Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Tour de France - Stage 18, Gap > Alpe-d’Huez

Massive day ahead and I've got the rest of the week off work so I'll be glued to the TV tomorrow afternoon  4

Having major problems picking my team.  Got a few riders I want to pick but can only afford a selection of them.

Contador and Kreuziger are on the up, could they threaten Froome and try to put a chunk of time into him tomorrow?  If so, which is the preferred rider?  Contador should be the team leader but he's still not earning any World Tour points after his ban so are the team better off supporting Kreuziger?

Mollema and Ten Dam just seem to be trying to hold on.  Can they do anything else now?

Quintana seems to have the white jersey wrapped up, does he think he can win yellow or will he settle for a stage win?  Can Kwiatkowski do anything during the last week to catch the Columbian revelation?

Rolland has come out and written off his chances of winning the polka dot jersey.  Is he bluffing?  If not, which of the last stages will he target for a stage win?

I have no answers and no idea who'll be in my team tomorrow  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

79 comments

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rolland looks nervous on the descent and Contador attacking  4

Timbo13 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bonnet abandons. That's my 3 Frenchmen challenge gone to pot.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Was not expecting this from Moser - he'd been pretty quiet up to today.

Sadly cannot watch today's stage, but not encouraged by Rolland's apparent dodginess on the descent. Still can't call a winner today (probably Nieve, seeing as I'd dropped him).

And Billy Bonnet's out of it now, meaning a lot of people changing their plans a tiny bit for Sunday!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gap at 5 minutes, Anton and Serpa attacking, Schleck, Ten Dam and Mollema getting dropped from the yellow group.

Movistar reeled in Contador easily and he struggled to get back in the group.

No idea what's going to happen. Riblon for the win?

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gap has come down 2 minutes in 3km. This could still come back together for a Quintana win.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

J-Rod all the way!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

And now Froome goes! He's up with Anton, Valverde and Serpa, rest of the GC group in tatters. 10km to go and the gap down to 4'20". Looks like Nieve, Rolland, Fuglsang all dropped from the main group.

0 likes

Hmm, spoke 10 secs too soon as Froome goes and only Quintana can follow!

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Kreuziger cracked. Quintana could jump to 3rd tonight. Contador doesn't look good.

Froome gone again and only Quintana can keep up. Rodriguez, Porte, Valverde and Contador left from the GC group and they can't keep up.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rodriguez and Moreno trying to make their way up to Froome, Contador looks dead. Moreno pulls over, he's done.

Rodriguez makes his way up to Froome, Quintana. These three might work together to distance Contador. My picked not looking quite so good.

Quintana going for the stage, he's pulling From me up the hill.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Crap, Contador now dropped by Porte and Valverde, he's blown it today  20

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rodriguez attacks, Froome can't follow, he's just trying to stay on Quintana's wheel.

0 likes

I don't trust the time-checks on screen, feels like these three are closing the gap a bit more here - can Tejay hold on?

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Amazing from TJVG, twice up the Alpe in the break plus a minute lost due to a mechanical on the Sarenne descent and he's still staying out in front. If only he'd had a better first couple of weeks.

Kreuziger up with Contador. Pair of them are cooked.

Nieve up with Contador. Somehow Porte has caught Froome!

qwerky | 10 years ago
0 likes

What happened to Contador, he was ahead on the descent but then got behind and I didn't see how. Did he have mechanical trouble, go off the road?

0 likes

Just clocked them through the 5km flag and the screen-time seems about right so I was wrong about that - amazing ride from Tejay if he can hold them off as Quintana chases him down...

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Movistar put their whole team on the front and pulled Contador back.

I think the time gaps are right, time it at 3'20" between TJVG and Froome.

Can't believe Froome, he's popped, had to illegally take on water and food, the race directors won't be happy with that.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Riblon coming back! Think he might haul TJ back, I'll take that, 5 bonus points for Bardet.

0 likes

Riblon not out of it yet actually, seems to be coming back...

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Tejay is done, can't respond and is drooped. Fuglsang dropping Contador/Kreuziger, both Saxo boys are buggered. Riblon looks like he'll take the stage as Quintana still 3 minutes behind.

0 likes

Awesome from Riblon, didn't realise he had that kind of climb in him. Froome will be a footnote in the French papers now, they'll act as if Riblon's won the Tour!

Knew there was a reason I brought in Gadret...

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Remember, you will only get the 5's for AG2R riders if they finish the stage, I can see alot of time outs today  19

0 likes

Rogers up to 8th on GC Ghedebrav...

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

3,4,6,7 in my purist team  4

4,7,9,10,12 standard.

0 likes

Good work on purist Stumps!

My std was as good as I could've hoped, 4,5,7,9,19 with only Schleck failing and no penalties.

Tomorrow might be tougher to call though, a lot of guys will want to make the breakaway.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Aye, only Ten Dam from my gc boys let me down with my standard but i've got a 20 pointer to take off as well.

Saint Mikie 41 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well the first stage this year I actually got to watch live and managed to get 1,4,7 and 10  1

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

4,7,9,10 at least none of the riders i was pondering got in the top 20

stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes

.....and Froome fakes a bad day again in the mountains to shake off the accusations that he is a doper!  3

Not too good a day for me 4,7,9,11 plus schleck for the mountain points and 1/2/3 on the overall Froome still in poker dots. maybe not soooo bad but have to use a transfer for Bonnet and Navarro's a flop so probably take him out. penalties on the final day it will be.

rcorbin | 10 years ago
0 likes

running a comp at work and got asked to pick some people for my colleagues team earlier. Told her to put Riblon in her team but then didn't listen to my advice  14  14

Gradually starting to slip down the table, not sure whether to stick with Rolland now?

He had a go today and then gave up so may be keen tomorrow.

Nieve v Riblon for the dots could be a decent battle.

Pages

Latest Comments