Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New to Tubs .... tape or glue?

So just got my first set of Tubular wheels. What is the best method of securing my tyres? Glue or tape?

Tyre preference: Continental Competition or Vittoria??!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Low Speed Wobble | 10 years ago
0 likes

Glue, several thin layers on each surface. Vittoria Corsa - fabulous. Or better still - FMBs. Lush.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd definitely tape, just don't use Velox Jantex.

AWP | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 on the Tufo Tape. So easy no mess. Even Wheelsmiths agree so it must be okay.

Tjuice | 10 years ago
0 likes

I did a lot of research when I bought tubular wheels. I thought I was going to go with tape (and had even bought some), but the more I read, the more I felt like it might be safer to use glue - really wanted to minimise the risk of rolling a tyre. Harder work to get right though.

I do carry a roll of tape with me when I ride though as an emergency solution if I have to change a tyre at the roadside and find the old glue on old glue interface is not good enough. Fingers crossed, I have not yet had to do that.

therevokid | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 on the glue front  1

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 on jantex tape being useless, I totally screwed up due to the backing tape tearing

Next time I'll use glue, gives it time to properly adjust before it sets, as opposed to tape which instantly grabs once the tape is removed.

Raleigh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Vittoria's are li'l bitches. They looks and roll real nice though. Pretty light too.

Can't repair them.

I've got Vittoria Corsa Elites taped with Velox Jantex rim tape.

That's a li'l bitch as well, get something with plastic backing paper, the velox stuff is absolute crap.

mathewshotbolt | 10 years ago
0 likes

vredestein tubs - tufo tape.

stick like s*** to a blanket, fast and haven't punctured in 2 seasons.

Latest Comments