Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike

Looking at new bikes and wondering what can I get to be used for commuting mainly but still able to have some fun at weekends on? Budget is max £600! Tight I know! Oh and I'm a snob so NO halfords or evans brands please!  16

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

You could also consult road.cc's list of the best £500-£900 bikes:

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/71216-best-£500-£900-road-bikes

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well you're looking at the right time, since the end of season sales are starting to kick in. I'd look for something around £800, then watch for the reductions. Think Evans have started, Cycle Surgery will be soon etc...

Shanefutcher | 10 years ago
0 likes

Merlin cycle store- Sensa Umbria sora at £510.enough left in budget to buy some look keo pedals at half price £24.then sell wheels on new bike and put a bit of money to the sale to buy some lighter wheels

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm considering that cherry red boardman, looks good. I have a good bike, I'd just rather keep it from being wrecked over winter. I have no problem with Halfords or evans, its the in house brands mainly! I keep scouring ebay but never seem to see anything thats quite right, never the right size! Just wondered if there were any suggestions...

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nothing wrong with brands sold in halfords or Evans, in fact that's where I'd look with £600 to spend...

Otherwise I think you'd be better off getting 2nd hand if you want something more unique

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

Visit some shops and see what that have that fits and takes your fancy. All bikes are great nowadays, you're spoilt for choice.

Giant Defy would be my choice.

goldtop | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was in a similar position recently. My lbs stock mostly Trek Cannondale and Giant and reckoned there was very little between them. They did reckon the Giant Defy 3 was on balance the best bet, although IIRC was around £650...haggle?

I eventually bought a used Bianchi Nirone 7 because they have good reviews and more importantly look fantastic....probably as good a reason as anything at this price point. After overcoming a few niggles I now love it  1

Latest Comments