Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

What GPS (Mapping req'd)

I recently lost my Bryton Rider 50 GPS unit. Normally, the loss of a £175 bit of kit would make me weep (at least), but on this occasion the most I could muster was an ambivalent 'meh'.

In short, it was rubbish.

Which leads me on to my question, can anyone recommend a gps unit with mapping which is actually user friendly?

Not bothered about HRM/Cadence etc but the ability to pre-plan a route on pc and upload, as well as recalculate en route, is vital as I like to get out and explore new areas.

I once used my smartphone with Strava or mapmyride (can't remember which now) - it lasted 3 hours from fully charged to fully deceased - useless.

I expect to see chorus of "Garmin Edge 800"s, and that's fine - just wondering if anyone has had any success with anything a bit cheaper maybe? The Mio looked promising but the reviews, not so good.

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

arfa | 10 years ago
0 likes

Another satisfied garmin 800 user here.
Get your free osm maps for the 800 here:
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you seen this? Just come out http://www.wiggle.co.uk/garmin-edge-touring/?utm_source=facebook&utm_med...

Looks like a cheap 800

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just download OSMand+ thanks for the recommendation! Hopefully put it to use this weekend!

PJ McNally | 10 years ago
0 likes

OSMand+ (the Android Open Street Map client) and a smartphone. Battery should be way better than 3 hours! If yours isn't, take it back!

N.b. with OSMand you can turn the phone data (3G) off and battery lasts way longer.

The other thing to do is turn screen off / brightness down.

You can even go to airplane mode, GPS and OSMand still work.

C.J | 10 years ago
0 likes

I also have an Edge 800, and I also love it. But a question for you other 800 users picking up on a point made by newtonk,

Is it possible to recalculate a route home based on unplanned detours? Or getting lost (can still happen!)

Mart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Garmin 800 user here. I thoroughly recommend it. Have been using it twice a day for nearly 2 years. Its turn by turn navigation is spot on. Its ability to configure the screens to your preferences is just the icing on the cake. The battery is supposed to be good for 18 hours, but I have not put this to the test yet but have never had a problem, always to keen to upload the data.

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have an 800. Came in at £240 with everything - maps, performance etc. I think its ace. I was going to get an Etrex 30 but by the time I added a handle bar mount there wasn't much in it. If I didn't want the cadence, hrm or even OS Maps and sold them on it would be cheaper than an Etrex!

bohrhead | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree with you on the Bryton Rider 50. I might 'lose' mine when the Leikr comes out here (once it has a bike mount and Strava support). http://leikr.com/

Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes

Etrex 30 with free routable maps downloaded from talkytoaster.com

With decent rechargeable batteries, I get about 24 hours before it dies. I then take the dead ones out and replace with the two I have stashed in my seat pack...or stop at a garage and buy some.

Admittedly, it's not uber-sexy looking but it's probably one of the most practical mapping options for long distance riding. You will see loads of Etrex units on Audaxes. I got mine for £160. If you don't want hrm/cadence the Etrex 20 is cheaper at around £130.

newtonk replied to Jack Osbourne snr | 10 years ago
0 likes
Jack Osbourne snr wrote:

Etrex 30 with free routable maps downloaded from talkytoaster.com

With decent rechargeable batteries, I get about 24 hours before it dies. I then take the dead ones out and replace with the two I have stashed in my seat pack...or stop at a garage and buy some.

Admittedly, it's not uber-sexy looking but it's probably one of the most practical mapping options for long distance riding. You will see loads of Etrex units on Audaxes. I got mine for £160. If you don't want hrm/cadence the Etrex 20 is cheaper at around £130.

This looks a really interesting option Jack, thanks. I find it strange that none of the cycling websites review the non-cycling specific gps units - seems they may do the job just as well, or better than many premium-priced cycle specific units. And the Talkytoaster free maps look great, too! Definitely on the shortlist, much appreciated.

Al'76 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll chuck tuppence in; I've been using a Garmin 800 for about 18 months or so. I have the Navigation and Performance bundle so have used it for training and, well, navigating.
I can't rate it highly enough. Right about now, with the release of the 810, there are some bargains out there to be had. Way back when, the best price I could find was with an online company called Handtec. I don't know if their pricing is still competitive, but there will be deals to be had  4

newtonk | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the response mikecoffee, the 800 seems pretty well reviewed in most places, as it should be for that price! Might try to source one on ebay 2nd hand.

mikecoffee | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sorry but i love my garmin edge 800, its great as i'm new to cycling and use it all the time to find new routes, i'm sure in a year or two i won't need it and will maybe just get the "510" or what ever its will be called, but in these early years of wanting to plan routes for training, the garmin course planner is great.

billyman | 10 years ago
0 likes

smartphone with Google maps for the Sat nav effect, or app strava on the smartphone for leader boards saying collecting etc, all free with a smart phone

Jaltham | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bryton 50 OR the 60 when it comes out later this summer.

Latest Comments