Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Canyon CF Paint Finish

A friend has just purchased a new Canyon 7.0 CF bike directly from Canyon. He received it at the weekend and was assembling it ready for the maiden voyage when he started to notice a few paint defects.

A number of the defect appear to be thin paint and you can see the Carbon fibre weave, but the defect on the down tube are extremely prominent and look to be abrasions or actual defects.

He has contacted Canyon and they have said:

" Extraordinary surface design on black carbon frames

Canyon uses an innovative manufacturing method and coating process which guarantees a direct view of the carbon fibres on every bicycle frame. This is how we make the carbon fibre lay-up visible and every chassis therefore gets its own unique finish. Depending on the angle of the light shining on the frame, the appearance of this finish can change. This does not represent a flaw in the frame or its outer coating"

The above does explain the visible weave near the BB but in my opinion doesn't even come close to the marks on the down tube.

Are there any Canyon owners out there who have experienced similar?
I noticed Road.cc recently reviewed a CF Canyon. Did that bike have similar marks.
What are peoples general opinions? I know if it was me I wouldn't be satisfied with Canyon fobbing me off, the paint marks are so prominent that they actually looks like a second. If I had spent that much money on the bike I would want it perfect!!

Hopefully the pictures have attached correctly.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

32 comments

Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

The markings - especially the seam - is from the mould and looks like shoddy workmanship.  If you look how carbon frames are made - there's a Time video online that is quite interesting - then you'll see that it's quite messy: hence the importance of a good paint job (or a unidirectional surface weave). 

I would have stern words with Canyon.  Every other frame manufacturer seems to be able to offer a finished product for not much more... You could always change the tyres and send it back as unridden.  You have consumer rights.... 

jaicamp replied to Chris Hayes | 3 years ago
0 likes

It's going back under Canyon's 30 day option. Shame - it's a fantastic machine apart from the paintwork

Chris Hayes replied to jaicamp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps if you like the bike - and you tell them why you're returning it - they could select one with a paint job that covers the underlying carbon weave - or just a painted one. 

I like the Movistar colours.  That would cover it, but that would also date your bike.  I've seen a red Canyon on the road which also looked pretty cool (an aero bike)... 

FYI, I have a mate who noticed some similar discolouration on his Orbea (after about a year).  They replaced the frame with a custom-made, custom painted one and covered the cost of swapping the components over....  Basque-Spanish company owned by its workers... bought from Tri-Harder in Dereham... 

Too many black bikes around  1 

jaicamp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if this thread is still open, but I thought I'd weigh in with something a bit more recent - i.e this week - June 2020!

Took delivery of a Canyon CF 7.0 'Stealth' colour 4 days ago and took it out for a 2 mile quick test - beatiful machine.

However, notied a bit of the Carbon pattern thru 'thin' paint - found various sites and Canyon's own that says visible frame is intentional and 'unique'. So, fair enough, I can live with that, even quite like it (once I got used to the idea). BUT, I also noticed uneven patchiness in the paint when I started to look (including 'seam-like' lines). Well, OK too , I suppose, 'unique' is 'unique'.  When I say uneven I mean 'dark/light/milky/patchy...'.

BUT, and this is the BIG but, the forks are just not acceptable. Pics attached. When viewed glancingly, looks ok-ish, but close-up it is just a bad paint Job, paint lines, 'seam' lines, shows up as 'brown' in the sunlight!!!!! On a black/gray bike!!!!!

So, question to you experienced guys out there (I am just trying to get into cycling after I bought my son a road bike and thought 'this is fun').

Question: In your opinion, is the paint Job on these forks in any way acceptable? Is it reasonable for Canyon to ay, as they have, that 'although not to everybodys taste, this is to be expected on carbon frames' - and point to me their website article?

The bike is brand new, has done 2 miles max and in the sun the forks look like someone has wiped their bum on them! Am I just being picky>

Flying Scot | 9 years ago
0 likes

Swissvax do a wax for matt finishes, called opaque, but it's very expensive, though would be more than a lifetimes supply for 10 bikes.

jaicamp replied to Flying Scot | 3 years ago
0 likes

More pics (can you attach more than one at a time?)...

jaicamp replied to jaicamp | 3 years ago
0 likes

Even better...

mikemc | 9 years ago
0 likes

I just got a Carbon Canyon and noticed the same irregularities - but seems common so not to worried. What I am unable to find out from Canyon is which wax to use - colour of my bike is Acid Storm grey and dark grey is not a shiny finish and the grey colour almost feels rough, I did try wax on it and quit straight away - seemed to be damaging the color. Anybody out there got a an Acid storm colour? What wax do you use?

beej.a | 10 years ago
0 likes

thats just the way it is, my forks look like that

Danh4541 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just received my ultimate cf slx. I washed it for the first time with warm slightly soapy water and some small marks have appeared on the top tube. Anyone else experienced this?

chiv30 replied to Danh4541 | 10 years ago
0 likes
Danh4541 wrote:

Just received my ultimate cf slx. I washed it for the first time with warm slightly soapy water and some small marks have appeared on the top tube. Anyone else experienced this?

Nope mine is lucky if it gets washed twice a year , only thing that's gets a regular clean is the drivetrain and the wheelrims/brake cartridges
I like mine to look used  3

Tinternet_tim replied to Danh4541 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Do you have any pics of the marks you are referring to Dan.
I'm sure if you reply to riks reply further up the thread he will give you his experience and if he has seen similar.

Have you ridden in any areas when chemicals could have been spilt? Do you cycle to work or near factories where chemicals are used? Off the top of my head this is the only thing I can think of, and "maybe" because canyon use thinner paint it is effected by certain chemicals? (I'm sure others will have different theories)

RikShaw | 10 years ago
1 like

Evening. I’m Tims mate Rik. I hadn’t signed up for a road.cc account which is why Tim posted on my behalf. I must say that when we unboxed the frame we had reservations regarding the finish, but having spoken with the tech chaps at Canyon in London, done a little more research, read the posts on here, as well as reviewing the info that I should have read in the 1st place on the canyon website: https://www.canyon.com/_en/supportcenter/article.html?supportcenter_cate... my reservations have been answered. As one of the posts mentions, in artificial light, the effect is highlighted more so than in natural light. At different angles in natural light, it’s almost hologram-like (chiv30 says ‘silky’ which is also a good description). Having taken the bike for its inaugural ride, I notice a huge difference from my old specialized allez elite which is my workhorse. The canyon is an absolute pleasure to ride and whilst I don’t compete, I notice a huge difference on hills where I’m sure the weight and stiffness of the bike makes me feel like I’m flying up the hills! I’ve not taken the bike on a long ride yet, but so far it feels very comfortable. Re. the post which mentioned measurements – when I ordered from the canyon website, you measure every possible part of your body and if you’re unsure of where to measure from and to, the youtube video will assist. You can also speak with their tech services in London if you’re unsure of anything and they seemed very knowledge. Thanks all for your comments. Rik.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Si,

I was assuming that the state of the frame, which may well be as intended, was not as the customer had wanted or expected it to be. Collecting from an LBS would have avoided this disappointment (although i concede he may still have bought it given his satisfaction with how the machine performs..)

You're right, the value to be had online is great, on the face of it

And I've certainly gone there for components in the past

But the real value of things is in more than just the list price -you need to factor in support, service, warranty claiming issues etc.

Because i have such a bad record of breaking frames, and have had great support from LBS in the past, I would look at these factors before simply going for the cheapest option (plus there's no way you'd get me on a 6.6kg frame for this very reason!)

sihall34 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

@Si,

I was assuming that the state of the frame, which may well be as intended, was not as the customer had wanted or expected it to be. Collecting from an LBS would have avoided this disappointment (although i concede he may still have bought it given his satisfaction with how the machine performs..)

You're right, the value to be had online is great, on the face of it

And I've certainly gone there for components in the past

But the real value of things is in more than just the list price -you need to factor in support, service, warranty claiming issues etc.

Because i have such a bad record of breaking frames, and have had great support from LBS in the past, I would look at these factors before simply going for the cheapest option (plus there's no way you'd get me on a 6.6kg frame for this very reason!)

I understand what you're saying about visiting the LBS to see it first although I think you can go and see the bikes in their London Service Centre if you want. This is also true with other online retailers such as Planet X and Ribble. If you don't live near them, I get that it could be a long trip but for the savings it seems to make sense.

I also agree that it's hard to put a value on on intangible things like the ones you mention, my experience with them is that emails get answered quickly and they do have a UK Service Centre and a 6 year frame warranty so I concluded that it was worth the savings on the LBS. I am quite obsessive about researching things online so I understand that others may not as they may not feel as comfortable not dealing with someone they can go and have a chat with.

Also, I wouldn't consider Canyon the "cheapest" option, there are lots of cheap carbon frames out there, the research I did found that the Canyon frames tested very well in terms of longevity and stiffness as well as that particular frame being used by the Katusha team on the world tour. But again, if I'd have had your experience of breaking frames, I may have been hesitant to buy online.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

@Chiv30,

In this situation, it's good to get reassurance from other bike owners, sure,

But you miss my point completely

the point I was making, as T'intetnet Tim appreciates in his reply, is that seeing a bike in the flesh, inspecting it on collection, and being able to go back to LBS with any teething issues (not to mention the free service!) gives great peace of mind and of course is not possible (or at least very difficult) with retailers like Canyon..

Nothing against Canyon at all. I've heard they're very good. They may go the way of Focus, for example,.which started out as great value internet -only bikes for the UK market but are now stocked by actual bike shops here in the UK, making them even better!

chiv30 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

@Chiv30,

the point I was making, as T'intetnet Tim appreciates in his reply, is that seeing a bike in the flesh, inspecting it on collection, and being able to go back to LBS with any teething issues (not to mention the free service!) gives great peace of mind and of course is not possible (or at least very difficult) with retailers like Canyon..

Nothing against Canyon at all. I've heard they're very good. They may go the way of Focus, for example,.which started out as great value internet -only bikes for the UK market but are now stocked by actual bike shops here in the UK, making them even better!

Ok I should apologise , got a few things going on in my life and re reading my post I definitely came across as ranting which although wasn't intended  22

sihall34 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

@Chiv30,

I think you may have slightly missed the point though, buying from an online retailer is a compromise, no LBS is going to be able to sell you a 6.6kg pro pelaton frame built up with DA for £3.1k but you'd have to go to the "showroom" in London to see it before you buy. To me (and it seems others), it's worth the extra hassle to save thousands of pounds (how many services could you get at a LBS for that?). Also, Canyon offer return of the bike if you're not happy with it, you just request a return note, put it back in the box and send it back.

I do hope you're right though and they get stocked in shops but not if it ruins their value for money.

Also in your first point, you mentioned you wouldn't have been happy about the bike in that state, I think Chiv30 was pointing out that there was no "state", it's meant to be like that and most people are very happy with their bikes.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ah, the pitfalls of internet bike buying from foreign retailers..

Have to say, I'd be less than pleased with this and would advise your friend to seek a replacement from the supplier

You wouldn't accept it from a LBS in this state, so just because its a bit more hassle doesn't mean he shouldn't remain dissatisfied, which he obviously is..

chiv30 replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes
700c wrote:

Ah, the pitfalls of internet bike buying from foreign retailers..

Have to say, I'd be less than pleased with this and would advise your friend to seek a replacement from the supplier

You wouldn't accept it from a LBS in this state, so just because its a bit more hassle doesn't mean he shouldn't remain dissatisfied, which he obviously is..

Have you ever seen a canyon cf in the flesh or read any of the previous comments?

3 people with different bikes purchased at different times have the same finish myself included .....plus over the last couple of days I've seen another whilst out riding and afterstopping and chatting we discussed the cf finish .....guess what his was the same ....iit's meant to be like that and changes how it looks at different angles and under different lighting

Tinternet_tim replied to 700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

I understand your comments 700c as this was my thoughts when I first saw the frame.
I also had the same thoughts that if you had a showroom full of bikes with unusual appearance surface finish would it effect their sales. My mild OCD where things have to look just right would make me think twice (well, until I had ridden one then that would be out of the window  1

However, I think the finish was exacerbated as we only initially viewed it under artificial light and as Chiv and others has stated the finish is intended to look like this due to coating methods and I think it is to keep weight down further (helps them produce 7kg bikes).

If my mate was to return his bike (and believe me he isn't going to as he is SO happy with it) there is a very strong possibility that a replacement would be similar.

I haven't heard a Canyon owner do anything but praise their bike and it would appear those who replied actually like the appearance.

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nice bike. Ultegra Di2 version?
Out of interest, how do you specify the crank length you require on the Canyon website?

chiv30 replied to Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes
Old Cranky wrote:

Nice bike. Ultegra Di2 version?
Out of interest, how do you specify the crank length you require on the Canyon website?

If I remember correctly , when you place your order you can email them with any specifics/changes

Tinternet_tim replied to Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Old Cranky, as it is a friends bike I am not sure of the ordering process. I saw the other reply about e-mailing them with your crank length requirement. If you also want me to ask my mate I can. Let me know.
He has the Di2 version and although I only briefly saw it last weekend, it looks like a lovely bike. I can see why so many rave about the Canyons.
He's now taken it for the maiden ride and his text to me simple read "WOW", so I think he likes it!

Thanks to everyone else who has replied, I knew this was the right place to come to ask the question....you're a knowledgeable bunch!  1

chiv30 replied to Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Tinternet_tim wrote:

Old Cranky, as it is a friends bike I am not sure of the ordering process. I saw the other reply about e-mailing them with your crank length requirement. If you also want me to ask my mate I can. Let me know.
He has the Di2 version and although I only briefly saw it last weekend, it looks like a lovely bike. I can see why so many rave about the Canyons.
He's now taken it for the maiden ride and his text to me simple read "WOW", so I think he likes it!

Thanks to everyone else who has replied, I knew this was the right place to come to ask the question....you're a knowledgeable bunch!  1

Glad to help , I bet he will also tell you how light,stiff and yet comfortable it is as well  1

Eg3ftp1 | 10 years ago
0 likes

It looks like the frame has a 3k carbon weave at the junctions, and a unidirectional carbon finish along the tubes, not paint. Because the UD carbon ribbons overlap in a fairly random way and all catch the light differently, you get this slightly flaky, slightly pearlescent effect. Perhaps go to a bike shop and compare the appearance to a set of unidirectional finish deep section wheels. If the appearance is the same, you know that's how it's meant to look.

Solo77 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Raw carbon finish so shows up some resin residue.

Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks sim. So just to confirm. We aren't just talking being able to see the carbon weave throughs paint, which I agree looks pretty good (as in the pic I attached of the bottom bracket), but also the difference in shade as seen in pic 2 of the down tube near the bottle cage mount

sihall34 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have the same on mine, I don't think it's a defect in the paint job as such, I think it's just how the carbon finishes. I'm not sure it's even "painted" as such, just some transfers for the branding etc. I quite like the look.

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll be honest , when I'm out riding I don't notice but then my eyes are usually on the road even when grabbing a bottle , I have some " marks " like that on my downtube however if you look from above under artificial light they look quite prominent BUT if ou then angle your view they seem to vanish and look more like the frame has a silky (best way to describe it) covering .

Hope that helps  1

Pages

Latest Comments