Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Best bike carrier?

Looking to buy a bike rack and probably aiming to get a Thule one. Need a 3 + 1 version. How will it fit on the tow bar? Also need to have a tow bar put on the Volvo XC60. Any advice gratefully received.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

FMOAB | 10 years ago
0 likes

I like the towbar mounted carrier myself as my wife wouldn't be able to manage the stretch required by a roof rack, that and I'm terrified of over-tightening the clamps used on roof racks and crushing the down tube.

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally I would go for roof mounted as it would negate the whole blocking of lights, vision and overhang issues on European roads. As long as they were sturdy ones the only issue you would have, as far as I’m aware, would be any height restrictions you would also need to tell the ferry/train about this if you go abroad. Bloody expensive this transportation of bikes lark what with the roof bars, cycle rack or tow hitch versions and the added fuel consumption probably better off with a van but then they sting you some other way  2

Latest Comments