Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pearson IMNOTANUMBER vs Ribble R872

Sorry to bore everyone over the usual "which bike would you choose" thread, but I'm cursed with indecision so I'm looking for some advice.

A few month ago I had my Pearson IMNOTANUMBER stolenand having failed to get my insurance back I'm now saving for a replacement. I was just going to march down to East Sheen and get a like for like replacement (SRAM Apex groupset, H+Son rims on Chris KIng hubs, rest is as specced by Pearson themselves with their stuff).

This was my first proper geared road bike for about 25 year although I commute on SS and have a steel tourer as well as Surly Troll for kicking about on trails so not a novice cyclist, however I'm tubby at best and wanted to shift pounds on longer, faster miles.

I'm ashamed to admit I choose the Pearson based on the look but I have to admit in the 5 weeks I had it I loved it and even rode with a local CC for the first time and loved tha too. And then it was stolen.

When I started to look around I noticed the Ribble R872 and thought that it was a good value, good looking bike and could turn out a higher specced bike for less money. I've looked into carbon weaves to see if there was a noticeable difference in build quality (I couldn't tell you anyway, I was crap at Physics/Chemistry) and I've compared the 57cm vs 54.5 geometry and the Pearson was a little more 'relaxed', maybe even a little more comfortable.

I'd like a bike I can upgrade over time but want it to feel right as I start my new found interest. In the end I'd like to do Sportives and club rides.

Which would you choose?

Thanks

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/40412/Pearson-ImNotANumber/

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/bbd/road-track-bike/ribble-r872?part=BB13R...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Don't under-estimate fit and don't over-estimate the difference a few grammes on different component make. If you ride the Pearson more, you'll be losing weight yourself long after you're thinking about whether you should have gotten a better groupset or wheels.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'd take the Pearson - they are lovely looking bikes - nothing wrong with choosing based on the look, that's what's going to make you want to ride it on a miserable morning.

It's also a known quantity for you.

trainhitsboy | 10 years ago
0 likes

Good point. Well made.

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

If the Pearson fits you and as you say you loved it, that should be your choice

Anything else is a bit of a risk, even taking into account the slightly better value from Ribble.

Also, IMNOTANUMBER sounds better than R872, and perhaps is a bit more unique!

Latest Comments