Tour de France Stage 15 - MONT VENTOUX-

by STEVESPRO 79   July 13, 2013  

Well after a lot of indecision and several attempts, I have finally settled on my line up for the battle up Mont Ventoux.
I have taken a 10 point penalty but realistically got 8 riders who can score...

105 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Hurrah, summit finish podium badge Big Grin

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:34

2 Likes

stumps wrote:
There will be a group who get away (i bet 90% will be French) and they will hit Ventoux with a 7 minute gap to the GC boys who will then set a pace to the top that will ultimately shed everyone bar about 6 riders -

Froome
Quintana
Mollema
Contador
Valverde
Rodriguez.

Out of that group i hope Froome kicks their arses and wins by a country mile. Happy days Big Grin

Nice prediction stumps, epic win again from Froome dog! Applause

'Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you'

livestrongnick's picture

posted by livestrongnick [1831 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:34

1 Like

So how long before the Sky haters come out again with the dopping accusations again? Angry

livestrongnick's picture

14th July 2013 - 15:35

1 Like

1,2,3 on the stage and nothing much else. Will probably drop places tonight but it was a cracking stage.

posted by drheaton [3429 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:36

3 Likes

1,2,8,9 much better day for me Whew!

livestrongnick's picture

14th July 2013 - 15:45

4 Likes

1,2,3,9 plus points for Rolland and El Fares. With GC and mountain table points should be pretty good.

Purist: 1, 2, 15

Cycling News 1,2,3,5,8,9,13,19. Good start to my big week there.

Roaduk 1, 2, 8, 9. Gives me a better idea for the last few transfers I've got there.

posted by Alan Tullett [1455 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:51

3 Likes

Froome
Quintana
Nieve
Purito
Kreuziger
Contador
Fuglsang
Mollema
Ten Dam
Peraud
De Clerq
Rogers
Valverde
Martin
Porte
Moreno
Gesink
Kwia
Bardet
Monfort

14th July 2013 - 15:54

1 Like

Chavanal got combativity.

Now for a ride with my wife. A fantasy cycling widow.

14th July 2013 - 15:55

1 Like

1,2,5,6 not sure if that's good enough as a few ahead of me have Nieve Sad

posted by rcorbin [208 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:57

6 Likes

1,2,3 plus a couple of other odd scraps of points. Not bad, but I should've let head rule heart and put in the the two Belkin boys rather than my patriotic punts on Rolland and Bardet.

Rest day next, will need a bit of time to think through the next stage's picks.

Ghedebrav's picture

posted by Ghedebrav [1098 posts]
14th July 2013 - 15:59

1 Like

Ghedebrav wrote:
1,2,3 plus a couple of other odd scraps of points. Not bad, but I should've let head rule heart and put in the the two Belkin boys rather than my patriotic punts on Rolland and Bardet.

Rest day next, will need a bit of time to think through the next stage's picks.

Went for Rolland. More for Tues. than today, but put in Ten Dam as a cheap version of Mollema. If I'd gone Mollema could have won the stage with El Fares 3 points as I think 12389 is the best team possible given the points.

14th July 2013 - 16:11

2 Likes

Oooooooooohh.....1,2,3,8 and a few points from El Fares! And I have 5 riders in place for Stage 16. Coolio Cool

adholman's picture

posted by adholman [80 posts]
14th July 2013 - 16:12

1 Like

Alan Tullett wrote:
Chavanal got combativity..

Sigh

Alan Tullett wrote:
Now for a ride with my wife. A fantasy cycling widow.

Heh heh! Smile

Vive Le Road.cc Fantasy Cycling Game!

posted by enrique [1747 posts]
14th July 2013 - 16:13

3 Likes

Lobato is lanterne rouge. Bonnet 3rd last!

14th July 2013 - 16:22

4 Likes

STEVESPRO 79 wrote:
QUINTANA
FUGLSANG
KWIATOWSKI
SCHLECK
SERPA
NAVARRO
NIEVE
MOLLEMA
FISCHER

That's a pretty nice team for today...

14th July 2013 - 16:32

2 Likes

Hivert was last home, 17 mins after Lobato

14th July 2013 - 16:45

1 Like

Anyone know Froome's climb time and where it ranks among previous Ventoux ascents?

Pretty good day for me with 1,3,8,10 but feeling a bit stupid for not shoehorning Quintana into my squad.

posted by chokofingrz [287 posts]
14th July 2013 - 16:50

2 Likes

enrique wrote:
Alan Tullett wrote:
Bet Quintana's killing himself for soft-pedalling the ITT (under team orders of course!).

Why do you get the impression he soft-pedalled? Being the No. 2 man on the team, back then, I don't think they would have asked him to do that Thinking

I think they didn't want a Froome/Wiggins kind of debate. But a minute behind Serpa after what he's shown today. I don't think that's lack of talent or energy. It backfired though but he could still get second and the white jersey and I think we'll see a different IT performance on Wed. (PS I had in my team that day, that's why I'm sore about it. Of course I can't prove I'm right.)

14th July 2013 - 16:55

2 Likes

chokofingrz wrote:
Anyone know Froome's climb time and where it ranks among previous Ventoux ascents?

it was fast, but not super-fast, judging by what people are saying on twitter. 49 mins or so

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7381 posts]
14th July 2013 - 16:56

1 Like

Dave Atkinson wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

it was fast, but not super-fast, judging by what people are saying on twitter. 49 mins or so

55 is the record, they said on Eurosport on an IT stage in the CdD.

14th July 2013 - 17:00

1 Like

rcorbin wrote:
Hivert was last home, 17 mins after Lobato

You're right. But will he have made the time cut? That'd be 10 for my 3 Frenchmen, which is probably more than for Pinot.

14th July 2013 - 17:04

0 Likes

Couldn't make my mind up between Ten Dam / Krueziger and Martin / Navarro. Plumped for Martin / Navarro - how wrong can you get Sad

Never mind the main man won Big Grin

‘It is useless to meet revenge with revenge: it will heal nothing.’

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2757 posts]
14th July 2013 - 17:33

0 Likes

rcorbin wrote:

Christopher Froome (SKY)
Alberto Contador (SAX)
Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (MOV)
Roman Kreuziger (SAX)
John Gadret (ALM)
Murilo Antonio Fischer (FDJ)
Christophe Le Mevel (COF)
William Bonnet (FDJ)

... I think I can pretty much stick with the core of my team now for the rest of the week... I should have at least 6 by Sunday to get the sprinters back in...

Really nice strategy and it just might work! Saw you came up one spot today and that the 5 users above you are all Standard! You might just pull it off! Wow! Thinking

14th July 2013 - 17:53

1 Like

The fact Thursday-Saturday will involve similar riders will help as I can bank transfers.

I've still got 110 points to make up which may seem a lot, but there are lots of fantasy points up for grabs. I can afford to gamble with KOM points whereas the leaders may play safe?

We'll know after Friday I think who will win the overall

14th July 2013 - 18:09

1 Like

rcorbin wrote:
... there are lots of fantasy points up for grabs.... KOM points...

I hadn't thought about that. Hmmm... there are KM points on offer for Wednesday's time trial, right? And Voeckler will try his hand, and odds are Rolland will take a shot at reclaiming the polka dot jersey! Smile Yep, there's a still alot to play for! Smile

14th July 2013 - 18:14

0 Likes

Alan Tullett wrote:

You're Sean Kelly's Rear Wheel? Stage 1 didn't work out as a bonus stage, did it? That messed up a lot of teams. We've got 4 the same. Chavanal might work out for you today. I need Alpe d'Huez to go to form to stand a chance of winning.

I had problems with the transfers last night as well at first. After 11:01 they didn't appear. I was getting worried I can tell you. Eventually logged out and then back in again and they appeared. Phew!!

Yep - Stage 1 was a disaster. I made 4 transfers yesterday but got deducted 6 - think because I changed two halfway through, though I didn't save so should have only been 4 - we'll see.

Good luck with Alpe d'Huez - you must have a chance.

posted by andynic [48 posts]
14th July 2013 - 18:51

1 Like

ray silvester wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Ive gone this

Froome
Mollema
Quintana
Fuglsang (as much with tuesday in mind)
Ten Dam
Hoogerland
Fischer
Mederal

Will use all 4 transfers we get for tuesday as I think the top 5 will contain riders similar to a previous stage so will take a risk on that Thinking It may leave me a tad vulnerable for the ITT, but I think its a difficult one to predict.

As for rcuk, I was gonna bring in froome today, but didn't wanna have to take him out again for Sagan on tuesday, so he will come in for Wednesday and then my team is set until the end, with 3 transfers for the last stage

Thinking of the stage Sagan won no doubt?

Nope actually he came 2nd

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3962 posts]
14th July 2013 - 21:11

1 Like

Alan Tullett wrote:
Dave Atkinson wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

55 is the record, they said on Eurosport on an IT stage in the CdD.

sub-46 is the record, Iban Mayo. Pantani did it in 46 which is the fastest non-TT time i think

Dave Atkinson's picture

14th July 2013 - 21:20

0 Likes

oh hang on, that 49' time is just for the last 15km, my bad.

Dave Atkinson's picture

14th July 2013 - 21:46

0 Likes

Larens ten Dam is posting his rides on Strava, assuming they started at the same time and taking the most suitable from the number of segments for the climb for then:

LtD rode the "Mont Ventoux de Bedoin - TDF Arrive" segment in one hour and 43 seconds.

Froome's advantage over LtD at the finish was 1 minute 53 seconds

Froome therefore rode the climb in 58 minutes and 50 seconds. Approximately.

LtD is currently KoM, until Sky release Froome's data Wink

posted by Bagpuss [101 posts]
15th July 2013 - 19:12

1 Like