Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Creaky cranks

This is doing my head in...
My BB makes a click/creak when I put it under load, at certain parts of the pedal stroke. It seems to be only on the left hand side. I have replaced the bb, re-greased and reinstalled every part, (several times) yet it's still happening. it's not the saddle or seat post, and it's not the bars. I have tried different pdeals too.
Any ideas? Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

nostromo | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have always found the problem to be dirt getting down between the seatpost and seat tube. Grit gets throw up onto the junction by the rear tyre and works its way down between the two surfaces. The result is a creaking noise.

You can usually tell if this is the case by pedalling out of the saddle and seeing if it still makes a noise.

The bike frame is very good at transferring and even amplifying noises too, which is why it often sounds as if the sound is coming from the cranks.

Just clean out the tube and reinstall with insulating tape over the junction between post and tube.

The Rumpo Kid | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you checked your shoes? (Not as daft as it sounds).

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

Its a pain to sort out. I recommend getting a grease gun and basically taking off everything and reassembling it with grease on every thread.

Mat Brett | 10 years ago
0 likes

I've spent hours chasing creaks around various bikes. Like dunnoh, I've taken the cable guide off from underneath the BB before, slapped some grease on, and that has cured the problem.

Another good one is to check your chainring bolts, if you've not already done that. Take them out, grease them, sling them back in again.

If you have a turbo trainer, might be worth putting your bike on there and getting someone else to check where the noise is coming from as you pedal. Sometimes it turns out to be miles away from where you think - the headset or something.

If all that fails, turn up your iPod.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you checked the frame for cracks?

Manchestercyclist | 10 years ago
0 likes

perhaps it's the pedal, since it's just one side

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Have you checked your chain is under the right tension and that its not worn or the cassette?

When pedalling, if you are only getting in a certain points. Its more likely to be one of those

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

I had the same thing - it was the cable guide. Took it off, greased it and tightened it back up and no more creak

Latest Comments