Home

Just tried to sit down and pick a Purist team for the TdF and it's hard!

Lots of high value riders, very few very cheap riders and not many bargains to be had, this is going to be a tough race to get right from a fantasy point of view.

My thinking at the minute is Froome plus 1 high value rider (Sagan/Cavendish or maybe Contador/Voeckler) then some mid and low priced riders but there's not much quality lower down, might have to rethink and go for lots of mid-range guys...

101 comments

THE SILENT ASSASSIN [547 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Its a nightmare...Not enough cheapies to get a decent balanced team...Mid-range AR's it has to be.....

drheaton [3318 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

It's really tough and the profile is split more equally between flat and mountains than the Giro was so you need to try and cover the sprints a little more. In the Giro I stacked my team with climbers, for the Tour I feel like I need a few sprinters...

backflipbedlem [1200 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

wheres the best site, to be able to quickly browse the stage profiles etc?

0 likes

I flicked through them on letour.fr but you have to look at each stage separately.

If you wait a week or two sites like inrng.com will put up a full preview with all the profiles and I'm sure road.cc will be doing one too.

0 likes

Stage 1
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/100/PROFIL.png)

Stage 2
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/200/PROFIL.png)

Stage 3
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/300/PROFIL.png)

Stage 4
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/400/PROFIL.png)

Stage 5
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/500/PROFIL.png)

Stage 6
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/600/PROFIL.png)

Stage 7
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/700/PROFIL.png)

0 likes

Stage 8
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/800/PROFIL.png)

Stage 9
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/900/PROFIL.png)---------------------------------------
REST DAY
---------------------------------------

Stage 10
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1000/PROFIL.png)

Stage 11
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1100/PROFIL.png)

Stage 12
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1200/PROFIL.png)

Stage 13
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1300/PROFIL.png)

Stage 14
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1400/PROFIL.png)

0 likes

Stage 15
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1500/PROFIL.png)---------------------------------------
REST DAY
---------------------------------------

Stage 16
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1600/PROFIL.png)

Stage 17
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1700/PROFIL.png)

Stage 18
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1800/PROFIL.png)

Stage 19
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/1900/PROFIL.png)

Stage 20
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/2000/PROFIL.png)

Stage 21
//www.letour.fr/PHOTOS/TDF/2013/2100/PROFIL.png)

cherrypicked [168 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Procyclingstats works for me http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2013-Profiles_Overview

0 likes
cherrypicked wrote:
backflipbedlem wrote:

Procyclingstats works for me http://www.procyclingstats.com/race/Tour_de_France_2013-Profiles_Overview

Ah, yes, that would have been better than dumping them all into this thread.... oops.

cherrypicked [168 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
STEVESPRO 79 wrote:

Its a nightmare...Not enough cheapies to get a decent balanced team...Mid-range AR's it has to be.....

There will be some more cheapies coming when the teams fill out I reckon.

Stumps [3456 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Looking at the first dozen stages i can see Sagan winning about 7 of them, or if not, getting pretty damn close. I suppose thats him rather than Cav in my purist team.

0 likes

Cheers Doc!

0 likes

My basic analysis is:

Week 1 - lumpy unpredicatable stages mixed between GC, breaks and lump sprints. Exciting interesting racing

Week 2 - flat and dull, Cav to win every day and catch up with Sagan in the Green Jersey comp, not a lot else happening

Week 3 - massive mountains, lots of GC action, exciting race again!

Sagan/Cav to win about the same number of stages so it'll come down to how well they do when they don't win for the Green Jersey standings. If OPQS take Meersman it'll be interesting to see him go up against Sagan on the hill days.

Stage I'm most looking forward to? Stage 15, Mont Ventoux on Bastille day into a rest day, expect exciting explosive racing!

chiv30 [987 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Well I got a purist team picked....
2 KM
2 SP
1 AR
4 DS

Stage I'm most looking forwards to ....huez twice as I'll be there  4

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I've gone all French for my purist  4

SPEED098 [7 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Well if Sagan wins first week Cav second week, and win same number of stages each I will be doing pretty well with both of them  1
pretty tough to fill last two places with points left so why not a couple of French guys, to give me three in total.

TERatcliffe26 [4676 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Hard is an understatement. I think the fact there is no 3 credit guys to shove in is the worst part, regardless of who they may have been  39

0 likes

Agreed, given the lack of 3 credit riders you're effectively working with 5 or 10 less credits because your filler has to be more expensive.

I'm leaning towards changing my tactic and trying to get some quality in my team across the board and go for 9 scoring riders, the problem is picking the guys who'll score well.

0 likes

Anyone taking a punt on Schleck?

Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I've gone for Sagan as my big money pick; he's done some extremely impressive riding over big climbs recently and is clearly targeting the green jersey - which barring accident I think he'll take ahead of Cav.

Beyond him, I've tried to pin down value. Either Porte or Rogers need to be in there; as super-domestiques for the two favourites one or other could well be on the podium come Paris and I'd expect both to TT well. I've also got my white jersey pick in there and an outsider who could grab a stage win or two in the hills.

Then there are the low-value riders; I've gone for a couple of invitee picks who will hopefully get some breakaway points, a carrot for luck, a lead-out man and an accident-prone fans' favourite (ok, it's Jonny Hoogerland).

0 likes
drheaton wrote:

No, and I'll probably regret it!

d_jp [128 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Started looking and found the same as everyone else... this is gonna be difficult.  39

Only 9 riders are less than 5 credits... not sure I've seen that before.

0 likes

so in the Dauphine i left Froome out stage 1, and it cost me a place in top 10 (yes i'm still bitter about it).
Do i make the same mistake again??
Or bring in another sprinter? or Sagan?

0 likes

Notice that Garmin still haven't declared their full team. If Rohan Dennis gets the nod, my team will most likely change to include him.

stevemarks [472 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I have a team of Cav's and Sagan and 7 bargain types, but I am sure my thinking will change before the off.

0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Yes because he seems to be riding into some form and for 9.2 credits I think he's worth a punt come the high mountains  7

0 likes
chiv30 wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

Yes because he seems to be riding into some form and for 9.2 credits I think he's worth a punt come the high mountains  7

If nothing else he surely must end up in a break one day even if he drops out of GC contention, and yes, I agree, he seems to coming into form but 9.2 credits is a lot for a 'possible break guy' if that's what he ends up being.

0 likes
drheaton wrote:
chiv30 wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

If nothing else he surely must end up in a break one day even if he drops out of GC contention, and yes, I agree, he seems to coming into form but 9.2 credits is a lot for a 'possible break guy' if that's what he ends up being.

I agree with the possible break guy cost but as a purist pick on past rides and knowing what he's capable of on his day it's a price I'll take a punt on  1

0 likes
chiv30 wrote:
drheaton wrote:
chiv30 wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

I agree with the possible break guy cost but as a purist pick on past rides and knowing what he's capable of on his day it's a price I'll take a punt on  1

But that's been my exact reason for picking him in pretty much every purist comp so far - and every time I'd have been better off picking a well-considered domestique choice for less money (especially one from a team like OPQS/Cannondale who are more or less guaranteed to get stage wins). Not doing it again.

ray silvester [1836 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes
Ghedebrav wrote:
chiv30 wrote:
drheaton wrote:
chiv30 wrote:
Ghedebrav wrote:
drheaton wrote:

But that's been my exact reason for picking him in pretty much every purist comp so far - and every time I'd have been better off picking a well-considered domestique choice for less money (especially one from a team like OPQS/Cannondale who are more or less guaranteed to get stage wins). Not doing it again.

This is the most expensive he's been all season though?

As for the Cav/Sagan debate I'll do what I always do and look at the age......incidentally what's happening with the intermediate sprint scoring? Last season it was 15 down to 1 for the first 15 riders at each one.

Pages