Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike food - recipies?

Hi Folks - does anyone know of websites or useful books for cooking up ride snacks? I'm done with flapjacks and could do with something savory on longer rides - a ham roll is a favorite but quickly gets squashed/wet and loses its' appeal. Can you make cheese and ham flapjacks? They would be just the job I think.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

Low Speed Wobble | 10 years ago
0 likes

Pork pies. I swear by them.

HarryTrauts | 10 years ago
0 likes

These links and suggestions are excellent. As someone who hates bananas, it's good to see that not all "energy food" has to contain the evil yellow fruit.

BTW I would also recommend Malt Loaf but make sure you've got plenty of liquid to wash it off your teeth.  3

big shug | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the recommendations - will be trying them out; and thanks for the offer Gkam84.

MT63 replied to big shug | 10 years ago
0 likes

Try this site:

Www.nomeatathlete.com

He gives a formula for energy bars and smoothies rather than recipes. This means you can change your ingredients to whatever you have handy.

cavasta | 10 years ago
0 likes

Books:
Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald (Excellent book about managing food for health and performance - includes a section on meals and recipes.)
Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by D. Enette Larson-Meyer (Worth buying even if you're not a veggie. Includes some fantastic meals and recipe ideas - super nutritional and lip-smacking.)

lball9 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorren Malt Loaf - It's amazing. I use it on every ride!

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

http://lovingthebike.com/cycling-nurition/loving-the-bite-make-your-own-...

Some good drink recipes, I tried them quite good. Go a bit easy on the salt and sugar though! Think the yanks like a bit more than perhaps were accustomed to...maybe just me

Pedals | 10 years ago
0 likes

The saxo bank team chef brings out a book tomorrow to, the grand tour cookbook, will be popping in to my local book store see what food delights that holds!

farrell replied to Pedals | 10 years ago
0 likes
Pedals wrote:

The saxo bank team chef brings out a book tomorrow to, the grand tour cookbook, will be popping in to my local book store see what food delights that holds!

Do you reckon he'll have the balls to put a steak recipe in?

notfastenough replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:
Pedals wrote:

Do you reckon he'll have the balls to put a steak recipe in?

captain_slog | 10 years ago
0 likes

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

pdows47 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another recommendation for the feed zone cookbook, there's all sorts of recipes in there for food on and of the bike

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

look to combine the the period of energy release into your food for example

slow release energy foods such as wholemeal, granola.

medium energy release foods such as nuts, raisins

quick energy release foods such as treacle, syrup,.

so how about mixing in a bowl
granola
nuts
raisins
dark choc chips
raw eggs
banana
treacle
syrup

bake in oven for fifteen minutes, allow to cool and cut into small bite size pieces

Excellent for energy. and taste can vary by removing our adding things you like.

viveLaPants | 10 years ago
0 likes

This is a good place

http://ridefood.blogspot.co.uk/

the potato cakes and bacon bread slices actually do for lunch, they're lovely  26

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ahh yeah - I've had warburtons square wraps too. They're nice because you can get them in wholemeal.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The other thing you might like if you go down the wrap way.

Kingsmill Pockets. They are precut pitta's and do wonders  3

nicstevenson | 10 years ago
0 likes

I would hugely recommend the Feed Zone Cookbook... It's totally changed my eating habits for the good!

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've discovered wraps are a great back pocket thing - can't get squashed like raised bread does, and they're a better shape for fitting in amongst everything. I've been enjoying avocado and mozzarella recently. Maybe bung some cucumber in for a bit of crunch.

Marauder replied to bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes
bashthebox wrote:

I've discovered wraps are a great back pocket thing - can't get squashed like raised bread does, and they're a better shape for fitting in amongst everything. I've been enjoying avocado and mozzarella recently. Maybe bung some cucumber in for a bit of crunch.

I really like the sound of that.
I love wraps but never really thought of having them on the bike  4

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm currently working on a book....but I can give you some savoury flapjack recipes..

Latest Comments