Home

Annoying problem on today's ride - the garmin wouldn't consistently read the speed I was going, resulting in some hilarious moments where it couldn't decide between GPS or the wheel sensor and then told me I was going 120 MPH. Wheee

Anyone come across a problem like this before? I'm guessing it's a dodgy connection with the wheel sensor... it was reading cadence just fine, and I swapped the battery for a new one and was still getting the problem. The arm was as close to the magnet as I could safely get it - closer than I'd usually have it in fact.

Any thoughts?

5 comments

Bagpuss [99 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Always been the battery when mine has done the same. Think I remember reading somewhere that the wiring for the sensor arm was prone to corrosion, might be worth carefully dismantling it and checking.

bashthebox [751 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, yeah I was wondering about that. I had just given my bike a deep clean the day before; I wonder if I'd managed to get some goop in the connection?

Cycle_Jim [264 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Check that your wheel size is set right? Mine wasn't and kept giving incorrect read outs

slowboy [5 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

I had exactly the same problem - new sensor needed in the end but no problems since.

cidermart [489 posts] 3 years ago
0 likes

Definitely sounds like dirty/wet connection issue. Pop the battery and flood it with WD40 empty it out and try it again other than that ‘how old? Warranty claim’ or a new one.