Home

Anybody else do the Dartmoor Classic on Sunday?

Bit windy, cold and wet but fantastic organisation and atmosphere all the way round. Would recommend it to anyone.

Got a bronze on the 68 mile route so plenty to aim for next year.

7 comments

shishman [99 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

No one??

Oh well you missed cow bells on top of one the climbs.

SideBurn [890 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

After last year I was hoping for a nice bit of sun, a bit like it was the following day would have been perfect.
A howling gale and rain almost all day, I know it is character building but I feel my character has been built over the last 12 months. I seem to have done a fair number of events in poor weather.
I did the hundred miler and despite what I have just said I enjoyed this event more than I have enjoyed an event for a while. The last 25 miles, at speed, doing bit and bit with others who seemed to know what they were doing was a good bit of nostalgia for me. Organisation 10/10 Route 10/10 Location 10/10 Helpers 10/10
I cannot fault it! Next year sun, no wind and a gold medal for me!

0 likes

Yes what a brilliant day. There were people on the route in that weather cheering us on and made you feel really special. That second half was so fast - I even beat my missus and sister back to the finish  16

As you say 10/10 for everything.

Bagpuss [99 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I bailed on the 100 miler at Princetown, utterly fed up with that wind, the rain and the wind. And the wind. Silver on the short route instead of the silver I was aiming for on the long one.

Having said that, did I mention the wind? I can only agree with the organisation particularly the marshals who were super, especially the chap that offered me a foil blanket at the feed station, I must have looked as bad as I felt. Not sure how really fed up looks but that's where I was. And I'm pretty sure that's the first sportive I've done where there were gels etc left when I got to the feed station.

It was pretty amazing though to see fast riders coping with it like it was a normal day.

And the cow bells. Nuts. Spectators were dafter than the riders  4

0 likes

Well done on the silver Bagpuss. Yeah the spectators were very special and helped everyone along the way. I can even forgive the one that shouted get up that hill for Ireland when I was wearing my Devon flag jersey!!

apjs87 [7 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Awesome day and an excellent organised event. shame about the weather but hey ho

First time I've done it and I'm glad I entered

100 miles next time  1

localsurfer [202 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Yup, great day. Silver for me on the 100k. Wind was annoying, but that's why everyone on Dartmoor has mad hair...