Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Crash related advice

So, last Sunday on the way back from a great club run a friendly motorist decided that give way signs didn't apply when it was a cyclist coming your way and pulled out on me, colliding with the back of my bike.

I was in the main road and they were turning left so 100% their fault.

At the time I was pretty shaken up but being a gent I didn't rant or rave and simply stopped and asked for their details. I couldn't see anything wrong with the bike (and I didn't come off) but know from experience that you can't always tell straight away. She was very apologetic at the time.

Anyway, later that day and a visit to my LBS confirmed that the frame was fine but the rear wheel was buckled. Not badly, but since the wheel is less than a month old obviously a result of the clash. Still, only £15 to fix.

I've tried calling the driver a few times, as I want them to pay for this. Today I get a text saying they have no money and won't be able to pay for a month.

Now, it is only £15 but I really want to make them pay for it out of principle. Is this silly? Also, I can't help but feeling she's trying to brush me off so is it worth reporting the incident to the police.

I know it's not a serious incident, but I just don't want drivers to get away with this.

Any advice greatly received.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

b3nharris | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well, I'm not going to cry over £15 but I am going to keep harassing her for it text. I'm off to France now for 10 days to climb Ventoux, and I want to enjoy it. May send a slightly bitchier text when I return.

I think this incident has taught me that if I'm in any sort of collision with a motorist in future I'm going to call the police sooner rather than later. It was luck rather than judgement that it wasn't worse (fairly sure I ended up on the wrong side of the road trying to avoid her), and I'm fed up with drivers thinking it's ok to not see cyclists. If involving the police achieves nothing other than my money back and a waste of their time that's a start.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Let it go, don't get yourself wound up about £15.

farrell replied to spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes
SammyG wrote:

Bollocks to that, it seems that is was luck rather than judgement that the incident wasn't worse.

Head round to their house and put a bin through their windscreen and tell them you are skint and can't pay for another year and see how they react then.

spongebob replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
SammyG wrote:

Bollocks to that, it seems that is was luck rather than judgement that the incident wasn't worse.

Head round to their house and put a bin through their windscreen and tell them you are skint and can't pay for another year and see how they react then.

Bad day?

sm | 10 years ago
0 likes

For the sake of £15 let it go and move on with your life. Next time call the police - poor (excuse the pun) drivers needs all the ticking off that's due to them.

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

for future reference and taking into consideration being slightly in shock after such an accident what do you lot recommend doing immediately?

note ( take pictures) of licence plate and scene of accident

take persons name and insurance details.... what details? insurance company name?

ask witness for personnel details?

contact local police or dial 999 to report accident?

upon returning home write a short recap on events?

Have I missed anything?

in reply to the topic, be polite, and persist in asking for your money, if they insist on being awkward contact their insurance.... report to the police immediately though.

lc1981 replied to billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes
billyman wrote:

in reply to the topic, be polite, and persist in asking for your money, if they insist on being awkward contact their insurance.... report to the police immediately though.

The police won't be interested if no one's been injured.

tired old fart | 10 years ago
0 likes

If she is that skint she ought to be riding a bike not driving a car. AS cars are expensive to run. Tell her you want to be reimbursed for your time in sorting out you bike (waiting around for the LBS to do the job etc.) also the phone calls if she kicks up a stink about that get a lawyer involved but do that without telling her you are going to. Then next time she will look where she is fucking going!

jova54 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Did you get her insurance details?
If so contact the insurer and inform them that she has caused an accident which resulted in damage to your bike and that you intend to claim for the repair and reasonable costs for inconvenience. It will cost her even more in the long run as they will up her premium and it will probably affect her NCB even if she thinks it is protected.

Owen Rogers | 10 years ago
0 likes

Accidents should be reported as soon as possible but within 24 hours. Unusual law as there is no requirement to report a non injury accident. Whatever, the police won't get your money back.
Tell her the cost of your solicitor on top of the £15 will get messy.
Are you a BC member? Their insurance may help recovering the money.
Or you could wait til the end of the month?

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Should have reported it to the police straight away, regardless. I'm not sure of any time limit of reporting an accident, someone will inform you otherwise so do so? As for I can't afford it bol***ks if they can afford petrol to run in to you they can afford to stump up £15. Good luck with it and glad that you are ok.

Latest Comments