Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The ubiquitous Carlton Kirby

An old chestnut, I know but... Argh! Why is Carlton Kirby determined to ruin my procycling enjoyment?! The man is everywhere. I cannot understand how he keeps getting work. To listen to his commentary is to hear a man drowning - the guesswork, the misidentifications, the tedious Partridge-esque turns of phrase, the needless shouting that does not inject excitement in the final... The way he 'wings it' reminds me of those psychic charlatans doing 'cold reading'. Anyone else would be preferable. Anyone. There are many other commentators who actually know what they are talking about. His co-commentators often sound embarrassed. I know I am. He makes watching almost unbearable. As each new race starts I pray it won't be him but increasingly often I am disappointed.  20 Sorry for venting but thanks for listening. I couldn't hold it in any more. Hearing his voice in the opening seconds of tonight's Dauphine coverage finally sent me over the edge  14

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

65 comments

simon F | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm pretty sure the aussie guy is Matt Keenan. He's better than quigley but his pronunciation lacks something - Velloo, Damusoo, Kenny Isselonde

technojim | 10 years ago
0 likes

The pirate feed I watched had Matt Keenan, an Aussie on his own with no co-commentator. He's very good at recognising riders and giving you a quick fact about them - so good that's pretty much all he does. It just sounds like a role call and gets boring pretty quickly.

It could be worse, it could be Phil and Paul.

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not sure if it's the same one (the Australian guy) but I think itv4 used an Australian guy once that had the most monatone voice ever. Made Sean Kelly sound lively!

Oh and I have to mention (again) Declan Quigley. Spolit my Giro at times!

ricolek | 10 years ago
0 likes

Does anyone know who commented Dauphiné yesterday on Sky Sports 3? I was watching a pirate stream and the man sounded Australian but I'm no expert on accents so.. It was horrible, like a robot who was filled with short phrases e.g. "Team Sky is the best. Here's Samuel Sanchez. Veilleux on the front."

Kirby sounds like he doesn't care anymore, like it was holiday for him. But I still prefer him over the robot from Sky Sports.

mr_fox | 10 years ago
0 likes

it wasnt the best, but at least it wasn't Duffield and his inane waffling garbage-fest of nonsense rambling... #lowvolume

Pages

Latest Comments