Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New to Road Bike - Typical 'Which One' Dilemma

I'm another road bike newbie, or at least trying to be having been with a MTB these past many years, and have narrowed down my choice to 3 new machines all available locally to me on the high street:

Specialized Secteur Elite 2013
Trek Domane 2.3C 2013
Giant Defy 1 Compact 2014

Have tested out all 3, they are about the same in £££ and each one is comfortable to me (I'm 1.83m and 83kg) in the appropriate frame size. I'm aiming to do the C2C later this year and expect to enjoy the experience and thus keep on riding. I don't expect to have a winter/summer bike choices in the future; upgrades aren't on the horizon yet.

There is obviously much expert knowledge out there in road.cc land that I hope will help in the final selection from my short-list; I know that there are loads of other bikes I haven't even heard of though but don't want to prevaricate forever! It's taken me 2 months to get this far

Is there something that makes one of the above 3 bikes stand out - good or bad - to help me decide? I know that this 'ask' is entirely subjective but member's thoughts on any aspect of my final 3 would be welcomed. I'm sure that my quest may seem fairly tedious to experienced road riders but I have to start somewhere.

Cheerzmadeerz

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't think you'll go very far wrong with any of these, but just to add that Giant get very good write up's at the moment, and that the secteur is perhaps the less well received of the three in the cycling press.

You'll get happy owners of all the reporting back how much they love their bike!

dustyrunning replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks indeed for your inputs and I had provisionally put the Specialized at 3rd choice on my informal list, not that on the face of it there is much between all of them.

I'll have another go on the Giant & Trek machines to see which which one just 'shades' it and then do the deal over the next couple of weeks. Availability doesn't seem to be a problem.

Will keep looking here though in case someone has a 'clincher' based on first hand knowledge etc.

Simon E replied to dustyrunning | 10 years ago
0 likes
dustyrunning wrote:

Will keep looking here though in case someone has a 'clincher' based on first hand knowledge etc.

They're all great bikes. You need to choose for yourself.

dustyrunning replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Will do; have done; Trek it is.

Simon E replied to dustyrunning | 10 years ago
0 likes
dustyrunning wrote:

Will do; have done; Trek it is.

Excellent!  16

Hope you enjoy it. Awaiting the 'first ride' report...

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hello There and welcome to the forum.
My personal opining would be the trek domance 2.3. Ask for last year’s models bikes there has been some i have seen for 2k down to 1k and more bike for money.at the end of the day it comes down to you and what sutes you

Latest Comments