Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

It's Sunny!

By the time I get some responses and make the purchase this may well be irrelevant given our fickle weather system, however:
Can anybody recommend a good sun protection cream/spray for riding in, particularly for someone who sweats buckets?
Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Richthornton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Gkam, I was pretty sure you meant that comment tongue in cheek. I actually don't use protection all that often either, but a couple of my rides over the recent sunny period had to come in the middle of the day, in full force of the sun. Knowing that I'm protected to a degree enables me to stay out longer so I really wanted to find a potion that could give some protection to my face which goes bright red very easily and sweats an incredible amount.
For anybody reading this looking for the same I can add my +1 to Riemann P20. It really performed well and I guess I can put it away now for the rest of the year!

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I didn't mean to make it into a discussion about skin cancer, which is not only caused my exposure to UV rays, but by smoking, viruses and in some cases, medication.

Unless its over 20c I normally don't bother with any creams or protection. I rarely burn or tan. I go mildly brown and then it goes away in a couple of days because there is never consistent sunshine

Richthornton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the tips, P20 was purchased and has been used to my satisfaction.
You can keep your skin cancer, plus razor sharp tan lines look good to other cyclists but to the rest of the population look like the most ridiculous t-shirt tan.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Perhaps I should have "Rule Fived" my dad and his doctor when he was having his treatment for skin cancer  3

Tan lines = Good.

Lesions = Bad.

lball9 replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

Perhaps I should have "Rule Fived" my dad and his doctor when he was having his treatment for skin cancer  3

Tan lines = Good.

Lesions = Bad.

+1

700c | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rule#5 my arse! It may leave a nice tan, but it'll also leave you at increased risk of skin cancer..

Wish I'd known about these products before Sunday's sportive! Am now sporting razor sharp burn lines on my arms, the factor 20 just slid off when I attempted to re-apply..

Gkam84 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Rule #5 ..... It sometimes hurts to get burnt, but it leaves a nice tan  4

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

It may not have been Home Bargains, it may have been Quality Save, I don't know how prevalent these places are outside of the North West.

NeilG83 | 10 years ago
0 likes

I have found Riemann P20 to be very good. It's quite expensive, but it's a liquid rather than a cream so you probably use less and you only need to apply it once.

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

Keep your eye out in your local Homebargains store as they often have bottles of it in there on the cheap.

matdicko | 10 years ago
0 likes

I agree with Farrell, me and missus swear by P20, it's quite expensive, although it is available much cheaper on eBay. One application lasts all day and its waterproof so sweating isn't an issue. It goes on clear so no streaks.

I suffer with dry sensitive skin and most sun creams irritate me. P20 is one of the few that doesn't, I don't use anything else for cycling, golf or the beach.

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

+1 for P20. Expensive, but worth it

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

P20 is a good all dayer and was recommended to me by my dad, who was recommended it by a doctor.

There was a report last year that showed that the own brand suncreams for Boots and Tesco outperformed the major brands so worth bearing in mind before you spend 3 or 4 times as much on a lower rated sun protection.

Latest Comments