Recommend me an inexpensive turbo trainer

by fxceltic   July 26, 2013  

afternoon all, my birthday is coming up and I am considering a turbo trainer.

Never had one before, but I guess I want one that is relatively inexpensive (saw one on amazon for about £60 but could go double that), and is easy to use with my road bike (specialized allez sport).

Also, I would like to get some of the dvds for famous climbs like alp d'huez etc, I read somewhere that the right turbo can be connected and the correct resistance applied automatically depending on where you are on the climb, is that right? Sounds awesome if so, possibly expensive though.

Anyway, never had one before so any good advice welcome.
cheers

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I don't know any to recommend at the moment, but with a project to get a recumbent onto a turbo I'll be looking soon aswell.

But the one that connects up to the computer and does everything you suggest runs at over £1000 Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8658 posts]
26th July 2013 - 16:01

like this
Like (5)

For videos I can whole heartedly recommend any of The Suffferfest videos. Images of going up famous climbs doesn't really do it for me, but structured workouts with footage of pro races and a great sense of humour are the only thing that keep me sane on there!

posted by pirnie [183 posts]
26th July 2013 - 16:18

like this
Like (3)

Wave

posted by Ducksfan8197 [3 posts]
27th July 2013 - 14:10

like this
Like (4)

Don't think you'll get the full virtual reality climbing experience for anything less than the value of your bike unfortunately, which is probably 'tail wagging the dog' a bit. However, what you can do is look at trainerroad.com, that will allow you train with power on the cheap. First you buy a turbo that is on their list of calibrated units (there are loads) then get yourself a £40 ANT+ cadence sensor and follow the instructions. I'll probably do it myself this winter. Combine with videos of the sufferfest which are also good.

If I could have, say, 6 bikes, would it stop me drooling over others that I don't have?

posted by notfastenough [2912 posts]
28th July 2013 - 8:29

like this
Like (4)

Rollers, not turbo..far more fun.

Fringe's picture

posted by Fringe [1081 posts]
28th July 2013 - 12:07

like this
Like (6)

You won't find what you want for £60.00. but if you keep a look out for a Cateye C1000 turbo trainer second hand, these are no longer made, you will have all you need with the addition of a cadence computer. The National Track Squad use these even now, indestructible.

antonio

antonio's picture

posted by antonio [927 posts]
29th July 2013 - 8:43

like this
Like (4)

pirnie wrote:
For videos I can whole heartedly recommend any of The Suffferfest videos. Images of going up famous climbs doesn't really do it for me, but structured workouts with footage of pro races and a great sense of humour are the only thing that keep me sane on there!

+1 for the sufferfest has completely revitalised my indoor training, cannot recommend them highly enough.

posted by stepho [102 posts]
29th July 2013 - 9:36

like this
Like (4)