New to Tubs .... tape or glue?

by veseunr   June 9, 2013  

So just got my first set of Tubular wheels. What is the best method of securing my tyres? Glue or tape?

Tyre preference: Continental Competition or Vittoria??!

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

vredestein tubs - tufo tape.

stick like s*** to a blanket, fast and haven't punctured in 2 seasons.

posted by mathewshotbolt [99 posts]
9th June 2013 - 12:02

like this
Like (0)

Vittoria's are li'l bitches. They looks and roll real nice though. Pretty light too.

Can't repair them.

I've got Vittoria Corsa Elites taped with Velox Jantex rim tape.

That's a li'l bitch as well, get something with plastic backing paper, the velox stuff is absolute crap.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1725 posts]
9th June 2013 - 16:24

like this
Like (0)

+1 on jantex tape being useless, I totally screwed up due to the backing tape tearing

Next time I'll use glue, gives it time to properly adjust before it sets, as opposed to tape which instantly grabs once the tape is removed.

posted by 700c [485 posts]
9th June 2013 - 21:35

like this
Like (0)

+1 on the glue front Smile

still on the 3rd switch-back of Bwlch !

posted by therevokid [585 posts]
10th June 2013 - 11:28

like this
Like (0)

I did a lot of research when I bought tubular wheels. I thought I was going to go with tape (and had even bought some), but the more I read, the more I felt like it might be safer to use glue - really wanted to minimise the risk of rolling a tyre. Harder work to get right though.

I do carry a roll of tape with me when I ride though as an emergency solution if I have to change a tyre at the roadside and find the old glue on old glue interface is not good enough. Fingers crossed, I have not yet had to do that.

posted by Tjuice [93 posts]
10th June 2013 - 13:16

like this
Like (0)

+1 on the Tufo Tape. So easy no mess. Even Wheelsmiths agree so it must be okay.

posted by AWP [68 posts]
10th June 2013 - 16:18

like this
Like (0)

I'd definitely tape, just don't use Velox Jantex.

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1725 posts]
10th June 2013 - 21:16

like this
Like (0)

Glue, several thin layers on each surface. Vittoria Corsa - fabulous. Or better still - FMBs. Lush.

Low Speed Wobble's picture

posted by Low Speed Wobble [137 posts]
10th June 2013 - 21:34

like this
Like (0)