Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What! No 'The Cycle Show' thread?

Already on to page 2 (of mainly criticism) over on stw.

Anyone here watch it?

I'm fully determined to focus on the positives and be pleased that cycling has grown enough to warrant a show.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

You can get an S Works Venge for about £8.5k which would be more direct comparison but then the 2 bikes tested could fill the race bike / training bike roles for e.g. Also I believe the S Works version is sold out.

I saw it more of a showcase than comparison tbh.

MartyMcCann | 10 years ago
0 likes

I feel Graham Little is a bit out of his depth in some interviews but you can't fault his enthusiasm-I suppose he is stuck between accommodating long-term cycling fans and other members of the public who may not be as knowledgeable. I'm going to the recording of the Belfast edition next week, so it will be interesting to see how much is chopped out of the version that makes it to TV.

JeevesBath | 10 years ago
0 likes

Haven't watched it yet, was planning to tonight. Whatever it's failings, I'm sure it will help pass the time pleasantly whilst ironing...  37

chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes

The show is stuffed full of useless information like which is better, a Specialized Venge or a Pinarello Dogma. Who cares?

I feel they also put too much emphasis on celebrities of cycling, e.g. they have guests on like Graeme Obree, Alex Dowsett, Eddy Merckx. They could do to dial down the brown-nosing and show us some real locations and bike rides that ordinary people are doing.

Super Domestique replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

The show is stuffed full of useless information like which is better, a Specialized Venge or a Pinarello Dogma. Who cares?

Cough cough......  3

andycoventry replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:
chokofingrz wrote:

Cough cough......  3

To me it felt like a bit of a useless comparison, like comparing a Golf GTI to an R8 - both are fast but completely different price points.

If you wanted to spend 3k you would buy the Venge, 9k you would buy the Dogma, both of which outside the price range of the majority of cyclists. Seemed like a useless comparison to me.

paulfg42 replied to chokofingrz | 10 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

I feel they also put too much emphasis on celebrities of cycling, e.g. they have guests on like Graeme Obree, Alex Dowsett, Eddy Merckx. They could do to dial down the brown-nosing and show us some real locations and bike rides that ordinary people are doing.

Where else on tv can we access interviews with the likes of Obree, Merckx etc? That's stuff that caters for a much wider audience than a focus on an area of the country or a sportive that will have little relevance for many riders.

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Missed it, but well remember the car crash that was Graham Obree and Gary Fisher on together, the pair of them were a pair of juddering loons and they had no video to cut away to. Hope it is slicker this year.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

The review caught my interest!

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well I guess people on here will want a roadie specific show, but I can't imagine producers see enough demand to warrant that

What they have instead provided is a bit simplistic and diluted however it's better than nothing, and you have to start somewhere

I'll be watching next week

Psycling | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree. The show may be a little simplistic to dyed in the wool cyclists but the sport is growing in popularity and its great that cycling is becoming mainstream. The hour long programme is much improved over the half hour format.

Latest Comments