Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

High life components

Last weekend I went for a ride with some mates and as the chat was primarily about bikes we got onto the topic of how reliable bike components are these days which got us thinking about high life components that still work flawlessly.

As combined brake levers/gear shifters are continually used on every ride making 100's of gear shifts, this is the component we concentrated on. They must still work without skipping a beat to qualify and must be index shifting (none of this old skool style:-):

My particularly poor effort are: Shimano Ultegra at 4,700miles

My mates Shimano 105's are at 7,500 miles

So, for a bit of fun, who has the 'London taxi' equivalent brake level/gear shifters out there to take the title?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

MattT53 | 10 years ago
0 likes

My dads got about 14,000 miles out of some Tiagra brifters and they're still fine. I can categorically also say he won't have done any maintenance of any type on them!

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

Awesome topic. Highly suggest an "and how well did you take care of them?" Section.

My SRAMs new so we'll see.
My dads 22yr old cannondale still rocks all original Suntour downtube componentry and cassettes. Just put new bearings in. Most maint. he's ever done on it.

ColT | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've got 9 speed Campag Athena shifters which have just completed their 11th winter, coupled with a Veloce rear mech. Aside from replacing the jockey wheels, I've had no reason to touch anything in terms or repair/maintenance and they've never missed a beat.

veseunr | 10 years ago
0 likes

12000 miles on an Ultegra 6600 group set ... new cassettes and chains but rest perfect!

Latest Comments