what are the benefits of shaving your legs....seriously

by joc   June 6, 2013  

i can't believe that it makes really any difference to a regular cyclist, but i'm willing to be proved wrong

47 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

notfastenough wrote:

Personally I like the hairy legs look for blasting past others. It's kinda like putting V6 in a Mini and leaving the outside to look completely standard.

My thoughts entirely..... but a friendly, nonchalant, "Alright mate!" as you go by helps

posted by SideBurn [763 posts]
7th June 2013 - 10:15

like this
Like (1)

It's just for looks but I seriously don't understand why guys want to look like they have women's legs. I've been pushed to do it for years by peers but I shall never cave!

"When my legs hurt, I say: Shut up legs! Do what I tell you to do!"

- Jens Voigt

posted by lball9 [12 posts]
7th June 2013 - 10:59

like this
Like (1)

There is something satisfying about having flies squashed on your legs, rather than getting trapped in the hair as you ride along

posted by pirnie [176 posts]
7th June 2013 - 12:09

like this
Like (0)

If you arent getting paid to ride your bike and you shave your legs then you are a bit of dick.
In my opinion.

posted by Some Fella [706 posts]
7th June 2013 - 13:00

like this
Like (0)

Some Fella wrote:
If you arent getting paid to ride your bike and you shave your legs then you are a bit of dick.
In my opinion.

I get paid to ride (not in a pro manner, I do Sky Rides) and I shave Tongue

Anyway, I like the clean sheets and fresh legs feeling, my MTB crashes are easier to clean, and since started the management tells me off if I don't shave- she hates my legs being stubbly

posted by pdows47 [103 posts]
7th June 2013 - 13:15

like this
Like (1)

Don't think it makes any difference but if you are ripped it looks ace.

posted by bike_food [91 posts]
7th June 2013 - 13:28

like this
Like (0)

Real question should be Veet, shave or wax.

posted by Spooks [61 posts]
7th June 2013 - 21:33

like this
Like (0)

Valkyrie wrote:
Guys, guys, guys,

For greater muscle definition, why shave when Veet does the job for you, just read the reviews...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/health-beauty/dp/B000KKNQBK
...they are hilarious!

Hilarious reviews.

posted by dreamlx10 [129 posts]
7th June 2013 - 21:56

like this
Like (1)

Some Fella wrote:
In my opinion.

Spoken like a true ""Gringo".

posted by dreamlx10 [129 posts]
7th June 2013 - 21:57

like this
Like (1)

Some Fella wrote:
In my opinion.

quite ironic really because that's quite a dickish thing to say...just saying

joc's picture

posted by joc [71 posts]
7th June 2013 - 22:29

like this
Like (1)

I shaved my arm pits once. The itching is horrendous. Never again, and never will I seek to defluff anything but my face.

The only reason to shave is that if you're regularly getting massaged. It's hard enough to get my girlfriend to do the part that really aches, let alone my legs alas.

posted by Colin Peyresourde [1058 posts]
7th June 2013 - 23:03

like this
Like (2)

Krd51 wrote:
It looks good for a start. All these newbies with hairy legs and black socks should be shot!!!!!

[[[ Quite right, KRD51.....black socks???? Armstrong shoulda bin prosecuted for that alone. Looked like he'd forgotten the long suspenders. UGLY!
P.R.

PhilRuss

posted by PhilRuss [267 posts]
10th June 2013 - 15:40

like this
Like (0)

What is wrong with black socks? You are making me feel all self conscious Thinking

posted by SideBurn [763 posts]
10th June 2013 - 21:29

like this
Like (0)

SideBurn wrote:
What is wrong with black socks? You are making me feel all self conscious Thinking

One of the first cyclist biographies I read was of Fausto Coppi. I recall that he wore black socks for the very practical reason that they didn't show the dirt, didn't need washing as often as white socks so the rider needed fewer pairs.

The logic is inescapable and if it's good enough for Coppi.....

Crosshouses's picture

posted by Crosshouses [168 posts]
11th June 2013 - 19:56

like this
Like (1)

joc wrote:
Some Fella wrote:
In my opinion.

quite ironic really because that's quite a dickish thing to say...just saying

Just expressing an opinion. Just sayin like.

posted by Some Fella [706 posts]
11th June 2013 - 21:23

like this
Like (1)

My road shoes are black. So black socks look better with them. What's a guy to do?

posted by Spatulala [36 posts]
12th June 2013 - 6:34

like this
Like (0)

Surely it's about contrast, black socks & white shoes = good, black socks & black shoes = schoolboy

posted by bike_food [91 posts]
12th June 2013 - 7:53

like this
Like (1)

not even velominati insist on white socks

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7227 posts]
12th June 2013 - 8:40

like this
Like (0)

farrell wrote:
Chicks* dig it**.

*By "chicks" I mean other males, possibly even ten or fifteen years your senior.

**By "dig it" I mean acknowledgement via a chin jut or barely perceptible nod of approval.

Probably the best answer on here, though after 3 months of doing it I've found that it actually has a few benefits:

1. It makes a mental difference, you feel quicker, even if it doesn't actually make a physical difference.
2. If you're on the commute and need to get clean when time is of the essence when you arrive, it makes cleaning your legs a heck of a lot easier.
3. You get loads more definition, which, if you're vain (and let's face it, we are) makes all those miles count for something while your upper body shrivels away!
I wouldn't go back now until I have to wear bibtights again. Stubble looks/feels terrible!

YorkshireMike's picture

posted by YorkshireMike [65 posts]
12th June 2013 - 11:35

like this
Like (0)

Why not just go the whole hog and get laser treatment - then you don't need to bother with shaving/stubble again.

posted by Tjuice [104 posts]
12th June 2013 - 11:53

like this
Like (1)

White shoes, black socks!

Tried the shaving malarkey too much effort! Kudos to my GF for making the effort...

posted by Cycle_Jim [281 posts]
12th June 2013 - 12:15

like this
Like (0)

It's a sign... if someone joins our group ride or I'm in an unfamiliar ride then I want to get some idea of whether people know what they are doing.

It's not for the sake of being judgmental, but for the sake of my safety and my bike's preservation.

I will look at their kit, their bike and their legs to get an initial judgement.

Obviously you then have to look at the way they (and the group) ride and be prepared to revise your opinion as different situations occur.

It just helps to know which wheels you think you can trust.

If you're never in that situation there's probably no real reason to do it.

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [493 posts]
12th June 2013 - 16:55

like this
Like (1)

[[[ Nah. as Velominati has it, white socks are old-school-cool. Fausto Coppi wore his white socks till they were black, see? But what goes with black socks on the velo? The bowler hat, the briefcase, the long black umbrella, the pin-stripe strides....eeks!
P.R.

PhilRuss

posted by PhilRuss [267 posts]
13th June 2013 - 19:55

like this
Like (2)

YorkshireMike wrote:

3. You get loads more definition, which, if you're vain (and let's face it, we are) makes all those miles count for something while your upper body shrivels away!Stubble looks/feels terrible!

For me "definition" = varicose veins Sad

Crosshouses's picture

posted by Crosshouses [168 posts]
18th June 2013 - 19:41

like this
Like (0)

oh my dear God. I just tried to an experiment and had a go on Mrs S's epilady. I feel as though I know more about the pain of childbirth. Not sure I'll ever repeat that again Crying

posted by snappyandrew [61 posts]
18th June 2013 - 20:12

like this
Like (0)

Just veet them .....yes it feels odd but if ur missus is trained in sports massage it makes the post ride treatment less painful (no hair bein pulled whilst being massaged)

posted by chiv30 [811 posts]
23rd June 2013 - 22:03

like this
Like (0)

Epilators hurt bad but you get used to it and the benefits are that you don't get stubble but soft hairs growing back and you don't have to epilate as often as you'd need to shave.

These "Rules" are amusing http://www.sub5century.org/news/the-40-immutable-rules-of-cycling/ and I particularly like this one:

Rule #17: Legs are to be carefully shaved at all times. If, for some inexplicable reason, your legs are to be left hairy, make sure you can dish out plenty of hurt to your shaved brethren.

posted by harragan [21 posts]
24th June 2013 - 11:07

like this
Like (0)

abudhabiChris wrote:

I will look at their kit, their bike and their legs to get an initial judgement.

You know that situation when you pass someone on your ride, and they look you up and down before deciding not to acknowledge your friendly greeting?

This comment has brought to mind this exact situation - the feeling of being judged/ subjected to other people's snobbery. Really p*sses me off and it's symptomatic of the bad attitudes that exist in some quarters of cycling.

@Abudhabichris, I'm not suggesting you are a culprit of this, and I get the need to trust prople on a fast group ride or whatever, but you should never judge a book by it's cover..

So what if I have hairy legs? ride with a stem that is not slammed, have black socks, wear a Sky top without being paid by the team to do so, or have committed some other faux pas?

It bears no reflection on me as a person, as a cyclist, or anything.

So stop judging, people!

posted by 700c [538 posts]
26th June 2013 - 10:53

like this
Like (0)

If people didn't judge books by their covers then Waterstone's would be a very different place...

It's a good analogy in fact. The book cover is part of the initial decision, if you didn't already know the book or author. But once you start reading it you can make a more informed and accurate review.

The fact is, what you do and wear DOES say something about you as a cyclist, person etc.

It doesn't, or shouldn't, affect your value or rights but it does reflect on you.

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [493 posts]
26th June 2013 - 18:45

like this
Like (0)

"The Rules" are there to have some fun, not be followed to the letter. Wear and do what you like, but some of the rules make sense and some just feel good. some are just odd, eg glasses over helmet straps... though half wheeling in mtb shoes with full team kit might have some people looking funny at you =) Though that is true of any hobby / sport, get too "all the gear" and not be able to carry it off and you'll look a bit silly.
I've stuck with shaving this summer, decided I like the look for this season anyway. Just need some sunshine now. It does help with massage and with getting suncream evenly on my legs, plus scrapes and cuts heal faster too.

Cannondale CAAD10, Condor Terra-X and an orange Brompton.
Ride for East London Velo

zzgavin's picture

posted by zzgavin [204 posts]
27th June 2013 - 22:34

like this
Like (0)