Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

If you had £1500 to spend...

Hi guys
Wanted some opinions off here,if you had 1500 to spend on a carbon road bike either new or used what would you be looking at?
I've been considering a planet x,a focus cayo or maybe a canyon/used cervelo and was looking for some others opinions on what I should go for. Looking to do longer rides and club/group rides too.
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Charles_Hunter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't know what your thoughts on buying used is but I recently bought a used canyon ultimate aluminium, for ~£800, the seller also had the canyon ultimate carbon fiber and said he preferred the ride of the al, the ride of the cf was a little too stiff but if that's what you are after maybe the cf is for you.
A 56size with rival/force mix with decent wheels comes in at 7.3kg including pedals and two bottle cages.

Best of luck with your search.

matttheaudit | 10 years ago
0 likes

Merckx EMX-1. bang on budget at evans but even cheaper at winstanleys.

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd 2nd the roubaix - wait till they clear this year's models and pick up a deal - that's what I did

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 to wait for discounts on 2013 bikes if you want a bargain.

All the bikes are brilliant these days, and there's no point a bunch of strangers giving you their preferences. You need to visit some showrooms and pick one that fits you and you are happy with it.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fan of Spesh. So comfort = Roubaix and I believe there is a model currently around £1800 so that should fall under budget.

It depends how racy you want the bike really.

waterfall | 10 years ago
0 likes

That's a good plan domestique,any particular models I should keep an eye out for?
Do canyon/focus tend to be heavily discounted does anyone know? Quite like the look of the ultimate cf
I asked my lbs who told me they will only discount their focus stock when the new range arrives in November! Don't want to wait that long!

downfader | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you go for a custom set up I can recommend the Kinesis TK2 frame for an all-year ride. Long drop brakes needed (get the Shimano ones as they're great). I originally built mine up for about £2k but if you go for 105 or Tiagra stuff you should be able to get the price down.

If carbon is a must then look at Pinarello too. Last years models might be available in some shops and they start quite cheap now.... well "cheap" LOL

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

This close to the 2014 stuff hitting the shop floors I'd hold fire a few weeks and get something carbon that is reduced from circa £2k.

Just imho.

we8ster | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cannondale CAAD 10, it's an aluminium frame but just as light as a cheap carbon bike, and more robust, should you take a tumble!

Latest Comments