Bike food - recipies?

by big shug   June 14, 2013  

Hi Folks - does anyone know of websites or useful books for cooking up ride snacks? I'm done with flapjacks and could do with something savory on longer rides - a ham roll is a favorite but quickly gets squashed/wet and loses its' appeal. Can you make cheese and ham flapjacks? They would be just the job I think.

20 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I'm currently working on a book....but I can give you some savoury flapjack recipes..

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8645 posts]
14th June 2013 - 16:51

like this
Like (3)

I've discovered wraps are a great back pocket thing - can't get squashed like raised bread does, and they're a better shape for fitting in amongst everything. I've been enjoying avocado and mozzarella recently. Maybe bung some cucumber in for a bit of crunch.

posted by bashthebox [595 posts]
14th June 2013 - 17:01

like this
Like (3)

bashthebox wrote:
I've discovered wraps are a great back pocket thing - can't get squashed like raised bread does, and they're a better shape for fitting in amongst everything. I've been enjoying avocado and mozzarella recently. Maybe bung some cucumber in for a bit of crunch.

I really like the sound of that.
I love wraps but never really thought of having them on the bike Big Grin

posted by Marauder [237 posts]
14th June 2013 - 17:17

like this
Like (3)

I would hugely recommend the Feed Zone Cookbook... It's totally changed my eating habits for the good!

posted by nicstevenson [30 posts]
14th June 2013 - 17:56

like this
Like (3)

The other thing you might like if you go down the wrap way.

Kingsmill Pockets. They are precut pitta's and do wonders Wink

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8645 posts]
14th June 2013 - 18:28

like this
Like (2)

Ahh yeah - I've had warburtons square wraps too. They're nice because you can get them in wholemeal.

posted by bashthebox [595 posts]
14th June 2013 - 19:24

like this
Like (5)

This is a good place

http://ridefood.blogspot.co.uk/

the potato cakes and bacon bread slices actually do for lunch, they're lovely Nerd

posted by viveLaPants [88 posts]
15th June 2013 - 17:27

like this
Like (3)

look to combine the the period of energy release into your food for example

slow release energy foods such as wholemeal, granola.

medium energy release foods such as nuts, raisins

quick energy release foods such as treacle, syrup,.

so how about mixing in a bowl
granola
nuts
raisins
dark choc chips
raw eggs
banana
treacle
syrup

bake in oven for fifteen minutes, allow to cool and cut into small bite size pieces

Excellent for energy. and taste can vary by removing our adding things you like.

posted by billyman [122 posts]
15th June 2013 - 19:21

like this
Like (5)

Another recommendation for the feed zone cookbook, there's all sorts of recipes in there for food on and of the bike

posted by pdows47 [103 posts]
17th June 2013 - 10:20

like this
Like (2)

Peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

Noli porcum linguere

captain_slog's picture

posted by captain_slog [262 posts]
17th June 2013 - 16:53

like this
Like (3)

The saxo bank team chef brings out a book tomorrow to, the grand tour cookbook, will be popping in to my local book store see what food delights that holds!

posted by Pedals [40 posts]
17th June 2013 - 21:50

like this
Like (4)

Pedals wrote:
The saxo bank team chef brings out a book tomorrow to, the grand tour cookbook, will be popping in to my local book store see what food delights that holds!

Do you reckon he'll have the balls to put a steak recipe in?

posted by farrell [1253 posts]
17th June 2013 - 21:54

like this
Like (3)

http://lovingthebike.com/cycling-nurition/loving-the-bite-make-your-own-...

Some good drink recipes, I tried them quite good. Go a bit easy on the salt and sugar though! Think the yanks like a bit more than perhaps were accustomed to...maybe just me

posted by Cycle_Jim [281 posts]
17th June 2013 - 22:22

like this
Like (5)

Sorren Malt Loaf - It's amazing. I use it on every ride!

"When my legs hurt, I say: Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!"

- Jens Voigt

posted by lball9 [12 posts]
17th June 2013 - 22:38

like this
Like (2)

farrell wrote:
Pedals wrote:

Do you reckon he'll have the balls to put a steak recipe in?

Big Grin

If I could have, say, 6 bikes, would it stop me drooling over others that I don't have?

posted by notfastenough [2890 posts]
17th June 2013 - 22:50

like this
Like (3)

Books:
Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald (Excellent book about managing food for health and performance - includes a section on meals and recipes.)
Vegetarian Sports Nutrition by D. Enette Larson-Meyer (Worth buying even if you're not a veggie. Includes some fantastic meals and recipe ideas - super nutritional and lip-smacking.)

cavasta's picture

posted by cavasta [194 posts]
19th June 2013 - 10:07

like this
Like (2)

Thanks for the recommendations - will be trying them out; and thanks for the offer Gkam84.

posted by big shug [40 posts]
20th June 2013 - 14:41

like this
Like (5)

Try this site:

Www.nomeatathlete.com

He gives a formula for energy bars and smoothies rather than recipes. This means you can change your ingredients to whatever you have handy.

posted by Dunluce [59 posts]
28th June 2013 - 8:14

like this
Like (3)

These links and suggestions are excellent. As someone who hates bananas, it's good to see that not all "energy food" has to contain the evil yellow fruit.

BTW I would also recommend Malt Loaf but make sure you've got plenty of liquid to wash it off your teeth. Wink

posted by harragan [21 posts]
1st July 2013 - 13:40

like this
Like (3)

Pork pies. I swear by them.

Low Speed Wobble's picture

posted by Low Speed Wobble [137 posts]
1st July 2013 - 16:34

like this
Like (3)