Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gabba or Josette jersey?

Given that the British weather is reverting to type I'm looking for a waterproof short sleeve jersey for the changeable rainy/sunny days. I've always fancied the Castelli Gabba but have also considered the Café Du Cycliste Josette Jersey. I'm aware the the gabba is the choice of the pro peleton but in terms of styling I lean more towards the minimal aesthetic of rapha than logo-heavy pro kit, so the Josette is catching my eye more than the gabba. That said, functionality and performance are my highest priorities.

Both are pretty much the same price so I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of either jersey? Or both?

My concerns are:

How long does the waterproof treatment last?

Do I need to wash it with tech-wash? If so, every time? Every other time? Once in a blue moon...?

If I wore it on a day like today (20C with some pretty heavy showers) would I overheat in between showers without having the zip fully open?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm all about the black! Flouro oversocks when it's grim is enough for me.

Have put the gabba thru its paces this week and it's performed superbly. I can't really think of many bits of my kit that I'm 100% happy with but so far the gabba is up there!

nick1c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am tempted by something like this but why are they mostly black? - extra hot in the sun & low visibility in poor conditions, the changeable weather they are designed for!!!!!!!
The only one I would consider is the flouro Gabba.

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have he long-sleeve Gabba. It's perfect. The only thing is that I haven't really had to wear in a sustained shower for a long-time. But if it was 'totally' water tight then Castelli wouldn't do the pocket liner (and Muur). Great for showers, and not really worrying about mixed weather though.

I don't know about the Josette, but I don't think you'll be looking back and worrying about the performance. A good buy.

TrekBikesUK | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh, I was just about to chime in and say I recently purchased a Josette. I actually get excited about wearing it.

The waterproofing is also in the fabric of this jersey.

Mr Jono | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for advice guys. Have opted for the gabba, currently £105 at sigma sport who have stock in all sizes in black and yellow. Also went for nanoflex arm and knee warmers. Sorted!

monty dog | 10 years ago
0 likes

My experience with the Gabba is that you'll get damp over time - it's not waterproof like a hardshell. Whilst the membrane fabric continues to work fine, you need to retreat the outer to maintain the water beading properties. You'll need to regularly wash or you'll stink! It does start to get a little warm when working hard from the mid-teens upwards - likewise, it's not a deep-winter top either.

russyparkin | 10 years ago
0 likes

i have a gabba and its very good. wear it pretty much all the time apart from the 20c +.

the treatment is in the material so in thoery will never wash out. its not a complete solution water will get in but the main thing is it keeps you warm and dries out very quickly.
my winter plan is - merino base layer/gabba/nano flex warmers/ endura compact shell on top for really damp days.

in regard to techwash. probably wont do any harm but mine has been washed 30+ times and water still beads nicely.

for hot days 20c is going to keep you at your upper end (i rode in 19c tonight) and on the flats downs perfect up the hills just half zipped and wasnt horrifically hot.
there are some cons to the top but the pros so so outweigh them. i will wear mine proably 80% of the year. on the verge of buying a second.

they are that good

Latest Comments