Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cleaning Brake Pads Residue

Looking for some advice.... I used the services of my local bike shop today for a quick service while I was in work. Being the ultimate professionals that they are, they decided to give my rims a quick wipe with brake cleaner to removed the nasty yellow residue left on my carbon rims from the pair of quick stop yellow pads. Unfortunately however the cleaner did not only remove the yellow residue but also the majority of my Cosmic Ultimate decals.... Plebeians!

I've contacted Mavic and hopefully they will be able to supply me with a couple of replacements, in the meantime what product do you guys recommend using to clean the yellow marks from the remainder of my rim??

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

hampstead_bandit | 10 years ago
0 likes

isopropyl alcohol used sparingly on a clean rag, and only on the brake track

brake pads prepared by picking out any debris with scapel, sanded very gently with fine grit paper and then cleaned with iso alcohol

blablablacksheep20 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Bit of degreaser works well, then let it dry out  1

Gkam84 replied to blablablacksheep20 | 10 years ago
0 likes
blablablacksheep20 wrote:

Bit of degreaser works well, then let it dry out  1

That is alright on metal rims, not on carbon.

It sounds like degreaser they used which takes off stickers and printed letters on tyres

8701dg | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks mate, will give that a try! Must have been strong stuff they used, it's removed the "Continental" from the tyre as well!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like they used some sort of chemical which affected the decals. ANYTHING that says "brake cleaner" on it, is a no-no near decals.

Hot soapy water and a soft tooth brush  3

Latest Comments