Home

Hi guys
Wanted some opinions off here,if you had 1500 to spend on a carbon road bike either new or used what would you be looking at?
I've been considering a planet x,a focus cayo or maybe a canyon/used cervelo and was looking for some others opinions on what I should go for. Looking to do longer rides and club/group rides too.
Thanks

9 comments

we8ster [15 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Cannondale CAAD 10, it's an aluminium frame but just as light as a cheap carbon bike, and more robust, should you take a tumble!

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

This close to the 2014 stuff hitting the shop floors I'd hold fire a few weeks and get something carbon that is reduced from circa £2k.

Just imho.

downfader [203 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

If you go for a custom set up I can recommend the Kinesis TK2 frame for an all-year ride. Long drop brakes needed (get the Shimano ones as they're great). I originally built mine up for about £2k but if you go for 105 or Tiagra stuff you should be able to get the price down.

If carbon is a must then look at Pinarello too. Last years models might be available in some shops and they start quite cheap now.... well "cheap" LOL

waterfall [5 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

That's a good plan domestique,any particular models I should keep an eye out for?
Do canyon/focus tend to be heavily discounted does anyone know? Quite like the look of the ultimate cf
I asked my lbs who told me they will only discount their focus stock when the new range arrives in November! Don't want to wait that long!

Super Domestique [1605 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm a big fan of Spesh. So comfort = Roubaix and I believe there is a model currently around £1800 so that should fall under budget.

It depends how racy you want the bike really.

Simon E [2775 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

+1 to wait for discounts on 2013 bikes if you want a bargain.

All the bikes are brilliant these days, and there's no point a bunch of strangers giving you their preferences. You need to visit some showrooms and pick one that fits you and you are happy with it.

arfa [766 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I'd 2nd the roubaix - wait till they clear this year's models and pick up a deal - that's what I did

matttheaudit [73 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Merckx EMX-1. bang on budget at evans but even cheaper at winstanleys.

Charles_Hunter [149 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I don't know what your thoughts on buying used is but I recently bought a used canyon ultimate aluminium, for ~£800, the seller also had the canyon ultimate carbon fiber and said he preferred the ride of the al, the ride of the cf was a little too stiff but if that's what you are after maybe the cf is for you.
A 56size with rival/force mix with decent wheels comes in at 7.3kg including pedals and two bottle cages.

Best of luck with your search.