Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

pedelec conversion kit

Hi everyone,
I am considering a pedelec conversion kit I tow a bike trailer a lot! It can weigh up to 30kg and the area I live is quite hilly. I can ride up to 30 miles with the trailer. I would like a pedal sensor rather than a twist throttle. I do not want to register the bike as a vehicle so that means 250w and 15 mph. I have been told by a bike shop that the BionX kit is not that reliable so I am not interested in them. I would like to know as any experience people have had with any and all pedelec conversion kits and would I be better getting a ready built pedelec bike?
thanks a lot everyone
Tired old Fart

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

xenki | 8 years ago
0 likes

I can suggest you the add-e, it is light, it only weights 2 kg, it can go up to 50km/h, and it can be mounted within 1 minute.

You can check their products here:
http://www.add-e.de/5-add-e

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't have experience with the leaf motor, its well priced, but doesn't give you great options for gearing.

I have experience with the Crystalyte because I installed it on a friends bike. Very simply to do and you just fit a cassette and hook it all up.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't have reflectors installed on the trike and never had an issue.

So rear hub motors, but keeping a decent range of gearing, you want to be looking at Crystalyte.

If you didn't want gearing and wanted to bad ass. Then you need a 1000w Leaf Motor  3 http://www.leafmotor.com/bike-conversion-kit.html

Also, another simpler option, if its only want towing a trailer and depending on what you put in the trailer. Have a look at an electric trailer, then there is no need to modify you bike at all http://www.ridekick.com/

tired old fart replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think the cop was just an anti cyclist. He was clearly supprised that I knew what I was talking about where the rear reflector was concerned. I think I have seen that leaf motor on ebay do you have experience of it yourself? I will have a good look at them tomorrow. Thanks very much for your help so far I got a few options to look at now
Thanks
Tired Old Fart

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

250w might be the "legal maximum", my LBS hires out more powerful than that and also sells them.

So I wouldn't worry about it, have you ever seen an electric bike being stopped and the police trying to figure out the power of the motor...nah neither have I.

What are you wanting to do? A rear or front hub kit? Front is easier to work with.

tired old fart replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was intending to go with a rear motor as that would be more like regular bike as they are driven from the rear by the pedals. TBH the local cops are a bit anti bike so I am not sure how long it will be before they get onto the e bike thing.
I have been pulled in the daytime for no red rear reflector, even though I was displaying four red lights, and according to the road traffic act the reflectors are for if and when the bike is parked at the side of the road. Which I don't do as I have neither a prop stand nor the desire to have the bike stolen.
Thanks

Latest Comments