Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

TDF Stage 8 Castres --> Ax 3 Domaines

Hello mountains!  4

Getting in early with this as I'm out on a ride tomorrow AM. I've enjoyed the Tour up to now, but this stage is the first one I've put a big circle round in the calendar.

So does anybody dare reveal their plans? Who has saved their transfers? Who are we tipping for the win?

I won't say who I've picked, but I will say that I've gone for a spread of a few mid-20 guys rather than a big GC feller. I reckon Contador will go for the win, but fancy Rolland to crest the first HC climb in the lead. I'm basing these predictions on absolutely nothing, by the way.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

122 comments

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not looking good for my team  39 what to do tomorrow  39

Also Alan, I forgot to make my changes to my RCUK team  20

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nieve up there. That should pay for my pens!!

Alan Tullett replied to TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

It's tricky having so many teams, but there are so few transfers in that game you may be better off using them in the last week more when you know who is good. Used 5 so far but tomorrow may not be a GC stage. I expect a break to stay away tomorrow.

0 likes

134 for roaduk
13 for cycling news

0 likes

Where did mollema come from haha

Not as bad as I thought, 1,4 and 9 and think Martin snuck into the top 20. Navarro a let down

Now the question is will Rolland go in the break tomorrow  39

0 likes

Froome
Porte
Valverde
Mollema
Ten Dam
Nieve

129 purist with mountain and young rider points
136 standard plus Rolland (but with a pen of 30)

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Where did mollema come from haha

Not as bad as I thought, 1,4 and 9 and think Martin snuck into the top 20. Navarro a let down

Now the question is will Rolland go in the break tomorrow  39

I damn well hope so because that's what I put him in for. I think a break could finally stick tomorrow especially as there isn't a summit finish.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

hoogs in the break, and 1, 2, 6, 9 and 15. that'll do  4

0 likes

Well its gonna be Rolland, Nieve and Le Mevel in for Martin, Navarro and Bono for my team.

When I picked my team team I didn't realize Nieve was that cheap otherwise I would have put him in instead of Navarro today, (as could have had Gadret then as well I think) my bad

0 likes

This is good for my purists. Could have 1, 2 there.

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

Quintana combative (no complaints from enrique he has him)

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oh well

stevemarks replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

hoping for shock and awe from sky today. probably won't get it  39

Froome
Porte
Quintana
Martin
Nieve
Palacios
Le Mevel
Hoogerland
El Fares

Congrats! Dave what a great team call!

stevemarks replied to TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Oh Sugar! me too and I only just realalised

thefatcyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rohan Dennis last, clearly a mistake waiting while Garmin finalised him when picking my team.

Alan Tullett replied to Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes
Alan Tullett wrote:

Quintana 15 points (good for my purists).
Rolland 12 points
Anton 10 points
Kennaugh 8
Porte 6
Froome 5
Valverde 4

I think from watching TV.

21 points so far for standard; 26 for purist.

Actually the commentators got it wrong.Just checked on the official classification and it was Nieve with the points. Couldn't see his number to check as they often get it wrong. Good day for Dave and me with that pick!

I think one of us should be a commentator because half the time they know f*** a** about it!!!!

0 likes

rohan dennis in my purist team too. let's hope he struggles all the way to paris, eh  19

Alan Tullett replied to stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Oh Sugar! me too and I only just realalised

Oops!! 282 points today, up to 99th overall. But Pinot and Niemiec didn't perform. They won't be back! But with so few transfers in that game all is not lost. Still a long way to go, even for Froome. Reckon Quintana could win it if he wasn't under team orders but he did a great job for Valverde today. Doubt if he's even going for the polka dots although he could probably win that as well as yellow if he was free.

hoopy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Daaaaang Froome looked good today.

0 likes
TERatcliffe26 wrote:

Well its gonna be Rolland, Nieve and Le Mevel in for Martin, Navarro and Bono for my team.

When I picked my team team I didn't realize Nieve was that cheap otherwise I would have put him in instead of Navarro today, (as could have had Gadret then as well I think) my bad

Don't think Nieve will do anything tomorrow. He's the GC rider now for sure. Thought he might be the mountain points rider, but that seems to be Anton, who might be a better bet tomorrow. I've got Le Mevel; had him from the start but I'll be pleasantly surprised if he does anything. Don't pick El Fares though, he has a dodgy knee.

Correction: Nieve got the points on the HC. But too far up GC to go for mountain points tomorrow or if he does the break will be pulled back, which to be honest is the ideal scenario for me. Maybe he was hedging his bets for later on. Sicard could go on the break tomorrow; that's what I'm hoping for. But it might be too tough for him. He could try 14 but I think Cannondale will shut that down. Not many chances for break artists this year I fear!

Finally I might actually leave my team alone. And really save some transfers instead of just saying I'm going too. (I've taken 6 pens so far!!)

Alan Tullett replied to stevemarks | 10 years ago
0 likes
stevemarks wrote:
Dave Atkinson wrote:

hoping for shock and awe from sky today. probably won't get it  39

Froome
Porte
Quintana
Martin
Nieve
Palacios
Le Mevel
Hoogerland
El Fares

Congrats! Dave what a great team call!

Agreed! Partly my purist team. Hoping Rolland will make more points over the two days though!! But what a ride from Quintana; he's going to light up this Tour.

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

UMMM  39 Boy Van Poppel has been given his brothers(Danny)8 intermediate sprint points?  26

0 likes

Purist 184
Standard 120 after 30 point penalty.

Think my purist has more chance than my standard if that continues.

dave atkinson replied to livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes
livestrongnick wrote:

UMMM  39 Boy Van Poppel has been given his brothers(Danny)8 intermediate sprint points?  26

duly noted, that'll get sorted.

backflipbedlem | 10 years ago
0 likes

46pts better than nothing!

livestrongnick replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:
livestrongnick wrote:

duly noted, that'll get sorted.

Merci Mr Dave  4
Takes me up 120 points for today  16 not too shabby and green arrows too boot!

0 likes

I was gonna bring Nieve in as my safe pick, as Navarro is well down, and Rolland as my break pick, but we shall see

Didn't realise you had a 30 point penalty Alan.

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Dave, Danny Van Poppel still showing as 0 points in my team ?

0 likes

not going to re-update now, everyone'll doing their transfers

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well not being a Froome fan, that cost me dearly today....However I have to say Mr.Froome that was very impressive... Simply awesome performance...

Pages

Latest Comments