Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Purist Tour de France 2013

Just tried to sit down and pick a Purist team for the TdF and it's hard!

Lots of high value riders, very few very cheap riders and not many bargains to be had, this is going to be a tough race to get right from a fantasy point of view.

My thinking at the minute is Froome plus 1 high value rider (Sagan/Cavendish or maybe Contador/Voeckler) then some mid and low priced riders but there's not much quality lower down, might have to rethink and go for lots of mid-range guys...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

101 comments

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was in a hurry posting that thread for an event, so I bumped it. The event is finished and I didn't manage to get there.

I am still looking for a lift though, so I edited the thread  19 .

>>>>Corner>>>> bye  3

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

6 are the same as 6 of mine Frankiejay

stereojet | 10 years ago
0 likes

ARGH! Porte and Pinot or Froome and Dennis?  20

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well after having my team set in stone i've had a rush of blood and taken out Sagan almost redoing the whole team.

I now want to go somewhere where there is no internet until the race starts, i dont think the stress could get any worse.  20

thefatcyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hello all..... The Fat One has returned for the TDF, how the devil are you all, hope you are all well, especially GKam...(i'm sorry I didn't know, if there is anything I can do for you down here in Fife, just let me know.)

Anyhoo, one purist team for the race. Picked in 3 short bursts and changed 3 times, but at least it has cyclists in it, some young, some fast, some can go up hills, and some I have never even heard of.

The new team name..
Where did all these cyclists come from?

listed below.

Mark Cavendish (OPQ)
Peter Sagan (CAN)
Thomas Danielson (GRM)
Rohan Dennis (GRM)
Rein Taaramae (COF)
Christophe Le Mevel (COF)
José Ivan Gutierrez Palacios (MOV)
Matteo Bono (LAM)
Murilo Antonio Fischer (FDJ)

I did have another team with Scleck, Tommy V, Hoogerland in it, but changed it. I think it might have been better,
but hey. Not enough French, breakaway guys. Bottom 1/3 of league.  4

Cheers chaps.

chrisdstripes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Happy to reveal my existing team as a) I might still change it and b) its not like its going to give anyone any ideas they hadn't already thought of - probably only one or two unpopular picks. Panicked about having no GC guys and changed it at the last minute - trying to defend top ten in overall purist...

Sagan
Froome
Talansky
Kittel
Garcia
Hoogerland
Le Mevel
El Fares
Palacios

Feel free to critique!

0 likes

Yeah, Kittel is a worry, as he also has Degenkolb to share stages with, and we don't know if he has what it takes to get to Paris. 17 credits tho' - might just about be worth it...

CarbonBreaker | 10 years ago
0 likes

OK, I'm new to the Purist Leagues, so don't laugh at the choices, (I just don't have time to transfer each day at the moment).

Sagan
Cav
Dan Martin
Rogers
Schleck
Noval
Le Mevel
Mederel
Fischer

Sagan and Cav for the first couple of weeks, plus some beakaways from the French, Rogers and Martin for the TTT (Garmin), and Rogers ITT. Taking a punt on Schleck as I can see the peleton letting him go for a stage win to bring him out of the doldrums, and he is showing a little better form.

If I'm going to modify this, it'll only be to bring in Contador, and or Talansky, at the expense of Cav, and anther rider. I can see Bertie beating Froome.

Thoughts?

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Having looked at the profile I break it down as:

Flat - 6 stages
Medium mountains - 6 stages
High mountains - 6 stages (of which 4 are Summit Finishes)
Team TT - 1 stage
Individual TT - 2 stages

So, more than usually, it's pretty finely balanced between the sprinters, hard-men and climbers which makes this year's purist league really exciting because any number of combinations could come out on top.

My usual tactic is to load up on GC guys because of the jersey bonuses and fact that they're reliable top 10 guys in the mountains but actually, there are only 4 summits this year making that tactic a bit rubbish. Instead I reckon I'll follow the course and pick a balanced team of sprinters and climbers.

The big question is, Sagan or not? I can have two of Sagan, Cavendish and Froome but I don't know what the best combo will be, my gut says that on stage wins alone Froome/Cav is the best bet but Sagan will be up there on the flat and winning in the hills...

thereallyfatcyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

Here is my team, called
If I have To Watch It I May As Well Have A Team.

pick basis,"I'll just divide up the points as evenly as possible from near the middle of the list with names I have heard of."

Samuel Dumoulin
Rein Taaramae
Thomas De Gendt
Andrey Amador
Jon Izaguirre Insausti
Kanstantin Siutsou
Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas
Rohan Dennis
Andy Schleck

I'm The Fat Cylist's wife BTW. First time doing this.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

I don't want to give tips really but you always have the option of dropping both Martin and Rogers and picking up Contador/Voeckler/Rolland/Pinot plus one cheaper guy.

Gadret and Coppel are decent shouts at under 9 credits and riders like Bonnet (5.2) and Hoogerland (6.2) can pick up a few points. My worry with Rogers/Martin is that both will top 10 in the GC but not actually score many fantasy points on their way there finishing 15-20th each day and picking up minor points but being consistently average.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yeah, attacking unpredictable riders that can win stages often score more fantasy points than riders on their way to a steady top 10 place.

That's why I'm not picking TJVG in my teams this race (plus he's bloody expensive). He's strong and steady but not likely to attack hard and win a stage. He's most likely to top 10 overall through consistently being top 10 on the big stages and doing well in the TT.

Ghedebrav | 10 years ago
0 likes

Happy to declare my peculiarly-organised purist:

Cav
Quintana
Costa
Hoogerland
Dennis
Navardauskas
Marino
Bonnet
Gadret

EDIT: I have already changed this.

rcorbin | 10 years ago
0 likes

Probably change before tomorrow

Van Den Broeck (my top 3 tip)
Quintana (youth winner)
Cavendish (points winner)
Kittel (few sprint points)
Zubeldia (team leader?, experienced)
Schleck (bound to get a stage win)
Cunego (team leader, few top 10's?)
Mederel (cheap French guy)
El Flares (same as mederel)

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

My team for tomorrow and the next 20 odd days:

Christopher Froome
Moreno Moser
Richie Porte
Maxime Mederel
Alexis Vuillermoz
Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas
Alexander Kristoff
Murilo Antonio Fischer
Matteo Bono

livestrongnick | 10 years ago
0 likes

A French affair for me

Rolland
Pinot
Bouhanni
Peraud
Gadret
Coppel
El Fares
Moinard
J Pineau

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Said in an earlier post that my purist team is going to be picked with my heart and not my head...Picked with breakaways in mind and to keep me interested on the boring stages when 'Carlton' is doing my head in....

T.VOECKLAR
RUI COSTA
R.NAVARDAUSKAS
L.WESTRA
J.COPPEL
D.NAVARRO
J.HOOGERLAND
L-P.NORDHAUG
E.GASPAROTTO

CadenceKings | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its a long race so making this list was really hard. Not sure if there is enough balance but here it is...Schleck is my wild card.

Mark Cavendish (OPQ)
Ryder Hesjedal (GRM)
Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (MOV)
Julien El Fares (SAU)
Daniel Martin (GRM)
Manuel Quinziato (BMC)
Daniel Navarro Garcia (COF)
Andy Schleck (RSN)
José Ivan Gutierrez Palacios (MOV)

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

Here's mine - bit of a chancer's squad really

Sagan
Porte
Quintana
Kittel
Dennis
Hoogerland
Gadret
Le Mevel
Fischer

Alan Tullett | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gone for the big guns and 5 fillers. 3 GC and 1 Green.

Sagan
Froome
Porte
Quintana
Le Mevel
Bono
Gutierrez Palacios
Fischer
Mederel

TERatcliffe26 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure on my team now ive seen others  39

Froome
Sagan
Quintana
Navarro
Gadret
Hivert
Hoogerland
Gutierrez
Fischer

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Plumped for Quintana in the end

Froome (top GC, three stage wins)
Cavendish (green plus four stage wins)
Quintana (possible white jersey/top ten GC, maybe KoM)
Kittel (consistent on the flat)
Coppel (dark horse for top ten GC, at least one long break)
Gadret (same)
Bonnet (sprint placings)
Palacios (Team TT)
Willems (Greipel bonus points)

In the end, Cav's stage wins outweigh Sagan's points, there's loads of good sprinters in this race and I don't see him getting top 5 on the flat too often.

arsene | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sagan
Quintana
Hesjedal
Navarro
Vichot
Cimolai
Schleck
Gadret
Le Mevel

I always prefer a balanced team. Not having Froome is a risk though.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Crap, Coppel lost 12 minutes yesterday, that's his GC hopes done. Wonder if he's finally given up on his aspirations and will chase a stage win. Fingers crossed he goes for the polka dot jersey  4

Other than that so far it hasn't gone entirely to plan. Cav dropped points on stage 1 and Bonnet hasn't really featured as I hoped. At least Kittel worked out well and I'm glad I didn't pick De Gendt in the end, shocked he dropped 17 minutes yesterday.

STEVESPRO 79 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Well I picked my Purist team with my heart and not my head...Basically if I don't like the rider as a personality then I did not consider them....After two stages, I have zero points....

Sad thing is, I am still looking at my team and thinking that it looks pretty good....

T.VOECKLAR
RUI COSTA
J.COPPEL
R.NAVARDAUSKAS
L.WESTRE
D.NAVARRO
J.HOOGERLAND
L-P.NORDHAUG
E.GASPAROTTO

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

It's not so bad, you got your first points with Westra in the break today  4

0 likes

Kittel and Sagan so far have done OK but not much else - ideal scenario for me is Garmin win the TTT and Talansky takes top 3 in GC and White jersey, and keeps it for a week or more. Glad Dennis dropped time, as others seem to have him, and he could've done likewise.

zedand3 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Can anyone tell me how I've accrued points for Nacer Bouhanni (8 so far) he's finished well down the field both days.  39

paulfrank | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sky and Froome better start pulling their collective fingers out or my team will be going down big style, some nice early points from my DS but the big boys are very disappointing so far.

drheaton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sky will be fine, Froome and Porte are strong TTers as are EBH, Kiriyenka and Kennaugh.

EBH in yellow tomorrow.

Pages

Latest Comments