Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Dartmoor Classic

Anybody else do the Dartmoor Classic on Sunday?

Bit windy, cold and wet but fantastic organisation and atmosphere all the way round. Would recommend it to anyone.

Got a bronze on the 68 mile route so plenty to aim for next year.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

localsurfer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yup, great day. Silver for me on the 100k. Wind was annoying, but that's why everyone on Dartmoor has mad hair...

shishman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well done on the silver Bagpuss. Yeah the spectators were very special and helped everyone along the way. I can even forgive the one that shouted get up that hill for Ireland when I was wearing my Devon flag jersey!!

apjs87 replied to shishman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Awesome day and an excellent organised event. shame about the weather but hey ho

First time I've done it and I'm glad I entered

100 miles next time  1

Bagpuss | 10 years ago
0 likes

I bailed on the 100 miler at Princetown, utterly fed up with that wind, the rain and the wind. And the wind. Silver on the short route instead of the silver I was aiming for on the long one.

Having said that, did I mention the wind? I can only agree with the organisation particularly the marshals who were super, especially the chap that offered me a foil blanket at the feed station, I must have looked as bad as I felt. Not sure how really fed up looks but that's where I was. And I'm pretty sure that's the first sportive I've done where there were gels etc left when I got to the feed station.

It was pretty amazing though to see fast riders coping with it like it was a normal day.

And the cow bells. Nuts. Spectators were dafter than the riders  4

shishman | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes what a brilliant day. There were people on the route in that weather cheering us on and made you feel really special. That second half was so fast - I even beat my missus and sister back to the finish  16

As you say 10/10 for everything.

SideBurn | 10 years ago
0 likes

After last year I was hoping for a nice bit of sun, a bit like it was the following day would have been perfect.
A howling gale and rain almost all day, I know it is character building but I feel my character has been built over the last 12 months. I seem to have done a fair number of events in poor weather.
I did the hundred miler and despite what I have just said I enjoyed this event more than I have enjoyed an event for a while. The last 25 miles, at speed, doing bit and bit with others who seemed to know what they were doing was a good bit of nostalgia for me. Organisation 10/10 Route 10/10 Location 10/10 Helpers 10/10
I cannot fault it! Next year sun, no wind and a gold medal for me!

shishman | 10 years ago
0 likes

No one??

Oh well you missed cow bells on top of one the climbs.

Latest Comments