Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HELP : Hydraulic brakes....

Before getting the trike, the closed I'd ever come to using hydraulic disc brakes was working on friends motorbikes.

I'm having HUGE problems, it started not long after a lengthy ride. I was just pulling into the house and noticed that I didn't have much in the way of brakes. This is going back weeks. So I tried to bleed and re-fill them. That worked for a couple of days, but soon became spongy again.

Then I tried new pads and rotors. Still nothing.

So over the last couple of days. I've had them off the bike, cleaned through with fluid and flushed out, then refilled and bled them. Fitted them to the bike. I got two good hard stops and now I have NOTHING, the brakes just won't engage.

So this afternoon I bled and filled them again. I have about half power in the left side and NOTHING in the right. I just can't figure out what to try next??

I've made sure all bolts on the brakes and callipers are tight, nothing is leaking and there doesn't seem to be any air getting into the system. Just can't work out when they are not working.

Any ideas?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

There might be air in the system somewhere, but I can't sort it, the LBS can't sort it. So hoping to get it sorted under warranty.

When I got the bike, I could lift the back wheel just by braking the front wheels.

Not I can't even stop the trike....  39

chiv30 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok this may sound a little odd but are you sure there is no moisture getting into the system?
If you have bled them and have even the slightest bit of air in there it can then create moisture which will then push ur brakes one of two ways , either no brake force at all or it will force the brakes on locking them solid , my bro had that problem with some avid mtb brakes , changed the fluid for a different brand and never had the problem since

Just my 2p worth  1

Lost faith in t... | 10 years ago
0 likes

do they squeal and make vibrations under braking? how far is the lever pulling back ?

Gkam84 replied to Lost faith in the brand | 10 years ago
0 likes
Lost faith in the brand wrote:

do they squeal and make vibrations under braking? how far is the lever pulling back ?

No squealing, the left lever comes back around 3/4 and the right can be pulled on full and doesn't do anything

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

4 At least it should get sorted now.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ok, I've got back to ICE with them, should still be under warranty after my LBS got fed up of me asking questions.  19

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sounds reasonable or change systems as getting cables is a lot easier and no bleeding, not as good though.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Joys, it was hard enough tracking down pads. I'm thinking about just buying different callipers and using the rest of the kit I already have  39

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Then I would check the seals and O rings or just change them.

I came across this which seems a little too familiar if you ask me.

http://www.velovision.com/forum-new/read.php?3,3189

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'll double check them, but pretty sure nothing is letting air into the system, I went over everything when I striped them down  39

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Mine was the actual connection of the banjo to the hose that was letting air in.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

The banjo's? I've striped and cleaned them out and put it all back together..  39

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

Check the connections on the end of the hose's/replace them as i had a similar problem and it was drawing in at that point.

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I thought it was air aswell, that's why I bled them, I needed new pads and rotors anyway, so replaced them.

I've got Tektro Volans. I have the right bleed kit and done everything I know to sort it out.

I've even hung them pulled on overnight to let any air rise through the system. But its just not working.

The brakes take mineral oil and that's what I'm using.

Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sponginess sounds like air in the system rather than anything external, i.e. rotors etc.

What make or brakes? I have Avid juices on my mtb and the only way I have been able to correctly bleed the brakes is with a syringe bleed kit. You use the syringe to fill the system and then you pull out all the bubbles by creating a vacuum by pulling on the syringe.
It was a slow process but all the air was removed from the system.
Also check that you are using the correct fluid for the brakes. Think mine was 5.1.
If memory serves me correctly, there were some useful vids on youtube.
If it isn't necessarily sponginess but they don't work very well then make sure you have got any fluid on the pads.
If you have tried all that then I'm stumped.

Latest Comments