Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Choice @ £2,500

I'm a new member here looking for some proper rider opinions for new bike choices. I'd appreciate feedback from a wide variety of riders on bikes within my budget because no amount of bike site reviews and manufacturer promo material can match real peoples experience.

I ride a lot with groups at weekends (avg 40-60 miles) and a decent number of sportivs during the summer (usually 60-100 miles) over anything from flat to good climbing terrain. I also throw in the odd endurance event like the Mcr-to-London 250 in 24 a couple of weeks ago [which is a great ride if anyone fancies a challenge].

So - i'm looking for a new bike within £2,500 budget.
General spec is pretty obvious - Full Carbon Frame/Forks, Ultegra Groupset. I've looked at the obvious like Trek 4.7, Specialized Tarmac Comp and a number of similar along with a few smaller names like Planet-X N2A and Starley (very local to me).

Any advice, recommendations, horror stories would be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance & sorry for the long post!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

bendip | 10 years ago
0 likes

The Canyon Ultimate al 9.0 di2 is discounted to £1727 at the moment, add £50 for the shipping and bike box, it leaves plenty in your budget for a bike fit and upgrades

Ajay | 10 years ago
0 likes

I treated myself to the Giant Defy Advanced 1 a year ago and it is the most comfortable and quickest bike I've ever owned (I'm 59 and have had a lot of bikes). Made for sportive and long hilly rides, not racing. Comes in just under £2500. I had it fitted with Sram Force components instead of Ultegra but that's just my preference.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.advanced...

veseunr | 10 years ago
0 likes

+ another 1 for Canyon. Superb and sale due any day. I've got a CF SLX 9.0 .... love it.

lc1981 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Someone mentioned the CAAD10, but the Cannondale SuperSix has got to be on the list of bikes to consider at this price point. I have one (paid less than £2000 for it with Ultegra as it was last year's model) and it's great.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

Canyon offer a 30-day money-back guarantee if you don't like it, so long as you've only been for a spin round the block and it's unmarked etc. I've got it confirmed in an email but can't find it.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mine was well under 2.5k

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Get down to Vo2!!!

mike.b | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks to all of those Canyon owners who have recommended the bikes. The real shame is that (having been in touch with them directly) there is no way of having a test ride in the UK and one of the spec options I was after cannot be accommodated. As much as I am sure the bikes are great the lack "ride before I buy" is a bit of killer!

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

I forgot to mention Orbea!

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/

Seriously lovely looking bikes made in Spain. If I had proper money to splash on a new they'd be on my (very short) shortlist.

Hector Ch replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

I forgot to mention Orbea!

http://www.orbea.com/gb-en/bicycles/

Seriously lovely looking bikes made in Spain. If I had proper money to splash on a new they'd be on my (very short) shortlist.

Thought Orbea were manufacturing in China? http://www.bicyclingnewsasia.com/en/features/38-general/1189-china-orbea...

Hector Ch | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at KTM Bicycles?

Value for money they're hard to beat. I have a KTM Strada 5000 with full Ultegra and I'm over the moon, when they say full ultegra they mean it! Crankset, derailleurs, brakes, cassette..

http://ktm-bikes.at/road/road/index.php?lang=EN

They are available in the UK, for example: http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/brands/KTM-2013-bikes/Road-Bikes

Personally, I would not buy a bicycle online, not only because I've had quality issues in the past with big purchases (guitars), but also because if we as consumers don't support our LBS, they won't be around when we need them (repairs etc).

mike.b | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for all the Canyon owners out there who have praised the range. Really worth some serious investigation. My only problem is that I want to get out for a test ride and as its all shipped from Germany that doesn't seem like a possibility unless any of you know different??

Thanks for all the other recommendations..

The Trek Madone 4.x and Spec Roubaix are definitely on the test ride list as are the Pinarello FP2 & ROKH. Need to find a local stockist for Dale, Focus & Giant and see if I can get out on some of them too.

Thanks Simon for the pointer to the rider reviews on the site too!

Jon Burrage | 10 years ago
0 likes

Canyon seems to be the weapon of choice.

It would be certainly worth testing bikes before you buy, for £2000+ you should get on a bike and love the way it feels, rides, handles etc. This is something you cant readily do with online only. Take a day, go round your local bike shops and test as many as possible. Also, spend your money on a quality frame as opposed to groupset - the groupset can be changed over time, you don't want to have to change the frame.

Metjas | 10 years ago
0 likes

another vote for Canyon here - super happy with my CF SLX which I've had for two years and which had components you would normally only find on the most expensive (£5000+) of bikes. The latest incarnation of this model is considered to be a step up still - see latest Procycling magazine for a review. Personally I'd wait for either the current Ultegra 6700 models to get seriously reduced or hang fire for the new 11 speed ultegra version which should be offered later this year. Canyon also have an Outlet on their website where you can buy previous years models at reduced prices.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Boring (and predictable) but it's very difficult to look beyond a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 7.0
Ok, by the time you've paid for shipping etc. you'd probably need to find another £200 but, in a few months time, chances are you would end up spending more than that on a wheel upgrade for pretty much any other bike you chose.
I don't own one, but would had it not been for an awesome end of year deal on the bike that I do own.
Rose (another German direct sale brand) is worth a look also; they offer similar value but a greater degree of customization. That said, I've not heard people rave about Rose in the way I have Canyon.
Understandably, you might find the idea of direct sales a little off putting and, if that is the case, I would seriously consider a Cube Litening Super HPC Pro; Ultegra / 860 gram frameset and all round awesome reviews....you'd have £105 change / a shop to visit if any issues arose and you wouldn't have to wait 'til the end of August for delivery  4
Seems the future is German  13

Jamesgraemer | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can definitely recommend the Giant TCR advanced. Fantastic handling and power transfer, a slightly more racey riding position than the Defy but still very comfortable on long rides IME. Climbs well, descends solidly and like a motorbike on the flat!

MinardiM189 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm a very happy Canyon owner too.

Canyon normally have a sale during the TdF when you can get an even better bargain.  1

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Cervelo S2?

Vo2 Pro:carbon. Any colour you like.

PHIAN bikes can print literally any graphics you like as well; even photos.

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

There is supposed to be a recession but every week someone's asking on here about buying a £2,000 bike. Nice to know it's not all bad news.

IME there's no substitute for visiting some shops and trying a few bikes. Suggestions:

Cannondale CAAD10
Focus Izalco
Giant Defy

but there are lots more. The road.cc bike reviews are at http://road.cc/review-archive?tid=35 and they do seem to be 'real world' reviews, not recycled press releases.

My choice: Giant Defy Advanced/Composite. If you go for the cheaper Composite model you would have money spare to spend some on some nice wheels, which is invariably where the most noticeable upgrade can be made.

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

I originally rode a roubaix elite but after I got taken out by a car that didn't believe in giving way to bikes on a roundabout my frame got written off and replaced with the comp frame. In effect I have a shim 105 equipped roubaix comp frame. I am very happy with the 105 set up and the frame is very comfortable over distance (took me from london to paris in 2 days with no discomfort). It isn't the fastest geometry out there but it is a pleasure to spend hours in the saddle.

Ashleyhoaken | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hi. Mike.b

Been in the same boat before For around the 2.5k at road bikes .
It rally relies on what you feel like for your needs. Some people go for stiffness and comfort over aero and lightness. Try a couple and feel what suites you and not other peoples chooses.

Some I would chose

BMC roadracer SL01
Eddy Merck emx-1
Merida ride carbon 95
Pinarello fp2
Pinarello Rokh
specialized roubaix
Storck Scenero
Trek mandone 4.5 and 4.7
Willier izoard

Feedback on all bike can be asked for.

Currently due the tour of French, the pro bike equipment has I have seen has gone up. Wait until slightly later in the tour sires when prices could come down also wait until the shop is at the end of the finance month before buying

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you looked at canyon?
Their cf range of bikes are good (great) vfm and I'll be honest I love my cf8 light stiff and still amazingly comfortable .

mike.b replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

Their cf range of bikes are good (great) vfm and I'll be honest I love my cf8 light stiff and still amazingly comfortable .

2 votes for Canyon WOW - not looked at them but I will spend some time browsing. Did you get direct from Canyon in the UK? I guess they will tweak bits if necessary?

chiv30 replied to mike.b | 10 years ago
0 likes
mike.b wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

2 votes for Canyon WOW - not looked at them but I will spend some time browsing. Did you get direct from Canyon in the UK? I guess they will tweak bits if necessary?

I bought directly from canyon , Germany , their customer service is fantastic and if I recall you can mail them with your order number to tweak things like longer stem/ different ratio cassette .

Don't dismiss their AL range either as a mate has one and swears it's as good as any carbon bike he has ridden again stiff and comfortable.

mike.b replied to chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Chiv.

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Canyon canyon canyon canyon canyon

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

A very happy specialized roubaix rider here. Very comfortable for longer rides on not so great surfaces. OK. it is not the fastest on a sprint but if you are looking at longer rides as your focus, take a look.

mike.b replied to arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes
arfa wrote:

A very happy specialized roubaix rider here. Very comfortable for longer rides on not so great surfaces. OK. it is not the fastest on a sprint but if you are looking at longer rides as your focus, take a look.

Which Roubaix do you ride? The new Comp does have all the specs!

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

A little over budget at £2,699.99 is the Boardman AiR 9.0s - Di2, Aerodynamic and British designed, what more could you want?!

mike.b replied to Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

jaltham - Nice idea...and if I drop the Di2 i'm in budget.

thanks

Latest Comments