Home

So first set of mountains are behind us, and boy were they fun!
Now for a few more flats and an ITT

46 comments

Avatar
Gkam84 [9080 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I am purely stage hunting now, well out of the overall and I NEED a new pump, so took a 50 point penalty aiming for the ITT  26

Avatar
backflipbedlem [1194 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Yea same. Was never in with a chance for overall. Loaded up with sprinters today. Couple of in n outs for 2moro

Avatar
chrisdstripes [1716 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Closing in on top 50 so will try to consolidate this week and contemplate some risks in the Alps!

Three sprinters in today, but kept Froome for tomorrow. (Could've swapped for Sagan/Greipel but would mean an extra 20 penalty points tomorrow)

Looks like a long coastal run-in so fingers crossed the right guys stay clear of trouble...

Froome
Cav
Kittel
Kristoff
Nieve
Hoogerland/Le Mevel/Muravyev/El Fares

Watch out for the early deadline tomorrow peeps! (sorry to be a spoilsport if anyone was keeping that under their hats...)

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

6 tranfers for me, gone all in on the sprint. Had a shocking first week and well outside the top 200, need to be aggresive if I want to make my way back up into the top 100.

Avatar
backflipbedlem [1194 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
chrisdstripes wrote:

Watch out for the early deadline tomorrow peeps! (sorry to be a spoilsport if anyone was keeping that under their hats...)

How do you find out deadline times?

Avatar
livestrongnick [2118 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Watch out for the early deadline tomorrow peeps! (sorry to be a spoilsport if anyone was keeping that under their hats...)

How do you find out deadline times?

On the Fantasy Cycling page click stages and a list of the current stages and transfer deadlines appears  26

Avatar
backflipbedlem [1194 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:
backflipbedlem wrote:
chrisdstripes wrote:

Watch out for the early deadline tomorrow peeps! (sorry to be a spoilsport if anyone was keeping that under their hats...)

How do you find out deadline times?

On the Fantasy Cycling page click stages and a list of the current stages and transfer deadlines appears  26

Snap!

I'm not gonna be mean! similar times to the Giro.

Wed Jul 10 2013, 0900

Cheers for the heads up!

Avatar
Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm not stage-hunting, just looking for a respectable overall position (and maybe some badges!)

Made a couple of penalty transfers yesterday (annoyingly one of my riders pulled out, so it was one more pen than I'd have liked) and will be making one further penalty each day for the next couple of days.

TBH if I was stage-hunting, I wouldn't be doing it on the ITT as lots of other folks will have the same idea.

Stage 14 might be a good target, though  3

Avatar
Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Also perhaps daftly I have NO Sagan today. Gone for a Cav/Greipel/Kittel/Kristoff shock and awe bunch sprint showdown.

Avatar
dave atkinson [6201 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

come on cheaper sprinters! today's your day!

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Like I said, all in on the sprint, 6 changes (20 penalty points) so I have

Sagan
Cavendish
Greipel
Kittel
D Van Poppel
El Fares
Mederel
Fischer
Gutierrez (DNS)

Given my lowly overall position I think I'll be throwing a few penalty transfers at my team in order to maximise points each day and hope that keeps me ahead of people sticking to two transfers a day.

Avatar
captain_slog [334 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Got a good feeling about Vuillermoz.

I hope this isn't one of those stages that everyone swears is going to be a bunch finish but then all the sprinters roll in half an hour behind, blown apart by hills that nobody noticed before/a headwind/Cannondale.

Who's good at echelons?

Avatar
chokofingrz [404 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I need Cavendish to not be there at the sprint finish today...

Avatar
livestrongnick [2118 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

4 transfers today

Cav
Kittel
Griepel
D V P

Tuft
Quintana
Mederel
Oroz
Willems

 4

Avatar
livestrongnick [2118 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

5 man break with 4:23' after 57km

OROZ
SIMON
MATE MARDONES
WESTRA
COUSIN

Avatar
Wig_Billy [577 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Like I said, all in on the sprint, 6 changes (20 penalty points) so I have

Sagan
Cavendish
Greipel
Kittel
D Van Poppel
El Fares
Mederel
Fischer
Gutierrez (DNS)

Given my lowly overall position I think I'll be throwing a few penalty transfers at my team in order to maximise points each day and hope that keeps me ahead of people sticking to two transfers a day.

I'm in a very similar position to you and I have a very similar team (just swap Fischer for Bono), but my strategy is very different. I'm going to bank transfers until stage 14 or 15 or 16 (I haven't decided which yet :?), then have some fun trying to get a stage win in the final week.

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Wig_Billy wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Like I said, all in on the sprint, 6 changes (20 penalty points) so I have

Sagan
Cavendish
Greipel
Kittel
D Van Poppel
El Fares
Mederel
Fischer
Gutierrez (DNS)

Given my lowly overall position I think I'll be throwing a few penalty transfers at my team in order to maximise points each day and hope that keeps me ahead of people sticking to two transfers a day.

I'm in a very similar position to you and I have a very similar team (just swap Fischer for Bono), but my strategy is very different. I'm going to bank transfers until stage 14 or 15 or 16 (I haven't decided which yet :?), then have some fun trying to get a stage win in the final week.

I considered that but thought it'd be more fun just to ignore the penalty numbers and put whatever team I want together. Banking transfers then taking a risk and getting it wrong wouldn't be fun  2

Plan is to probably drop 4/5 tonight for TTers then same again for sprinters after tomorrow. Then see what the terrain brings. I am tempted to ignore the TT entirely and save 4 transfers by keeping my team the same for Thursday but I'm still harbouring hope of a solid overall position (not that I can do much from 230th).

In the end I might plump for a middle ground and just make one or two changes tonight.

Avatar
johnny2names [198 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

I was away at the w/e and ended up not logging in at all- thus making no transfers between 8 and 9, and getting 28th place! I'm sure I would have done worse had I fiddled, so I'm delighted with the result and the extra 2 transfers. ive made 4 for today + carrying 2 over, giving me:

cav
greipel
kittel
DVP
Mollema
4 fillers

hoping for my first 1-2-3 of the tour....

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Had a think and done a little bit of 'back of the envelope' maths and I reckon it's better (overall) to make transfers tonight rather than bank them over the TT.

If I keep Cav for tomorrow he'll score max 8-10 points (3-5 for points jersey plus 5 for Tony Martin if he wins), add two transfers to that (10 points each as that's the cost of making those as penalties assuming I don't save them) gives me a max cost of 30 points. If I swap him for Tony Martin then that's probably a net 5 point gain. If I swap him for Froome that's potentially higher as I get more jersey points.

If I apply this to Greipel (3-5 points for jerseys plus 20 in transfers) it's actually more beneficial as there's be no team bonus. Same applies to Sagan.

So I think I'll drop Greipel/Sagan tonight for Martin/Froome or some other combo and probably still come out 20-30 points up (at best). It's risky though, if Martin tanks or Froome doesn't top 5 I'm down on points and transfers.

Avatar
chokofingrz [404 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

So, hands up anyone else who's already been foiled in their attempts to line up with three OPQ riders tomorrow?

Avatar
johnny2names [198 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
chokofingrz wrote:

So, hands up anyone else who's already been foiled in their attempts to line up with three OPQ riders tomorrow?

It crossed my mind  1

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

1. Mate (COF) 15pts
2. Westra (VCD) 14pts
3. Simon (SOJ) 13pts
4. Cousin (EUC) 12pts
5. Oroz (EUS) 11pts
6. Greipel (LTB) 10pts - at 2'25"
7. Sagan (CAN) 9pts
8. Cavendish (OPQ) 8pts
9. Flecha (VCD) 7pts
10. Rojas (MOV) 6pts
11. Sabatini (CAN) 5pts
12. Bodnar (CAN) 4pts
13. De Gendt (VCD) 3pts
14. Chavanel (OPQ) 2pts
15. Stannard (SKY) 1pt

I considered Simon as a wildcard for the finish, that won't happen know but he's probably scored more points at the intermediate sprint than he'd have managed at the finish anyway!

Avatar
captain_slog [334 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Well I picked the wrong Sojasun guys, no surprise there.

I have got Cousin in my purists, though, a decision made doubly fortuitous by the fact that he's sporting such a stylish moustache. Is there anyone else in the peloton similarly adorned? (No, Peter, that doesn't count.)

Avatar
Alan Tullett [1566 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

Gone

Sagan
Cav
Greipel
Lobato
D van Poppel

still have one transfer in hand. I think there are more points available today than tomorrow so brought in Sagan for Froome. Needs to come 5th or above to make a profit. Will make 2/3 transfers for the ITT; 2 expensive maybe 1 cheap.

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
captain_slog wrote:

Well I picked the wrong Sojasun guys, no surprise there.

I have got Cousin in my purists, though, a decision made doubly fortuitous by the fact that he's sporting such a stylish moustache. Is there anyone else in the peloton similarly adorned? (No, Peter, that doesn't count.)

Good news for your purists, Cousin gets most combative.

Avatar
Alan Tullett [1566 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

2,3,4,9

Lobato got held up by the crash. Maybe need Kittel next time as well. Have to free up some points.

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes

The top five of the 10th stage is:

1. Marcel Kittel (GER) ARG
2. André Greipel (GER) LTB
3. Mark Cavendish (GBR) OPQ
4. Peter Sagan (SLO) CAN
5. William Bonnet (FRA) FDJ
6. Kristoff
7. Dumoulin (S)
8. Reza
9. Van Poppel (D)
10. Rojas
11. Goss
12. Henderson
13. Gene
14. Lemoine
15. Flecha
16. El Fares
17. Ferrari
18. Garcia
19. Dumoulin (T)
20. Jeannesson

Bugger, tried to force Bonnet into my team this morning but couldn't afford him without dropping Van Poppel and thought DVP would score higher.

Avatar
Alan Tullett [1566 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

The top five of the 10th stage is:

1. Marcel Kittel (GER) ARG
2. André Greipel (GER) LTB
3. Mark Cavendish (GBR) OPQ
4. Peter Sagan (SLO) CAN
5. William Bonnet (FRA) FDJ
6. Kristoff
7. Dumoulin (S)
8. Reza
9. Van Poppel (D)
10. Rojas
11. Goss
12. Henderson
13. Gene
14. Lemoine
15. Flecha
16. El Fares
17. Ferrari
18. Garcia
19. Dumoulin (T)
20. Jeannesson

Bugger, tried to force Bonnet into my team this morning but couldn't afford him without dropping Van Poppel and thought DVP would score higher.

It's the first points he's scored for a long time. Might be worth thinking about now with Bouhanni out.

Avatar
captain_slog [334 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Good news for your purists, Cousin gets most combative

Yay! It was the tache wot won it.

Avatar
drheaton [3318 posts] 2 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

It's the first points he's scored for a long time. Might be worth thinking about now with Bouhanni out.

That's exactly why I'd thought of him, he should be FDJs sprinter for the rest of the race now they've lost Bouhanni, there's no one else as good left in the team.

Pages