Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Route Suggestions in the NE

Next month I am visiting Derwent Reservoir in County Durham as my son is sailing in a competition. I will travel with road bike and escape for a Sunday run. I don't know my way around, any suggestions out there for a good route? Probably have the time, energy, inclination for around 100km. I don't mind a few climbs.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes

Please you enjoyed it  4

Sniffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestions. Had a great ride on Sunday and the weather was very kind. I understand when you say it could be a bit bleak in poor weather.

Stanhope to Edmundbyers was a great route, although steep coming out of Stanhope. I enjoyed the route across the moor out of Blanchland too.

I'll definitely bring the bike if I am down again.

Sniffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yes, frequently go to sailing events with my bike. My son wants wind and I don't!

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hope you have a good ride. I guess you and your son will have conflicting wishes in terms of the wind forecast

Sniffer | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. Looks interesting especially if I can get a nice summers day. It will be interesting to compare the climbs etc with my normal routes in Scotland.

joemmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

here's a little something to give you some ideas. As other have said there is some great riding round there and no shortage of climbs.

http://goo.gl/maps/syXcB

Have a browse round in google streetview and see if it takes your fancy. Be warned - this is big open country, on a fine day it's spectacular but it can also be really bleak on a bad day so be *fully* spared and prepared. You could do that route in either direction so I would see which way the wind is blowing, if its not a factor then maybe go clockwise.
Enjoy

Marauder | 10 years ago
0 likes

I do Stanhope - Blanchland - Edmundbuyers quite often after having a little break in Stanhope and going over Crawleyside Bank. Some great routes in/out of Stanhope and the surrounding areas.

Have a look on Strava and you can find loads  4
Have fun.

pirnie | 10 years ago
0 likes

I ride for Durham Uni Cycling Club and we go up there fairly often so I know that area pretty well.

You can't really go wrong from Derwent Reservoir to be honest, especially if you don't mind climbing! (It is very hillly round there!)

You could either go north over towards the Tyne (Corbridge etc), then loop back over to Weardale (via Allendale Town to Stanhope) and back over the tops.

Or you could head south to Stanhope, and then over and do a loop into Teesdale (Middleton in Teesdale) and back (this could include Chapel Fell if you're feeling adventurous).

The road south from Edmundbuyers to Stanhope is a great ride in either direction, over the tops. Shallower gradients on the north side and steeper on the south.

Hope that helps and isn't too confusing. I could always throw a rough route onto Garmin Connect for you if you wanted?

Latest Comments