Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to replace alloy plates on ST-6700 Ultegra shifter

I came off my bike in the wet yesterday when my back wheel wiped out taking a left turn.

Apart from some gravel rash and a swollen wrist I caused some scratching to some bits of my bike. One of those was to the alloy looking piece of my left Ultegra ST-6700 shifter.

I have seen that those pieces known as plate A(centre piece) and plate B (side pieces) are available for about £10 each.

If I was to buy plate B, how easy or difficult is it to fit.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

mr-andrew | 10 years ago
0 likes

Generally, Ultegra (actually, most Shimano) shifters aren't the most serviceable - most repairs on them can be tricky as the internals are spring loaded.
However, I think you may be in luck - if it is just the cover plates up front (the ones that say 'flightdeck') you can very easily swap them out with nothing more than a small screwdriver.

Pull the lever and look on top, you'll see the first screw that holds the A plate. The second plate is held in with a pair of screws on the outside back bit when the lever is pulled forward.

Sensible replied to mr-andrew | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have searched the internet watched some Shimano videos and looked at my shifter and the replacement part. It seems that plate A at the front easily screws off, which is required to change the brake cable. Plate B looks a bit trickier. It looks as though the brake cable has to be taken off before unscrewing the alloy looking piece with a screw on either side. I just want to ensure that a spring or two doesnt fly out when I take off plate B.
Has anyone done this. Wiggle sell plate A and plate B so there must be a demand for them.

Latest Comments