Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

When tradition looks CRAP

I am known around these parts for my "love" of Mark Cavendish...  19

I have also made comments on the national champs jersey before, even though I know the stripes are traditional.

Something needs to be done here, because it looks CRAP

https://twitter.com/bradsohner/status/350634874333446144/photo/1/large

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

33 comments

Welsh boy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Oops, should have remembered Geraint, thanks

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well I suppose I'll have to let him off for the shit jersey then. It really does look awful not I've seen him racing in it

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure he has the flag on the one's he's racing in.

Yup GT for a welsh champ, but Nicole Cook for a Welsh and World champ at the same time  3

dave atkinson replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

I'm not sure he has the flag on the one's he's racing in

yeah he does, seen it in the coverage

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

they are his racing shorts, looks like

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just seen the flag on this picture, but I doubt they are his racing shorts.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/q77/1043944_54233...

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

And it is British as opposed to English, Scottish, Northern Irish, Manx, Channel Islands or Welsh.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

if you're going to be a flag pedant, at least make sure you're correct. 'Union Jack' has been the official name of the flag since 1908.

http://www.flaginstitute.org/wp/british-flags/the-union-jack-or-the-unio...

Welsh boy replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

But according to the official site of the British Monarchy,

"...a proclamation by Charles II that the Union Flag should be flown only by ships of the Royal Navy as a jack..."

Anyway, the jersey still looks dated but what a privilege it must be to be able to wear it, i wouldn't mind looking dated in it!

Welsh boy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why hasn't the jersey got the Manx flag or Welsh flag on it (not that I can remember a Welsh British Champion). And on a pedantic note:

Gkam84, it is a Union Flag, it is only an Union Jack when flown on a ship.
Cidermart, the word you are looking for is moot (adjective
meaning subject to debate, dispute, or uncertainty) not mute (adjective meaning refraining from speech or temporarily speechless).

dave atkinson replied to Welsh boy | 10 years ago
0 likes
Welsh boy wrote:

not that I can remember a Welsh British Champion

Geraint Thomas?

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think that photo/s were of Tom advertising his nationality in the TDF rather than a team or nationals thing. Like I said good photos though and yes I have nicked them for screensavers so thank you  4

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I always thought he had, but if it was a national team why does it have Peugeot and BP on it? I thought nationals were unsponsored?

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Either way a fecking cool jersey worn by a legend but not what we are discussing. British champ in hoops you know it make sense!!!

Close post  3

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Simpson never won a British title. The jersey is going back to when the TdF was a nations race rather than trade teams??

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bike or Bus as I don't remember it on the jersey unless it was a Sky thing? Other than the shirt sleave bit which, granted, looks cool but that is to show a previous winner.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stannard had a union flag though  3

Simon_MacMichael replied to Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:

Stannard had a union flag though  3

A small one on the sleeve cuff, which he'll keep (like GT and BW) now he's no longer champ... the main design was the hoops though  3

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry fella I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. The whole point of the jersey is to display your national colours and for Britain it is the Hoops. I’m not bothered about BC directives however I do believe in Heritage and ours is in those Hoops! I have never understood this idea of ‘Tweaking historical things to make them look better’ because it does not work. For instance shall we paint the Forth Rail Bridge a greyish blue because after all that is the colour of lead? Err no that would be stupid! Leave things as they are and don’t worry about the face in the jersey as that will change; after all I don’t remember you being this vociferous when Stannard got the Hoops.  39

farrell replied to cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes
cidermart wrote:

Sorry fella I’m going to have to disagree with you on this one. The whole point of the jersey is to display your national colours and for Britain it is the Hoops. I’m not bothered about BC directives however I do believe in Heritage and ours is in those Hoops! I have never understood this idea of ‘Tweaking historical things to make them look better’ because it does not work. For instance shall we paint the Forth Rail Bridge a greyish blue because after all that is the colour of lead? Err no that would be stupid! Leave things as they are and don’t worry about the face in the jersey as that will change; after all I don’t remember you being this vociferous when Stannard got the Hoops.  39

Are you sure about that?

http://www.thebicyclestory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Tom-Simpson-30...

http://spinwell.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/afp-13-07-67-e1286877670818....

cidermart replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
cidermart wrote:

Are you sure about that?

http://www.thebicyclestory.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Tom-Simpson-30...

http://spinwell.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/afp-13-07-67-e1286877670818....

He certainly won the Worlds but did he win the British roads jersey? In which case a moot (edited check out the English lesson further down  3 ) point.

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think a Union Flag design similar to the Norwegian jersey would look good, no denying what country the wearer is from then

mattsccm | 10 years ago
0 likes

That was bad in those days.
why NL? Its also the UK colours? Flag design has nothing to do with it.
I have yet to see a decent UK jersey although the super bright track one is OK. Just be thankful it wasn't that abortion they wore at the Olympics. The cretin who designed it and those who approve it should hang their heads in shame.

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I know its team kit so a bit different but some inspiration (and warnings) to be had here http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/536646/great-britain-s-team-k...

toned down version of this would be okay
//default.secure.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141/000009873/1371/198998.jpg)

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Even if they just took the stripes and turned them into a cross. So one set from top left to bottom right and then same going bottom left to top right

TheHatter | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd say leave well alone,do you remember when BC had those acid green colours to 'stand out'.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, Dowsett didn't have one. But House and the sky lads had them (Sky beside their names)

Yes its the tradition to have those bands, but I really think its time British Cycling got someone to design something new. It has never looked right

djb123 | 10 years ago
0 likes

As I see it, the issue is that if I were to see the red, white and blue bands anywhere else I would think of The Netherlands. Whilst it is probably at the bottom of the list of BCs priorities, I do wish that they would change it to something else. Maybe try a Blue Peter contest where kids send in their designs, do they still do those?

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The BC guidelines say its white with Red, white, Blue bands, as far as I'm aware it's never been anything else, at least not recently

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah it could be any one of those, at least previous incarnations of the champs jersey had a union jack or something to help people out.

Pages

Latest Comments