Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Does cycling attract more arrogant folk than other sports?

The reason I ask the question......

I'm currently out for a few hours on the bike and have stopped at a small cafe in ambergate for coffee and cake. As I am out by myself I'm not giving anyone the opportunity to slip away with my bike so I wheeled in in to the cafe to order before I was going to take it out with me to sit outside.
The cafe owner didn't seem to bothered that I brought it in while ordering but then I hear someone chirp up behind me (a fellow cyclist) and the conversation had gone something like this:
Cyclist "you can't bring THAT in here".
Me "I'm just bringing it in while ordering and will be sitting outside"
Cafe owner " Dont worry we have never had one pinched to date, but then I have just tempted fait!"
Me "well it to expensive for me to have it pinched"
Cyclist "Dont worry but they'll nick my R3 before they nick THAT!"
Me "well I can't afford to have MINE nicked"

As I walked out his R3 was indeed looking like a nice bike and just so we could all tell he was a competitive cyclist he'd been kind enough to leave a race number attached from his last event.

So, if you are that man my personal opinion is that you sir are an arse!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

30 comments

Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes

Taken mine in to a pub, I did ask first though. Uni a few times, shops and what not. I don't think people have much of a problem with it! I have noticed the amount of arses on the road recently, seems like nobody wants to say hi! I think in winter the purists are out to play, they know your a true cyclist rather than the fair weather folk.

bike_food replied to Cycle_Jim | 10 years ago
0 likes
Cycle_Jim wrote:

I have noticed the amount of arses on the road recently, seems like nobody wants to say hi! I think in winter the purists are out to play, they know your a true cyclist rather than the fair weather folk.

Couldn't agree more.

As for the guy in the cafe, I'm sure you were taken aback by his comments at the time so a quick one liner was hard to come by, maybe just laughing out loud would've drawn his attention to his narcissistic tendencies but probably not.

Colin Peyresourde | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm. Lots to say. I have taken my bike into Sainsbury's on one occasion. But for a quick dash inside (noting queue length, length of time to be served etc) I might leave my bike outside.

Perhaps noting that you had chosen to bring you bike in when the R3 rider had trusted his for the sake of other cafe users was deemed rude in its own way. I think there are cases to be made both ways. I just wouldn't get upset about it. On an emotional level I would state rule no. 5.

I don't think arrogance is the preserve of cyclists by any means. Ego, bravado etc. are all evident in any sport I've been involved in. But cycling does have in-built snobbery written large. For some people this is an appeal, for others it perhaps proves their own sense of inequality in the world. Many of the responses have been as quick to judge the individual on his bike alone, rather than the fact that the poster may have caused an offence to the R3 rider.

I would say that your pedals should do the talking, and that if you feel inferior figure out why that is. Your bike may slow you down, but that doesn't make you an inferior cyclist, because lb for lb you maybe better. But if you are jealous of another mans ride you should not be. You do not know the road he has travelled to get it and if it bothers you think about what you need to do to buy it, is THAT worth it to you. All this angst about another rider is so very un-zen.

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

Refer him to Rule #75. Anyway, the point here is not object or not object to wheeling the bike inside, but the knobs snobby attitude to his and your bike models etc, that and the race number, tosser. He probably keeps his ski lift pass from Les Arcs on his jacket all year long too.

The _Kaner | 10 years ago
0 likes

I think you are in some way correct regarding the arrogance of certain cyclists...the elitist...always one to boast of his latest acquisition etc...
I never visit cafes with my bike, preferring to solo cycle in around 99% of my endeavours, never felt the need to stop off for cake/coffee.
It does pee me off quite regularly when ignored by said type of cyclist, like I'm some piece of scum, in his £400 r0ph@ socks....giving the 1000 yard stare as you acknowledge him in passing....
Each to his own, I don't waste too much time thinking about it. I just keep riding, knowing I'm all the better for it and most likely a better feeling of inner well being trumps his elitist attitude...

arrieredupeleton | 10 years ago
0 likes

Not many people here have answered your question but I think the answer is yes. It's partly down to the fact it's often a solitary pursuit for which communication skills aren't often required. Secondly, because like golf, everything you ride or wear can be quickly assessed by the trained eye and calculated in £s, it can attract a certain amount of folk you wouldn't necessarily share a couple of pints with. Thirdly, I think lack of acknowledgment of a fellow cyclist can be (and sometimes is) arrogant, it's sometimes a shock to see someone if you've been out in the country on your own for a few hours and lack of a wave is purely down to shock.

R3 man is a dick though, and you get them everywhere. There's probably a knitting website/forum somewhere with the same thread! Arrogant knitters  19

shockleader | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was riding my Dutch roadster complete with 80 litres of shopping in the panniers (yes they are huge) along the shared NCN route 4 in Llanelli when some bright spark shot past shouting "I hope you don't drive like you cycle". Quite what his point was bearing in mind that this is a shared path used by little kids, walkers etc. I'll never know but obviously the idea that I was riding a slow heavy bike fully laden after a visit to Lidls freaked him out. He needn't have worried, I don't drive!

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

A Colnago CLX3 isn't exactly a shabby bike, good thing you weren't on mine!

Cycleoptic | 10 years ago
0 likes

Depends on how busy and time I suspect.
I took my bike into HSBC bank in Notting hill, as just needed to pay a cheque in, if it had been busy I wouldn't have bothered.

Staff even held door open for me..

bigant | 10 years ago
0 likes

Possible answer: 'They'd get them both, I chained mine to yours'

dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes

In my experience recently, there are a lot of Road cyclists that appear ill mannered, arrogant or miserable at best (I say recently because all the riders who I've met in the winter months mostly seem quite jolly and sociable - which doesn't really make sense).

miles_from_anywhere replied to dunnoh | 10 years ago
0 likes
dunnoh wrote:

In my experience recently, there are a lot of Road cyclists that appear ill mannered, arrogant or miserable at best (I say recently because all the riders who I've met in the winter months mostly seem quite jolly and sociable - which doesn't really make sense).

It is true that the rise in temperature brings out the rubbish.

spongebob | 10 years ago
0 likes

Agreed if all cyclist took their bikes in while ordering it just would not work.

indyjukebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

He has a more expensive bike and is smug about it. Why should that bother you? Unless you felt a pang of jealousy or something like that. And felt the need to post about it?

On the cafe aspect, I never take a bike in. Its bad enough having to deal with a smelly sweaty person in the queue, then you have to avoid his/her dirty bike too? Much nicer to the other users to leave the bike outside.

Tinternet_tim replied to indyjukebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Based on your comment and the following comment there is obviously two different camps on what is acceptable re: cafe/bike etiquette. As I said before, common sense is usually a good leveller and if it's busy I'd rather find an alternative cafe rather than leave either of my bikes outside unlocked. Too many stories of bikes being stolen in seconds.

As for the jealousy comment, you couldn't have been more wrong. I love road bikes and mountain bikes and will very happily drool over any that catch my eye, or enter discussion on how these dream machines ride.
However, to make comments in the way he did reminder me of a school ground argument where one kid tells the other that his dad is better than the others dad or a mum boasting of her kids achievement....a bit cringe-worthy really. But then again, that's just my views and I thought forums were for sharing such things? I wanted to share a little cycling related story on a cycling forum for cycling enthusiast to get their views and opinions. Several of you have shared your views and I am now the wiser for it!

bashthebox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Meh, I wouldn't let it get you down. It was probably just a bit of a thoughtless remark rather than an attempt to one-up you.

The sun's out, have a recovery beer-or-wine-or-gin and smile about things.

Steveal | 10 years ago
0 likes

Yep, he sounds an arse. I'm only half an hour away from Ambergate, I may pop down next Sunday, I quite fancy swapping my knackered old commuter for an upgrade  19

dodgy | 10 years ago
0 likes

You should've gone outside, leaned your bike up and rode home on his while he was getting served  19

Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

What on earth were you riding? Lol  3

Ignore him, the guy was being an idiot, he probably wanted lots of 'wow' and 'ooh' over his bike!

Tinternet_tim replied to Super Domestique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ha ha, all your comments have made me chuckle and restored my faith in the cycling community!

I was riding a Colnago CLX3 with some upgraded Campag hoops so not cutting edge but not really shabby either. Maybe its because its one of the 'made in Taiwan' range rather than Italian built  10
Surely there is a rule somewhere in the rule book where you don't refer to others steeds as THAT  1

Think I'll just about get over it  3

Tinternet_tim | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm now home and glad it wasn't just me who found him to be a bit of a 'tool bag'. Totally agree with the comments re: not taking bikes in to packed cafes and shops and a little common sense is always required.

The fact that he butted in when it wasn't required was a bit out of order. But the comment that got to me was him smuggly pointing out he owned an Cervelo R3....or R3 as he fondly referred to it and why would any would be thief possible want to knick my bike when his was available! Was it wrong for me to secretly wish that someone had pinched it:-)

It's just lucky I hadn't been out on my old commuting bike, I'm thinking he'd probably spat on me:-)

As I was outside enjoying the sun and coffee the owner popped out for a chat and to admire my substandard bike  1 so he obviously wasn't bothered that I had brought it in for a couple of minutes.

As matey was obviously such an amazing cyclist I'm sure he must read this forum, after all even us weekend warriors do, so I'm hoping he chirps up again to explanation his unwanted input:-)

cidermart | 10 years ago
0 likes

'Hat' for being pragmatic and not telling the spangle to go do one. Just think common sense is the order of the day afterall the owner, initially, said nothing and the shop was not packed.

northstar | 10 years ago
0 likes

Ignore him, it's none of his business, you get idiots everywhere it seems.

notfastenough | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can see both sides of the debate, but regardless, he does sound like a weapon.

Bob's Bikes | 10 years ago
0 likes

Stopped at a cafe whilst touring in Scotland (sorry can't remember where) a few years ago and was invited to bring the bike inside by the owner/manager.

different strokes for different folks

robbieC | 10 years ago
0 likes

Anyone visiting StP will witness me and many other cyclists on occasion, pushing a cycle into the one or other of the shops to get stuff before we board the train. Done it in Glasgow too without a problem.

Bloke seems a bit of a tool.

dodgy | 10 years ago
0 likes

If you are actually in the cafe *now*, post a picture of him so we can all have a good laugh.

However, it is somewhat unorthodox to bring a bike into the cafe  7

BenMWilliamson replied to dodgy | 10 years ago
0 likes
dodgy wrote:

I agree but should it be like that?

Personally, I feel the same way in the sense that my bike is too valuable for it to be knicked and so I have taken it into cafes - and even a couple of shops - but I have never had anyone chirp up about it.

If I were you I would just ignore him and mentally label him as a bit of an 'idiot' (or any other abusive word you can think of...).

dodgy replied to BenMWilliamson | 10 years ago
0 likes
BenMWilliamson wrote:
dodgy wrote:

Imagine a busy cafe, like my local cafe (Eureka Cyclist's Cafe), you'd have perhaps 20 bikes in the shop.

I just don't think it's practical. What seems reasonable to one person (say 2 bikes, 3, 4?) and the owner (none, 1?) and everyone else will never be the same.

BenMWilliamson replied to dodgy | 10 years ago
0 likes
dodgy wrote:
BenMWilliamson wrote:
dodgy wrote:

Imagine a busy cafe, like my local cafe (Eureka Cyclist's Cafe), you'd have perhaps 20 bikes in the shop.

I just don't think it's practical. What seems reasonable to one person (say 2 bikes, 3, 4?) and the owner (none, 1?) and everyone else will never be the same.

Ah yes I can understand that. But if he is just popping in to order before going outside again..?

I guess that it relies a bit on good old common sense!

Ultimately it should be decided by the shop/cafe owner.

Latest Comments