper.

I was told they had a bad rep for customer service, but they've been great with me, and most of the complaints I could fine on the web were several years old.

Latest Comments