Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aluminium Lighter??

When I had a cut tyre on my Pinnacle Stratus 3 bought a few years ago I had to resort to Lettice, the French mixte I rescued from the tip until I got a new tyre.

I decided to weigh both bikes in similar set up, including rack. I did this by standing on he scales and holding each bike in turn. Guess what, both readings the same at about 90Kg. Now I weigh about 77Kg in shorts and shoes so the bikes both weigh about 13 Kg. Not bad for a bike frame from around 1980.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

adriank999 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Alan, thanks for the info, Lettice has simple alloy rims, what looks like light handlebars and old Michelin tyres which may well be lighter than the Pinnacle. I didn't weigh with locks as my D lock must be 2-3 Kg and when I put my bike bag on it increases the weight, the inner tube, patches, Allen keys, two cables, first aid kit, hat, 1/2 litre of drink plus the water in the bottle ....... no kitchen sink though. It amazes me when you see riders apparently without even a repair outfit or pump on the Bath Bristol cycle path. Perhaps I am a bit over cautious  1

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

A frame is only about 10-15% of the weight of a bike, the components are more significant. My cheap (£600 - bottom of the range with triple chainset) Specialized Secteur comes in at 11.2kg with rack and a few other bits and bobs and that's aluminium with carbon fork and the wheels are none too light. Use the same weighing method; not sure how accurate it is but probably good enough. Don't know much about the Pinnacle bike but that seems a little heavy for a modern bike - nearly 2kg heavier than mine. And when I ride it with my lock and tool bag, which takes the weight up to 13kg, I can tell the difference.

Did my weighing so I could have two bikes on Strava; one with and one without my lock and tool bag, as I assume it takes the weight into consideration when calculating power. Therefore I can compare performances with both set-ups.

Latest Comments