Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Prolive Gavia 2011 for non racer? ? If not what 30-35 deep wheelset?

Hello,

I am building a new bike around a 1982 Golnago Super frame. The plan is to have modern equipment around a gorgeous classical frame.

I am interested in putting some medium profile wheels ... probably 30-35.

There is a nice offer for Pro Lite Gavia 2011 for 600 Euros ...

The thing is that I do not do any racing and they are 50 deep rims.

I am doing club rides by the sea where it has some winds and 200-300 audaxes.

Is it ok for a rider 1.92 with 95 kilos with the use I am doing .. or is it just too much ?

Any suggestions for 30-35s wheelset?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

kupepe | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well .... I was looking for a 30-35 rim for aesthetic reasons ...

I want a rim that is of that deapth and totally black  1

yeah ... i am thinking as a gal  10

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Simon E, you've taken my comments out out context (I did say handbuilts were appropriate for the OPs classic bike)

I gather you've not been satisfied with deep carbon rims in the past, I understand your viewpoint and would probably stick to clinchers myself if, for example, my deep section wheels were particularly uncomfortable, or prone to excessive wear etc

However, mine simply make my bike more efficient, with pretty much no trade off, so given that I've already made the investment, it seems silly not to use then whenever I can. It's nothing to do with trying to set a PB every ride..

Remember not all carbon is equal, this applies to wheels as it applies to frames

Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes

The only benefit of a deeper section rim is when racing.

As the others suggest, I'd go for a quality handbuilt wheelset.

700c replied to Simon E | 10 years ago
0 likes
Simon E wrote:

The only benefit of a deeper section rim is when racing.

Disagree with the first statement - if you believe they're beneficial for racing, then why wouldn't this apply to other situations?

I don't see the point in deliberately trying to limit yourself, because of a belief that certain gear can only be used when competing..

I do, however, agree that in this case, classic looking hand built wheels would be most appropriate from an aesthetic point of view.

Simon E replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

if you believe they're beneficial for racing, then why wouldn't this apply to other situations?

I don't see the point in deliberately trying to limit yourself, because of a belief that certain gear can only be used when competing..

Surely riding a 1982 steel frame could be considered as 'limiting' yourself.

It's not that deep section wheels can only be used for competing but that the small benefit of a slightly more aerodynamic rim seems unnecessary if you're not in a competing.

If there is no race why worry about shaving a handful of seconds off your A to B time? Some nice alloy rims will be a better bang-for-buck and, some would say, more in keeping with a classic frame.

I've ridden and raced on 50mm carbon rims and IMVHO they are overrated - the aero gain, the handling and feedback, braking and VFM. I'm not saying no-one should buy them, I just don't think they are all they are cracked up to be. Don't believe the hype.

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

h plus son tb14 or ambrosio nemesis clincher for
the classic "tub" look  1

racingcondor | 10 years ago
0 likes

Personally I'd go for something like an Ambrosio Excellence rim and Novatech hubs (or shimano for durability). I.e. a more traditional look.

You could go for a more modern rim from velocity/h+son or somethimg though.

matthewn5 | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you're not racing, you probably don't need aero wheels.

Also, consider that you should match a classic frame with classic modern components. Thing polished alloy not carbon or black anodised. It will look great!

Latest Comments