Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Disc equipped Do-It-All bike

Hello All

I've been looking for a disc equipped bike for some time now. It would like it to be light and responsive enough for me to stay with the race/road bikes on the club run as well as take a rack and mudguards for some light load carrying. Compliant enough to be used for granfondos and able to run 35mm tyres for some gravel tracks and mild off-road.

After looking around I ordered a BMC GF02 Disk about 6 weeks ago. However, it's still not arrived and now I have an email from BMC to say there aren't any available! Uh?

Can anyone suggest any alternatives? The Boardman CX seems close but is a fair bit heavier.

TIA

Andrew

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

wormscoffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got my Boardman CX Team and am currently in the middle of the Le Mans 24HR Velo race. It's going round the Bugatti circuit on a pair of road tyres just fine!

buntercc | 10 years ago
0 likes

love my kinesis crosslight pro 6...

Cyboo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Got a replacement BMC, still got the machining thing but much less crude a job, apart from a poor initial set up by Evans on the front derailleur (was perfect on the original bike) and the chain breaking after less than 5 miles (:O ) it is brilliant and am very pleased.

Velo_Dom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Beacon

0 likes

I've not had the chance to ride any of the bikes I've been considering but have managed to settle on a Boardman Team CX which should be arriving today.

It'll be interesting to see how this sector of the market evolves over the next 12 months.

Thanks for all the replies.

Philiprints | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hey there I've got a kinesis pro 6 disc frame for sale if you're interested- it's 60 in red....

Cyboo | 10 years ago
0 likes

First time poster.. Hi.

I briefly had a GF02 Disc, it was a long wait and I was not disappointed on the test ride, responsive, fast and comfortable plus looked really good.

However when I got it home I noticed some post painting process machining where the rear disc brake calliper mounts on to the frame. The brakes are different to that in the marketing pictures, components change sure but the machining was pretty crude and with no response from BMC via Evans, plus discovering they all have the same thing, I decided to take it back.

Possibly me just being picky but for the price, the premium brand and future peace of mind I will keep looking.

0 likes

I think a second hand Boardman CX Team is the current favourite. It maybe doesn't have as much vertical compliance as the BMC and is a bit heavier but I'm rather drooling over the Raleigh options coming next year.

Thanks for everyone's input.

JimiTwoShoes | 10 years ago
0 likes

If the OP is still looking for a BMC GF02 Disc, Evans have restocked. Might want to be quick mind!

Cheb | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe worth checking out the Whyte Saxon Cross

0 likes

The Seven looks lovely but I think the price might be prohibitive.

I'm thinking the Kinesis might be my best option as I can then just use the SRAM kit off my steel bike which I like so much, but this Rose looks like it's worth considering.

http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/product/detail/aid:612209

RichTheRoadie | 10 years ago
0 likes

(those are 650B wheels btw)

RichTheRoadie | 10 years ago
0 likes
Iwein Dekoninck | 10 years ago
0 likes

Or the Kinesis Pro6. Like the Tripster, but with a slightly racier geometry. I use it for cyclocross, commuting, Audaxing and I'm sure would be fine on club runs.

othello | 10 years ago
0 likes

Kinesis Tripster ATR?

Wooliferkins | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jez Ash | 10 years ago
0 likes

I got a Boardman CX. It's cracking value, have used it for commuting (mix of road and towpath), touring, a lot of 100km+ club runs. Don't know how much the BMC weighs, but the Boardman is one of the lighter disc-equipped bikes for the price (or at least was when I got mine a year ago).

I upgraded the wheels (as the stock ones are absurdly heavy, like 2.2kg or something), cables and bar tape and that's it. Done 3000 miles or so on it. No hesitations in recommending.

wormscoffer replied to Jez Ash | 10 years ago
0 likes

The BMC is quoted at 8.55 Kg though I've yet to see one in the flesh. It's RRP is £1500.

Scottyroyal | 10 years ago
0 likes

Felt F5x (carbon) or F65x (alloy)
http://www.cxmagazine.com/felts-2014-f2x-f5x-f65x-sea-otter-2013

2014 bikes should be here in 2-3 weeks.

I've been riding a 2013 F65x for hte last year and love it, do exactly what you plan to do and just swap tyres between 25mm slicks, 32mm slicks or CX tyres depending on what i'm using it for.

Scot

Latest Comments