Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Squeaky cleats

I've recently got some second hand (but good nick) Time RXS carbon pedals and a new pair of cleats, but the buggers are squeaking like I've somehow trapped a mouse between them. My shoes have carbon soles, but all the bolts are tight so I think it's between the cleat and pedal.

Any ideas? On quiet roads it drives me a bit nuts!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

ade | 10 years ago
0 likes

GT85 worked a treat. I have the pedals and cleats a good squirt, wiped off the excess and left them all to dry - squeaks gone!

Cheers all.

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

That would just smell wrong

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

GT85 is a better polish than a lubricant as it has teflon in it. It's too dry to cause you to slide. Does the same job as the beeswax in Mr Sheen but your feet will smell like a bike shop rather than a nest of tables.  4

ade replied to arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Maybe I should Mr Sheen one cleat and GT85 the other to see if there's an obvious difference?

Thanks though - useful info.

ade | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Candle wax or Mr Sheen sound like good suggestions. I'm a bit wary of putting lube on my cleats though - I don't want to go arse over tit when I'm walking around.

I'll report back when I've tried them.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Is the squeak between the cleat and pedal? ie the contact?

If so, here is a little tip I got from mechanic - a bit of mr.sheen (or I am sure other polish will work!) and away you go.

ptun74 | 10 years ago
0 likes

GT85. Bosh

Hector Ch | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of brand new Espresso 8s on my KTM, do the same annoying thing, drives me crazy. Oddly, my two month old iClic2s on the BMC are dead silent, and that's using the same cleats/shoes...

Have heard that putting oil can work, although it wears away quickly (especially in the wet). Have also heard candle wax works too. Am going to give that a try one of these days.

Have also heard a joke to use "nose grease".... Haven't tried that one!  3

KirinChris | 10 years ago
0 likes

It could be that they need to get dirty...

Seriously, you know the expression 'squeaky clean'.

If cleats are very new or very clean just walking through some dirt or sand can help.

Liam Cahill | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oil and more oil...

Latest Comments