Home

Well the usual breakaway for this stage, but will it last or will the likes of OPQS come to the fore so Meersman can all but wrap up the points jersey.

Decision time for transfers, no doubt there will be a lot of people swapping Bertie / JRod for Froome / Valverde.

39 comments

drheaton [3323 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Thinking about dropping Valverde actually and Porte (plus Pinotti and Elissonde) to bring in some sprinters but tomorrow isn't a long stage and I don't want to go all in on sprinters and have it backfire. The annoying thing is that Porte is just on the cusp of being worth keeping, his 9 GC points are handy but not a great return on his cost. Likewise Valverde, he's expensive but could mix it up at the finish tomorrow but at 40 credits he'll need to finish highly (top 10?) to be worth keeping in.

EBH, Meersmam and Viviani are all going well as are the likes of Gallopin and Matthews so there's plenty of choice but tomorrow may be a break day. Sky won't want to work too hard and at only 143km someone like OPQS will have to control it from the gun.

Leaning towards sprinters but I don't want to risk too much and lose my top ten place. Decisions decisions  39

Timbo13 [264 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Colours. Mast.

Made my decision: Porte and Fulsgang out, Meersman & Matthews in.

Froome
Matthews
Barhane
Kwiatkowski
Meersman
Veilleux
Damuseau
Konig
Vachon

Raleigh [1667 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

So here are my picks.

Contador will be smarting from today's second place, so will definitely put his Saxo Bank team on the front in the last 35km to set him up for a win today. He'll want to show SKY that he can compete at next year's tour.

You'll definitely want Simon Clarke in your team, he has a proven history on finished like these, not having him would be throwing points away!

My bet for a podium place is Laurens Ten Dam, those of you who follow him on strava will see that he's put a lot of work in before this tour, but he's yet to get his hands in the air. Expect to see him well up there.

Ghedebrav [1099 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I've one eye on the following two stages with my transfers, but have a couple of lads who should be mixing it at the finish for a podium spot.

I've not gone for Bouhanni, which may be a mistake as he seems very lively, if still lacking a degree of nous - he definitely wants something out of this tour and a stage win tomorrow would fit the bill. Still, I haven't picked him

cherrypicked [174 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Looking for a Van rensburg Viviani Meersman 1-2-3 with Vachon thrown in there somewhere as well. Along with damuseau and veilleux in the break. And if froome, Porte and Dennis can manage some finish line points then that would top it off....

0 likes

Froome
EBH (for Porte)
Meersman (for Valverde)
Viviani (for Elissonde)
Geslin (for Pinotti)
Barguil
Fonseca
Barhana
Veilleux

Big risk today banking on a sprint finish. Hoping that by having EBH and Viviani as well as the obvious Meersman I make up some ground on those above me. Also brought in Geslin as he's cheap and has shown fairly well in the sprints.

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Froome
Meersman(fugslang)
Dennis
Damuseau (Konig)
Kwiatkowski
Fonseca
Veilleux
Cunego
Clement

backflipbedlem [1200 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Froome
Konig
porte
Barguil
Meersman(De Gendt)
Janse Van Rensburg
Navarro (Pinotti)
Veilleux
Fairly

Not gone uber sprinty, trying to think about the last few stages, wanted Damuseau but already got 2 Argos riders.
Brought in Navarro, just to be different.

0 likes

Great Barguil has crahsed, apparently he's back up on his bike!

0 likes

Think Meersman has one the first sprint point

livestrongnick [2118 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

First int Sprint:-
Gianni Meersman
Sylvain Chavanel
Nikolas Maes

johnny2names [198 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
cherrypicked wrote:

Looking for a Van rensburg Viviani Meersman 1-2-3 with Vachon thrown in there somewhere as well. Along with damuseau and veilleux in the break. And if froome, Porte and Dennis can manage some finish line points then that would top it off....

Oh yes, very similar here.. Although I've gone bouhanni over viviani, couldnt help myself, im a bit frog you see  1

stevemarks [472 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Faffed a bit and not overly happy with the result but should get a few points

Meersman
Matthews
Konig
Porte
Dennis
Berhane
Veilleux
Barguil
Gallopin.

Meersman, Gallopin, Matthews obviously what I want to see.

ray silvester [1836 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Meersman and Matthews in for Fuglsang and Konig.

Froome
Kwiatkowski
Veilleux
Fonseca(come on Fonzie!!)
Matthews
Meersman
Navarro
Damuseau
Dennis

3rd in the ITT,25th yesterday but back to the sort of terrain I can't get to grips with this season(my spring classics form will tell you that!!).

stevemarks [472 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

We have a breakaway of three trying

Juan Antonio Flechas
Bazayev
Huzarski

0 likes

Just know that Vichot is going to do something today, and I um'd and ah'd about sticking him in last night!

TERatcliffe26 [4727 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Well Ive had an absolute shocker so far. Had to take a penalty to get Froome in for Valverde.

Froome
Meersman
Gallopin
Konig
Dennis
Clement
Chertnesky
Berhane
Fonseca

chiv30 [987 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Well since stage 2 I've taken 80 penalty points and even if I hadn't I would be no better off .....this is a complete bust .....cest la vie

enrique [2386 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
live.cyclingnews.com wrote:

...the sprint has sparked an attack. Chavanel kept going and has been joined by other riders...However the peloton has quickly chased them down...

...Frenchman Pierre Rolland (Team Europcar) tried to get in the move...

...Thomas Voeckler (Team Europcar) has gone across and through the breakaway...

Ah, today is my kind of day... A day of heroics... Chavanel tried, Rolland tried and here comes Tommy Voeckler! Go Tommy!  1

I'd say De Gendt is a good bet for tomorrow and Rolland for the day after!  1

0 likes
backflipbedlem wrote:

Just know that Vichot is going to do something today, and I um'd and ah'd about sticking him in last night!

Phew Vichot has cracked

0 likes
@PelotonWatch wrote:

Matthews off the back
Hushovd also off the back
Chavanel dropped.
Simon Clarke off the back
21.5km to go and 1'08" to Peloton and 1'40" to Bouhanni group.

From their twitter feed...

0 likes

...Both Chavanel and Tony Martin have sat up after working hard for Meersman but he lacks teammates for the final chase of the break...

0 likes
enrique wrote:

...my picks for...a breakaway:
... 34.2 Thomas Voeckler..

chiv30 wrote:

And judging on your finishing position in the Giro.......I'll ignore the breakaway advice you have given  7

Heh heh!  1

chiv30 [987 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
enrique wrote:

...my picks for...a breakaway:
... 34.2 Thomas Voeckler..

chiv30 wrote:

And judging on your finishing position in the Giro.......I'll ignore the breakaway advice you have given  7

Heh heh!  1

And as I said not long afterwards his price for breakaway points doesn't make it worth sacrificing anyone , now in the tdf it would be different because if it doesn't work a couple of bad days aren't too bad , in a week long race, it's suicide as I have found out , if you get things wrong

0 likes

1 VOECKLER Thomas
2 HERRADA LOPEZ Jose
3 SEELDRAEYERS Kevin
4 SILIN Egor
5 BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
6 MEERSMAN Gianni
7 GAVAZZI Francesco
8 SULZBERGER Wesley
9 GERARD Arnaud
10 KWIATKOWSKI Michal
11 ROHREGGER Thomas
12 CHERNETSKIY Sergey
13 KOREN Kristjan
14 MATE MARDONES Luis Angel
15 GAUTIER Cyril
16 QUINZIATO Manuel
17 DENNIS Rohan
18 SLAGTER Tom-Jelte
19 PORTE Richie
20 TALANSKY Andrew

167 PARISIEN Francois
DNF KRITSKIY Timofey
DNF JANSE VAN RENSBURG Reinardt
DNF HUGUET Yann
DNS FAVILLI Elia

0 likes
chiv30 wrote:

...his price for breakaway points doesn't make it worth sacrificing anyone...

I guess we're looking at it differently... I think he's worth bringing in on a day like today for someone like Froome, if you're really (!) behind and then swapping him back out the next stage... I think you're talking about having him and keeping him on the whole race.. Which I agree I wouldn't do... I meant for my list to be people you swap in...

JohnnyRemo [198 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I thought you didn't get breakaway points in a stage race???
(Good pick, btw)

cherrypicked [174 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
enrique wrote:
chiv30 wrote:

...his price for breakaway points doesn't make it worth sacrificing anyone...

I guess we're looking at it differently... I think he's worth bringing in on a day like today for someone like Froome, if you're really (!) behind and then swapping him back out the next stage... I think you're talking about having him and keeping him on the whole race.. Which I agree I wouldn't do... I meant for my list to be people you swap in...

Of course it's worth it if you can get the right person on the right day!!

Gkam84 [9108 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Scores are updating as we speak  26

0 likes
JohnnyRemo wrote:

I thought you didn't get breakaway points in a stage race???
(Good pick, btw)

You don't, but riders in the break get points for intermediate sprints and KoM points so it works out the same way.

Pages